Big 5 Wildlife Conservation
KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image KHAYA Volunteer Projects Header Image

Big 5 Wildlife Conservation

Amazing!! once in a life time

To learn about the South African culture and to meet the people. To give something back to the community and also working with the animals was an amazing experience and i really enjoyed and would love to do again.

Big 5 volunteering!

After my round-trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town I chose to do voluntary work at the Big 5 project in Paterson which is a one-hour drive from Port Elizabeth. My airport pick up was all arranged via Khaya and when I arrived at the voluntary house we left in a half hour for the game drive. Great! Let's spot that lion and leopard, my two animals missing to complete the big 5.

Looks like we did a game drive every morning, which is great because we saw a lot of animals. Not only the big 5, but also the most beautiful birds. In the afternoons we mostly had the social part of our day: 2 days a week we went to the local school and played with the children. Very fun! On other days we worked in the greenery of the reserve and, for example, kept the paths free of trees and bushes. Once a week we had a fun activity. Think of canoeing, going to the elephant farm or visiting the cat sanctuary. The weekends we were off and usually did something with the other volunteers like visiting Port Elizabeth.

To be short: if you want to see more of the beautiful animals and nature of South Africa, definitely do voluntary work at this project.