Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions Header Image Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions Header Image

Working With Children In Jamaica

Our Jamaica mission trip 2017

This service trip was the best experience of my life. I am sure no other trip will beat this one. I was able to see how other parts of the world live and socialize. I loved it right when we got off the plane. I was able to grow so much closer to so many of the kids I helped and the kids in my class. I truly believe that I helped the kids and teachers and impacted their lives. Also, going into this trip I thought I would be the one changing people's lives but honestly the kids impacted my life entirely. I have never been so upset to leave a place so much. I hope to one day go back and serve again. I would highly recommend this program.

Awesome experience

I had a great time in Jamaica. This experience was pretty amazing and I’ll always remember it. I loved playing sports with the boys at the boy's home and working with the kids at the school. Working at the school was a really cool experience, especially when I helped the kids with their schoolwork. This service was pretty powerful and I'm glad I was a part of it. My favorite part of my service was tutoring the kids in the school. I also really enjoyed the food too.

10/10! Would recommend

I was fortunate enough to do this service trip with my high school. We spent a week in Jamaica. When I arrived back from my trip I was asked, "What was one moment that stuck with you from the trip?" After thinking about this question I could not come up with an answer. Everyday there was something special that stuck with me. Nicole and Omar were wonderful hosts. They knew their job vary well. They helped us have an amazing experience and introduced us to the culture as well. I hope I am able to come back next year and do it again.

Our Jamaican mission 2017

Nothing has been more impactful in my life. I learned about different cultures, but they also welcomed me into theirs with open arms. When I worked with the kids, saying goodbye was a very hard thing to do. Also yaaaaaas Briiiiiiiii

Our mission 2017

Overall, this service trip was the best experience of my life. I was able to see how another part of the world lives, and once I saw I can make an impact, I loved it right away. I was able to grow closer to so many of the kids and truly help them and impact their lives. But there is no way they have any idea how much they impacted me. I was able to realize that I loved working with them and it made me want to go back.

P.S.- YAASS BRII

Great experience

It was a great time being with everyone getting to know them. Even though everything didn't go super smoothly it was a lot of fun, and I would love to go back again. Honestly loved using a wrench to turn the shower on and off, it may have been one of the funniest experiences I got to do. But i loved the shack we stayed in with our most pointless conversations.

Life changing

I have been a part of other international service trips, but this one was truly unique. Not only did we get the chance to work with children in a boys home, we got the chance to work with a local school, a local farmer and still get one day of tourism/relaxation. Nicole and Omar are the perfect balance. Omar immerses us in the Jamaican culture, but when we may not understand something, Nicole is there to further explain things. Overall, an incredible experience and I cannot wait to return.

MC mission trip

As the leader from our all-boys school, I could not be happier with the experience that was planned and implemented for our group of 15. All of our students said that it was a life-changing experience and it truly was for all of us. Everyone associated with coordinating this event worked hard to provide us with the best possible volunteer experience. The sites where we worked were wonderful and the children and adults we worked with at the school, the farm and the boys home were loving, welcoming and appreciative. We look forward to bringing another group to Jamaica next year.

Phenomenal!

As a first time volunteering abroad..and having worked with children as my profession, I was very excited to volunteer at Pringles Orphanage in Jamaica. Initially I was a bit nervous, being that I was the only volunteer amongst 23 teens and preteens. But the staff at the orphanage were very helpful..and the youth were great!...and welcomed me with open arms and hearts. I would create fun activities to do with the youth..which was a great and positive learning experience for me.. we learned from each other. My Host family was also great and made my stay very comfortable. It was like home away from home....and they prepared delicious Jamaican dishes. I was also able to enjoy and experience the True Jamaica by hanging out in town at the local spots with the natives during my down time. I would say that my volunteering was a positive and memorable experience that i will hold close to my heart and will never forget...and would definitely recommend!

Fun in the sun

During my trip we worked at Mt. Olivet Primary School. I really enjoyed working with the kids, they made a huge impact on my life. I also learned a lot about farming and all the different foods. I loved trying new foods especially the fruits. On the excursion day we went to Montego Bay. I loved this, it was really fun and the beach was beautiful.

Working with children in Ocho Rios

I'm a girl from Belgium from 17 years old and I did volunteerwork for 2 weeks in Ocho Rios with the organisation Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions.
My parents and friends were really concerned about the fact that I'm a girl of 17 years and I'm travelling so far away all on my own and staying with people I didn't know that well, but once I arrived in the airport there was already someone waiting on me and since that moment, I never felt "unsafe" or something, because the people I stayed with were like family. They cared so much about me and my roommate; they always asked if everything was okay, they always made delicious food, and they always made sure that we were enjoying our stay in Jamaica! I would definitely recommend the project of "working with children" to someone because the kids and the teachers give you soooo much love and everybody from there was thankful that I did volunteerwork for Jamaica. I loved the feeling that I really meant something for them!
I also did the Orphanage project, but that was only one day and that was really sad because the girls from the orphanage were so nice!
So if someone would like to do the Orphanage project, then you have to be sure that you are good advised about how many days you are going to that place because I was very disappointed when I knew that I only went one day to the orphanage.
But if I had to chance to go back now, I WOULD !!!
So that's very clear that I loved the 2 weeks in Jamaica!
I really lived in a different culture for 2 weeks and I will never forget that experience, everybody should do this one time in their life! ;)
x x x

