Volunteering in an Organic Farm in Italy
Italy Farm Stay Header Image Italy Farm Stay Header Image

Volunteering in an Organic Farm in Italy

Unforgettable and quintessentially Italian

I spent one month as part of the Italy Farm Stay family in October of 2017. My original plan was to volunteer for two weeks but I loved it so much I was able to organise an extension for my stay. They were all very flexible and straightforward when discussing this.

It was olive harvest season and each morning I spent four to five hours in different groves learning from Giuseppe how to harvest correctly in order to produce the best oil. My favourite part was taking all the olives we had picked to the olive press and seeing how organic extra virgin olive oil is made and then tasting it later that same day. So delicious!

The wine harvest was over but I also learned a lot about the process of wine making when I accompanied Giuseppe to his cellar to check on the stages of fermentation, and whether the wine tasted good yet!

There were other jobs such as cleaning, physical work and plastering new rooms for yoga halls. We were able to choose among the volunteers who wanted to do what when and even suggest new jobs or change our working days and hours.

As for rest and relaxation there was plenty of time in the afternoon to hang out together or alone. We often would go for a walk to Sora (the town nearby) and we even walked to hilltop villages and to churches and castle ruins. We had the opportunity to practice yoga and meditation also. There is plenty to do and see! My highlight was a day hike to the top of the mountain. You are in the Abruzzo National Park and it is so beautiful.

Italy Farm Stay helped me improve my Italian, understand how an organic family farm functions in Italy, experience delicious local food and wine and best of all the honest friendliness and love of pure hearted Italians who really want a genuinely positive mutual experience.

Thank you Italy Farm Stay!!!

La Vita Dolce

I spent a total of 20 exciting and eventful days at Italy Farm Stay in Sept-Oct of 2015.

The work this time of year was varied (the weather perfect!)...from wine making, to harvesting, cleaning rooms, taking care of the animals, and daily kitchen chores. Guest numbers varied, and with them the dish numbers accordingly...however it was usually filled with a fun atmosphere.
Its not just work, but being a part of a real Italian family, with its ups and downs. I felt at home very quickly, and mealtime felt like family dinners, social with fresh healthy meals from the garden. Pomegranates and figs grow abundantly to be eaten off the trees. Yum. Alongside Giuseppe I learned so much, but most of all his great attitude and favourite words...'La Vita Dolce' :) Also his wine is the best you'll taste!
The location is beautiful and peaceful, with lots to see locally by foot, or negotiating a ride with whoever's going to town (they are very flexible).

>>One helpful note I found to be true is....LOTS OF MOSQUITOS! Take bug spray!

Overally my stay was fun & memorable, I made some great friends and learned a lot along the way....I feel like a piece of my heart will always be there, and everything I learnt there I will take with me.

Ciao and I hope to be back some day soon...GRAZIE MILLE