Jamaica Volunteer Programs Participant Reviews

Teaching abroad

I had a life changing experience with the Jamaica Volunteer Project. I was able to see Jamaica's education system and compare it to the United States education. I am leaving Jamaica with a whole new outlook on teaching, and the use of teaching supplies. Staying at Smokey Manor could not have been better or more accommodating.

Teaching abroad

This was an amazing experience that I will never forget. I have learned so much from Jamaica and the people in this country. The staff at Smokey Manor made this study abroad experience wonderful. The staff were extremely helpful and made their home a home away from home for us. They were always around and ready to answer and help in anyway they could. I have learned so much and look forward to sharing my experience with others when I get home.

Teaching opportunity abroad

This trip abroad was an amazing experience that I will never forget. Everyone was incredibly accommodating and welcoming. The volunteer opportunities were truly memorable and life-changing. I have learned so much about international education and how to be more effective for my students back in America. The excursions were also well-planned and a full cultural immersion. I am so thankful for this opportunity and have gained a true appreciation for Jamaican culture. I can only hope to return to visit the friendly staff and now, new friends again.

Jamaica Study Abroad

This experience is one of my best being abroad. We were immersed into the culture through various activities, food, and experiencing the culture first hand. It was a great experience to see the true side of Jamaica, not the tourist attractions. I was challenged, encouraged, and supported throughout the entire week. I can't wait to come back and experience it again!

Primary education volunteer trip

Had a wonderful experience. I loved being able to try different foods and experience the culture. Going to the schools and working was a great experience. I love how staff always stayed with us and made sure we were comfortable and having fun.

Primary education volunteer trip

I came to Jamaica with a group of educators from my university! The staff of Jamaica Volunteer Programs was beyond helpful and did all in their power to make sure I had a good trip! They made me feel safe the entire time because a staff member stayed with me. They even gave me suggestions of foods to try, which was very helpful! They really took time to get to know each one of us and made us feel comfortable in Jamaica.

Yeah man!!

This was my first time away from the United States, and I have enjoyed every minute of this trip. The staff has been great and managed our time well.The excursions have been the best of all and getting a chance to visit Jamaican schools has warmed my heart. I would love to stay here for additional weeks. I look forward to returning one day and will most likely use this program when traveling here.

Program: International Student Service Learning in Jamaica

Service/Cultural Explortion

This experience was incredible. It is often said that you get more than you give when you volunteer. That has definitely been the case. There are countless way that our visit will change our lives forever. Our eyes were opened to beautiful new culture, the faith, the customs, the architecture, people, the amazing food. Interacting with the children was a celebration every day. They were joyful and made us appreciate the wonder of life. The Jamaican people are amazing.

Program: Volunteer Building Projects in Jamaica

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Key Learning Service Trip

This trip has been excellent for my students. The staff has worked hard to make sure that we are comfortable and have the supplies and resources we need to make our service possible. The orphanage we worked at also worked hard to make sure we were able to accomplish our goals and theirs. My students loved the variety of excursions offered to them and really enjoyed being immersed in the local culture and community.

Program: Alternative Spring Break in Jamaica

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

The best endings come from the worst stories

This trip has not only been life changing, but a treat. I have never in my life been so excited to give back to a community I'm not apart of. The kids at the school at the school made my trip. They made me the happiest I've ever been. Yet its sad to see these kids suffer so much, but have a smile that would break your heart.

Program: International Student Service Learning in Jamaica