Izizwe Township Projects
KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image

Izizwe Township Projects

Eye opening and fulfilling

The Adult and child literacy was a great experience. It was eye opening to see how much education is needed and wanted for people of all ages. Was amazing to be able to help them even though it was only for a short while.

Heart warming and eye opening

Meeting the children and adults in the township and seeing how the work being done is helping them first hand. I enjoyed my stay and wish i could have stayed for longer. Even though it was short it was still very worth it.

Perspective-giving experience

I enjoyed the everyday interaction with the locals and being able to make an impact in the lives of others. i enjoyed my stay at the volunteer house with so many new people to meet and spend time with. It was an awesome experience.

Best two weeks ever

Working with the kids during the Izizwe Holiday Program was incredible. It felt so important to be apart of such an essential program to help educate and better the lives of others. It was an incredible experience and i would definitely do it again.

2 Weeks of bliss

Helping at the holiday program was a great experience and i enjoyed every moment of it. My time spent at the project has taught me a lot about the community and its culture. The kids were absolutely amazing and they loved us.

Life changing

Helping all the children during the holiday program was so rewarding to see them all have such a good time. I really enjoyed my stay especially meeting all the other volunteers and spending time with them as we are all here for the same purpose.

An amazing experience

It is the best way of experiencing a new culture, learning and helping at the same time. Working with the kids and the literature program was especially rewarding to me. i enjoyed my stay here and it definitely was a life changing experience.

Out of the box vacation

Everything was great, the kids were the best, the people the culture. i loved every moment of it. Its an amazing experience get to know a few people from different countries and learn how important it is to give help to people.

I loved being a volunteer

The best experience was to spend time with the small children, they are so lovely and sweet. I really felt loved by the small children. Its amazing. I would come back again but next time for much longer.

10 out of 10!

Had a great time in the volunteer house (which btw has an absolutely stunning view of the ocean and the beach is very close) together with the other volunteers. Lots of fun not only there but also in the projects - simply amazing. 10/10 and I would do again.

Dancing and learning from each other

I choose this project because I am a dancer and wanted to experience dancing in a different culture. Working with Florence and her dance group was very special and I learned many new things from them. It was such as shame when she broke her arm and we had to wait sometimes for such a long time, but what does it really matter, I am super satisfied with my experience.

Dancing with Florence!

I can only say that I really had a great experience and enjoyed my stay. It was a wonderful time and I choose Izizwe because of its dancing program. I loved working with Florence of Izizwe and learning Xhosa dancing moves while I could teach her and the kids some moves they did not know yet. It really was an exchange of knowledge and teaching each other.

I hope I can come back or see Florence in Holland one day!

Development aid in education for locals in PE, South Africa

There was no one experience which was the best but overall the entire experience was amazing. Working with the adults, children and the locals was really cool. Living in the multicultural house was also great with lots of different and nice people.

Two weeks to help

I loved engaging myself into the township via interacting with the children, adults and even volunteers. I had wish i came during a school term to help more with academics, but i still felt my experience was special.

Memorable experience

Going to the township and seeing the children so happy has really been good experience for me. I would come again but next would spend more time at the project. being able to to make a difference in the children's lives has been good for me.

The best experience of my life!

It was such an interesting experience to volunteer with Khaya at Izizwe Projects in the township. It gave me the chance to see, feel and work in the township, something I would normally not be able to do when I would just visit South Africa as a tourist. I had an amazing time and would recommend this program to anyone else.

Very nice and good experience

One of the best parts of our experiences at Izizwe Projects was that we can do different things at different projects and we can decide how we want to be involved.
Taking the children of Door of Hope to the beach for a day was certainly a highlight for me. So many thanks that you made this possible.

Great combination to travel, see South Africa and be part of something to make a change

I have been looking at different options to travel through South Africa and volunteering is a way that appealed to me as everything is organized and the costs are not that high if you compare it with living in a hostel and renting a car. Now I actually had the chance to see a side of South Africa I would never see when I was a tourist only.
I loved working with the kids and the people in the house made my stay a lot of fun, communication is sometimes difficult with the local people but that I expected as South Africa is so different from the Netherlands. I would love to go back and see everyone again! And teaching kids to swim was definitely a highlight!

I truly cherish my time with Khaya!

I truly cherish my time volunteering with Khaya. By being a part of Izizwe Projects in the Walmer Township I was able to take an active role in sports with some of the local school children. Working with the sports coordinators we were able to brainstorm new educational and engaging activities for the children, who always have big smiles on their faces and endless energy. The people I have met and worked with have been so open and welcoming towards me. They have made my volunteering an experience which has taught me and shaped me, and one which I will never forget. Thank you!

A 10-week internship

I heard some good stories from a student that has been before to Izizwe and I came together with 2 other students for 10 weeks.

The contact with all the local people and making the children happy was the best part for me. Waiting a lot and being on African time is challenging sometimes but you get used to it.

I loved my time with Izizwe and can recommend it to anyone who is willing to adapt and be flexible.

Seeing the good in people

Through a student at my school I heard about her experience with Izizwe Projects and we decided to come with 3 this year for 10 weeks.
I learned to look past peoples situations and see the good in all people, even though at first sight things are bad and people are poor, there is still a lot of happiness and friendliness.
I had an awesome experience!

A wonderful, unforgettable and very formative experience

Last year I went to Port Elizabeth, South Africa to do volunteer work in Walmer Township for three weeks. Overall I can say that it was an unforgettable and formative experience.
I was involved in a holiday program for children living in the township. Together with other volunteers I came up with games which we played with the children. We did dances and sport activities and it was all about fun which we and the children definitely had.
The weekends were free and if one wanted to one could have done trips which was a great thing. I made a Safari tour and visited a holiday village where I did activities like hiking and whale watching.

I lived in a house nearby together with other volunteers. Due to the fact that we were all from different countries, this was also an intercultural experience, as we all spoke different languages and had different traditions. Everyone was really nice, we cooked and ate together every evening and always had a lot of fun. I made two very good friends also from Germany and we are still in contact. One of them is in Port Elizabeth again right now because she liked the last time so much and wants to do volunteer work for a longer time now.

Sometimes it was very hard to go from the township back to our house and later back to Germany, as the people in the township are poor and have a different standard of living than we have in Germany. That is what I mean by saying it was a formative experience. After doing volunteer work in a country like South Africa one appreciates everything one has much more. I was very sad when I had to leave Port Elizabeth, also because I felt like not having done enough to help in the long run. In my opinion three weeks are too short for volunteer work.
Still, it is great to give the children love and to have a nice time with them.

Painting in the township

At Khaya Volunteer Projects, everything is arranged! This is really convenient. In the morning we get picked up and in the afternoon we are dropped back at the volunteer house.

At the Walmer Township we got to paint a children’s day-care with all the volunteers. This was lots of fun to do while the children from the day-care were really happy with it!

An amazing and impressive journey

I have learned a lot from the African dance style of Florence. I felt really welcome by everyone. I felt safe and all those people made me feel really happy. If i could have stayed longer i would but even though it was a short time i really had fun.

Being the change

Spending time with the kiddies and community members. Being able to enjoy the beach and the company at the house. Making a difference to a community in need. i would have enjoyed to spend more time volunteering.