KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image

Izizwe Township Projects

10 out of 10!

Had a great time in the volunteer house (which btw has an absolutely stunning view of the ocean and the beach is very close) together with the other volunteers. Lots of fun not only there but also in the projects - simply amazing. 10/10 and I would do again.

Dancing and learning from each other

I choose this project because I am a dancer and wanted to experience dancing in a different culture. Working with Florence and her dance group was very special and I learned many new things from them. It was such as shame when she broke her arm and we had to wait sometimes for such a long time, but what does it really matter, I am super satisfied with my experience.

Dancing with Florence!

I can only say that I really had a great experience and enjoyed my stay. It was a wonderful time and I choose Izizwe because of its dancing program. I loved working with Florence of Izizwe and learning Xhosa dancing moves while I could teach her and the kids some moves they did not know yet. It really was an exchange of knowledge and teaching each other.

I hope I can come back or see Florence in Holland one day!

Memorable experience

Going to the township and seeing the children so happy has really been good experience for me. I would come again but next would spend more time at the project. being able to to make a difference in the children's lives has been good for me.

The best experience of my life!

It was such an interesting experience to volunteer with Khaya at Izizwe Projects in the township. It gave me the chance to see, feel and work in the township, something I would normally not be able to do when I would just visit South Africa as a tourist. I had an amazing time and would recommend this program to anyone else.

Very nice and good experience

One of the best parts of our experiences at Izizwe Projects was that we can do different things at different projects and we can decide how we want to be involved.
Taking the children of Door of Hope to the beach for a day was certainly a highlight for me. So many thanks that you made this possible.

Great combination to travel, see South Africa and be part of something to make a change

I have been looking at different options to travel through South Africa and volunteering is a way that appealed to me as everything is organized and the costs are not that high if you compare it with living in a hostel and renting a car. Now I actually had the chance to see a side of South Africa I would never see when I was a tourist only.
I loved working with the kids and the people in the house made my stay a lot of fun, communication is sometimes difficult with the local people but that I expected as South Africa is so different from the Netherlands. I would love to go back and see everyone again! And teaching kids to swim was definitely a highlight!

I truly cherish my time with Khaya!

I truly cherish my time volunteering with Khaya. By being a part of Izizwe Projects in the Walmer Township I was able to take an active role in sports with some of the local school children. Working with the sports coordinators we were able to brainstorm new educational and engaging activities for the children, who always have big smiles on their faces and endless energy. The people I have met and worked with have been so open and welcoming towards me. They have made my volunteering an experience which has taught me and shaped me, and one which I will never forget. Thank you!

A 10-week internship

I heard some good stories from a student that has been before to Izizwe and I came together with 2 other students for 10 weeks.

The contact with all the local people and making the children happy was the best part for me. Waiting a lot and being on African time is challenging sometimes but you get used to it.

I loved my time with Izizwe and can recommend it to anyone who is willing to adapt and be flexible.

Seeing the good in people

Through a student at my school I heard about her experience with Izizwe Projects and we decided to come with 3 this year for 10 weeks.
I learned to look past peoples situations and see the good in all people, even though at first sight things are bad and people are poor, there is still a lot of happiness and friendliness.
I had an awesome experience!

A wonderful, unforgettable and very formative experience

Last year I went to Port Elizabeth, South Africa to do volunteer work in Walmer Township for three weeks. Overall I can say that it was an unforgettable and formative experience.
I was involved in a holiday program for children living in the township. Together with other volunteers I came up with games which we played with the children. We did dances and sport activities and it was all about fun which we and the children definitely had.
The weekends were free and if one wanted to one could have done trips which was a great thing. I made a Safari tour and visited a holiday village where I did activities like hiking and whale watching.

I lived in a house nearby together with other volunteers. Due to the fact that we were all from different countries, this was also an intercultural experience, as we all spoke different languages and had different traditions. Everyone was really nice, we cooked and ate together every evening and always had a lot of fun. I made two very good friends also from Germany and we are still in contact. One of them is in Port Elizabeth again right now because she liked the last time so much and wants to do volunteer work for a longer time now.

Sometimes it was very hard to go from the township back to our house and later back to Germany, as the people in the township are poor and have a different standard of living than we have in Germany. That is what I mean by saying it was a formative experience. After doing volunteer work in a country like South Africa one appreciates everything one has much more. I was very sad when I had to leave Port Elizabeth, also because I felt like not having done enough to help in the long run. In my opinion three weeks are too short for volunteer work.
Still, it is great to give the children love and to have a nice time with them.

Painting in the township

At Khaya Volunteer Projects, everything is arranged! This is really convenient. In the morning we get picked up and in the afternoon we are dropped back at the volunteer house.

At the Walmer Township we got to paint a children’s day-care with all the volunteers. This was lots of fun to do while the children from the day-care were really happy with it!

Living abroad

Meeting all the nice people and exploring this country has really been beneficial to me. Not only did i love working with the kids but i was also able to see the city and understand its people and the culture. i really enjoyed it and would do it again.

Rewarding experience

The best experience within this programme for me was the opportunities to immerse myself into the Walmer township community and get involved with a range of projects. Also the children and people I volunteered with at times, I really felt as though I was making an impact.

At times it lacked structure and there were long gaps between programmes so waiting is part of being in the township.

Amazing experience abd I learned a lot!

The biggest lesson I learned was to basically relax more and be happy with what I have. I really enjoyed this experience and met so many new people in the township but also other volunteers.

Communication is a challenge if you are used to the European way and sometimes things do not happen as promised or as I expected and the program changes often but that is also Africa and how things work.

Izizwe projects

I had a great experience! I learned a lot about life and most of all appreciate what you have.
There is so much you can do for other people. I think you need to help whenever you can!
My internship was the best I ever had.

Fleur's experience

Meeting all the friendly people was really the best experience that I've had. Besides this I also really enjoyed the special holiday program, however this was poorly planned. Literacy lessons were great, those women were amazing!
Things to improve would be a bit more clear information about the project before hand and longer working days as well.
I would definitely recommend this project to others because the people are really amazing.