Amazing experience helping orphans in Jamaica

I recently returned from a Girl Scout service trip to Jamaica volunteering at an orphanage for 2 days. The experience was life changing, and the services provided by Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions were excellent. The JVE staff were friendly, informative and made this trip fun for adults and girl scouts alike. The trip was safe and well organized and we accomplished what we set out to do for the orphanage. We are looking forward to doing a return trip next summer and working with Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions again. Now that we know what to expect -- we will be even better prepared in knowing what to bring and what activities to plan for the orphans (we needed more that we had!) We will also know better what to ask JVE to provide (we could have used more paint brushes and gardening tools ) so we can have maximum impact on the orphanage and make the world a better place for the amazing children who live there.

Girl Scouts Volunteer Abroad

Traveling abroad with 8 Girl Scouts and 7 other adults to volunteer can be very challenging, however with the assistance of Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions we had the most positive and rewarding experience! They took the stress away of planning the unknown. Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions assisted our group from the moment I contacted them and during the months of planning. They were with us the whole time we volunteered and made us feel very safe and at ease.

Volunteering at an orphanage was such a wonderful experience. It had such an impact on the girls and the adults. I think it was great for the girls to see how other people live and learn about the Jamaican culture. It was so rewarding for all of us to know that we were able to make an impact in the lives of others.

Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions made volunteering abroad very easy. The knowledge and experience of the staff is very obvious. These people are there to help you help others! I highly recommend volunteering abroad for a life changing experience and I highly recommend Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions to help with your planning needs to do so.

Our group had such a positive experience we hope to return next year!

Working with children

I always knew that I wanted to volunteer, but nothing really captivated me until I found an opportunity to volunteer in Kingston. I wasn't sure what to expect so I was very nervous, especially as a young woman travelling alone. I worked with children ages 4-17 at an orphanage. The other volunteers and I created a summer program for the kids where we held computer, math, english, and art classes. We also played games and had loads of fun! In addition to volunteering, I experienced Jamaican cuisine, the beautiful sights and the night life. I have since been back 5 times to visit the kids, one of which times my mum and step dad came to meet the kids and see the orphanage!
I could ramble on, so if you have any questions or would like to know more about my experience, feel free to contact Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions and ask to speak with me :)
I highly recommend the program!
- Sasha

MC 2017

Overall was a life changing experience. I was glad to be able to help others and at the same time learn about a unique culture. This is a once in a life time opportunity and I am so grateful that I had gone. I would highly recommend for others to go.

Garland Hall Children's Home

Natalie and Rhoja at Jamaica Volunteer Expeditions (JVE) provided a lot of information about the volunteer experience, including the hours, the age, the number of children, and the needs but I wasn't sure what to expect, especially since I was volunteering on my own. I wasn't sure if there would be other volunteers from other organizations. Natalie's email prompted me to prepare a few fun but educational activities and I also brought some workbooks as well.

When I arrived at the children's home, there was another long-term volunteer there but she ended up not coming while I was there. Although the staff at the home were friendly, it seemed like the volunteers were expected to work independently with the children. I found the home to be comfortable and clean and expected that the children had some structure during the day. However, I learned that there was very little structure so I created some structure for myself and the children but was also flexible in going with the flow as well. I'm glad that I had already planned some activities and brought all the materials needed with me.

I was only at the home for 3 full days and 2 half days but felt a strong connection with the children as each day passed. At times, I felt challenged in working alone with the children, either because the children were frustrated with themselves or each other but I tried my best to stay motivated and positive and work with the children to make things both fun and educational. On the last day, it was quite emotional, the staff and children gathered around and expressed their appreciation and I'm now thinking of ways to continue my support from overseas.

JVE did an excellent job at preparing me and were eager to receive feedback. My host family was excellent and by the end of the trip, I feel like I now have a second home and family in Jamaica.

The only complaint that I have is that I had to figure out lunch on my own, since the home did not provide any. With limited transportation and not being familiar with the area, that was a bit of a challenge.

Jamaica: Never forget

When I decided to go on this trip I wanted to experience something different and exciting. But when I actually came to Jamaica, went to the school, I not only experienced new things but was also taught and learned. The Mount Olivet Primary School was probably my most favorite part of the trip because I grew so many relations with kids, and they taught me how to open my heart to those around me.

Great time

I thought the volunteer work was great and the program was rewarding and I hope to come back again sometime. I made a lot of friends I would not have made otherwise. Thank you for this great opportunity to come out of my comfort zone and truly serve others.