Volunteer to teach computer and IT skills in Indian schools
Kenosis Foundation Header Image Kenosis Foundation Header Image

Volunteer to teach computer and IT skills in Indian schools

One month teaching in Bangalore

I came from the UK and volunteered with Kenosis Foundation for 1 month in Bangalore, India. I taught computer and life skills to disadvantaged young adults aged 18-25 years old. This included the basics of hardware, software, typing, Microsoft Office, security, and the internet. I also taught the students how to prepare their CV, and how to perform well in an interview. When I first arrived at the centre, there were some technical issues with three of the computers, but I was able to resolve these within the first day.

I enjoyed teaching the students, and they were all keen to learn during my lessons. This made delivering the content enjoyable. My biggest issue that I faced was the language barrier between me and some of the students. This meant I had to remember to speak more slowly and clearly. There was also usually another member of staff available to translate for me when necessary. I also had to learn how to plan and deliver lessons, as this was my first time teaching. On some days, the student attendance was poor, which was a little demotivating.

My living arrangement was with Issac, the founder of Kenosis Foundation, near to the teaching centre. His wife and daughter also lived at the house. The house was a little too small for 4 people, although I did get my own room. Laundry facilities were also lacking, and I had to wash all my clothing by hand. I was, however, provided with plentiful and delicious food throughout my stay. Issac’s only transportation was a motorcycle, which I wasn't particularly happy about, as the driving standard is very poor in India.

I feel that this program was very rewarding overall, and I would recommend it to other people who want to make a difference in India. Areas for improvement are the accommodation, transportation, and training before the project. I was given minimal training before I started, and I feel that some online training before I came to India would have been helpful. I was provided with some material to base my lessons on, and this was very useful.

• Kenosis Foundation responded to this review February 19, 2016 at 4:22 AM