Tree Inventory and Monitoring
IPBio- Biodiversity Research Institute Header Image IPBio- Biodiversity Research Institute Header Image

Tree Inventory and Monitoring

Volunteering in the Atlantic forest

I was volunteering at IPBio just for three weeks but I would’ve like to stay much more! There were a lot of activities to do within the reserve, and in the free time with the other volunteers and the local
community. The time flies in that little paradise!

I was working in the tree inventory project because I consider it’s important to know the health status of the forest and how to improve it. It is also important because it lets you know the products and services that the forest provides, and the IPBio team makes a good link of cooperation with the Celine release center for wildlife, because they know when the trees have ripped fruits and that is the best time to release birds or other animals who eat those fruits. What an amazing way to keep the forest in a natural balance!

The organization and facilities in the reserve are always awesome! They are very passionate with their job and care about the volunteers that go there.
I really recommend this experience

Tree inventory volunteer

I really enjoyed my time working as a volunteer at Reserva Betary. All the people working here are super nice and willing to talk and help. My major project is tree inventory as well as some creative art projects. I also involve in other projects when help needed. Tree inventory is a very hard work for me. Hiking under the hot sun or in raining days are not easy, especially on the abrupt slope. The worst is attacking by mosquitoes every day. However, when you stay so close with nature and see amazing creatures and interesting things happening around you, you know all the hard work paid off. All in all, it is great experience to live in the forest and work with enjoyable people. I would highly recommend Reserva Betary to those who love and care about nature. It will add some value if the tree inventory project could be more educational to let people know more about botany.

Awesome

I’m French and I passed two months at IPBIO, I really enjoy it, the staff are friendly and helpful. The landscape is amazing. I recommend it for everyone. Iporanga is a little but nice city.
You have a lot of exciting activity for your free time.
I learned about new culture, new language, new food, …
Thank you IPBIO !!

My experience

For me, ipbio was an awesome opportunity to discover brazil and live a new expreience, and i was not disappointed.

IPbio team take care of you to simplify the integration in a new community.After this, volunteers have lot of choice , for me , that’s was :
- Tree inventory : it’s the mapping of tree in the reserva betary
- Reverse maintenance : i help for the construction of the release center Celine
The Celine’s construction was really cool , see the evolution of the center after each task is rewarding.

The reserve is located next to lot of activities like boia cross, running, cave or waterfall , we can not be bored during free time.
Finally, IPBIO is my best experience and i will be a pleasure to return.

Great times

Although I could just volunteer for a short period of time, it was a great experience and I learned a lot. I wish to return on the future. The reserve is a great place to be and the forest is full of gorgeous caves and waterfalls to visit. It is really a place to reconnect with yourself and nature.