Door of Hope Orphanage
KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image

Door of Hope Orphanage

Fantastic Experience

Volunteering at Door of Hope and having the opportunity to work with children was a super experience. The program was very organised which allowed us to make use of our short stay. The activities which were organised allowed us to experience Port Elizabeth.

Volunteering in South Africa - Door of Hope Orphange

Everything. There wasn't anything i didn't think went well. I managed to experience all parts of the two weeks i was there. Everyone was friendly and made us feel welcomed. Being apart of the program made me feel like i always lived in South Africa. Loved it all and i just wish i was there longer.

Super experience

I had so much fun and learnt so much about life, that my outlook and perception on things has changed for the better. i enjoyed spending time with the kids and teaching them new ways to learn. i realized that you don't have to be serious about everything but enjoy life to the full.

Loc's adventure in PE

I think the best experience is exploring the city and getting to know the students here. I actually love everything about this program. I loved getting to meet the kids and spending time with them. Even though it was for a short time i think I was able to connect with them alot.

Kristi's adventure in Port Elizabeth

As i am not used to kids this was definitely a learning experience for me. I got to know all the children and adults at the Door of Hope Orphanage and make unique connections. I enjoyed spending time with the kids and helping the mamas out. At the volunteer house everyone was very nice as well. I also enjoyed all of Samantha's help as well as John for the city tour and helping us book for Addo National Elephant Park.

Great experience

My first impression of South Africa was that it is an interesting country with different cultures and very different from Europe. It has westernized parts, but is also very different to Europe. I like my project a lot in the orphanage, it is important work to assist with caring for these children. The people have another way of interacting, especially regarding friendships and trust.

I'll be back!

This was an incredible experience and I got to really create relationships with all the people that I worked with and all the kids. Living in the house with all the volunteers was so much fun! The impact all the people had on me will last a lifetime and I know that I will be back to my family at Door of Hope!!

First time further away from home more than 9000km

The whole two weeks was unforgettable, living together with a bunch of dutch girls, volunteering at the door of hope. Have time off to see the country and do crazy stuff like bungee jumping. getting to know all these lovely people.

Experiencing happiness in the smallest of things

We had the freedom to play what we wanted with the children. We painted, blew bubbles, played games. Other than Door of Hope we also had the chance to participate in other projects such as Izizwe. the variability during our short stay was great.

I volunteered at Door of Hope

As I am only 16 years old I search the internet to find programs for my age group and there is not a lot out there so I really was happy to find this project. The combination of volunteering and seeing the surrounding area with Addo Elephant Park and other outings was great for me. I also liked the house with the other volunteers.
The biggest lesson I learned is to be more grateful of what I have and the opportunities I have in life. The huge difference in South Africa between a modern and touristic country and the poverty in the township communities let me see how much has to be changed in the world to be fair and happy for all.

Great time in South Africa

To be in contact with so many volunteers. To be apart of something good and to see so many happy faces in the township. Going out with the volunteers was really fun like sand boarding, city tour, surfing and the rugby match we went to see.

Learning experience

I really enjoyed the addo elephant park weekend outing as well as the city tour, the beautiful days on the beach was also amazing. I met alot of different people from all over the world and really enjoyed spending time with them.

New experience

I got to know new people and their culture, i enjoyed talking with the locals about their situations and lives. The trips we did, safari, sand boarding and surfing. Karaoke night with the other volunteers. I really enjoyed myself and would definitely do it again.

The perfect project for what I was looking for

I spend a lot of time on the internet searching for a program that would fit me; I did not want to stay in a host family but with others in a volunteer house and Khaya offered just that. Some organizations put you in a backpackers hostel but I think that is not very nice with all the changing people and sharing a room with new people all the time so the volunteer house just for volunteers was an important part for my choice.
They also offer airport pick ups and looking at their Facebook and website I had a good feeling with this organization and they did not disappoint; the house, the other volunteers and coordinator Samantha are awesome!
There are a lot of people out there that have so much and have so little happiness that for me it was a very positive thiong to see people with less but still so happy and friendly. I really loved my stay with Mama Gladys and the kids.

I had a great time and learned a lot

I found out about this project through a German agency Kulturlife who works together with Khaya and it sounded very good and it resembled my ideas and expectations.

I really enjoyed the combination of 'work' and free time as there is so much to do around Port Elizabeth and to go away for the weekend. The location of the house is also perfect as it is close to the beach.

I learned to be more grateful for the things I have and it was wonderful to be part of the Door of Hope family, I really felt at home.

Volunteering at Door of Hope in South Africa

The best thing about participating in this project was that we had quite some freedom. We rented a car to be able to do our own thing outside of project hours but it also allowed us to take the kinds on some outings. The best one was when we took the whole group of kids to the swimming pool!

As an older volunteer the volunteer house is shared with many young volunteers so it can be challenging at times.

It's all about giving an experience!

Working at Door of Hope with Mama Gladys was a challenge at times, but we really gave a lot of joy and fun and special attention to individual children. As an older volunteer the rest of the volunteers are quite young and the house is mostly suited for this age group. I recommend this project because I feel that all children at Door of Hope deserve the attention they lack and volunteers can support Mama Gladys with providing that attention.

Life lessons

The best thing about this project was to have the contact with all the people and all the histories they told me. To see all the poorness and to deal with it was the biggest life lesson I've learned here. It really was a good experience!

Warm even in winter

i was warmly welcomed by warm hearts at the door of hope and even at the house at Marshall. I have learnt alot about the culture and lifestyle of people in South Africa and really felt good to be able to make a difference.