Turtle Nesting Monitoring in Galapagos
Volunteer in Ecuador Volunteer in Ecuador

Turtle Nesting Monitoring in Galapagos

Two weeks of turtle nest monitoring on Isabela

We had a really good time on Isabela. During the first week we suffered a dip in motivation, when we found out that there were only very few turtle nests on the beach. This of course is much more sad for the turtles than it was for us. But during the second week IOI arranged some other activities for us, so that we could help the National Park with cleaning the mangroves and sea bottom. These activities helped us to feel more useful. Overall, we had a very good time. We learned a lot, saw a lot of beautiful things and animals, had an interesting cultural experience and had a lot of fun.

• IOI Adventures responded to this review June 05, 2018 at 8:53 AM

Hi Wytse,
    we regret to hear about your dip in motivation. May is the last month of the season and nesting can be more sparse.
    I am glad to hear the team got you engaged with other projects that excited you. We are always flexible and try to make every participants' experience as fulfilling as possible!

The Adventure of a Lifetime

My Galapagos trip was amazing! I immediately felt welcome on the island, both by the staff who greeted us at the port and then by my host family and local community. I had the freedom to explore, learn, and make new friends, but also felt supported and prepared by IOI for my volunteer project and any trips we took. My host family was wonderful too - not only was the house lovely, clean, and safe, but I became very close to my host family, going on bike trips, sipping coconuts in their hammocks, and watching Disney movies in Spanish with their adorable seven-year-old daughter. Definitely recommend this program!

• IOI Adventures responded to this review February 19, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Thanks for your review, KLM! We truly believe the cultural experience you had with your family is an important part of a volunteer's time. Sounds like you had an immersive experience--just like we want for our volunteers. Come back anytime!

Service learning in the Galapagos

I am very excited about the sea turtle monitoring project because it is a wonderful way for people to help the national park with data collection and to increase awareness about sea turtle nesting behavior and life cycle. Both of the nighttime monitoring groups were lucky enough to see a sea turtle, but only my group was able to see one nesting. I loved being able to see the whole process and getting the opportunity to collect information about the turtle for the national park. Growing up in Florida I have always been fascinated by sea turtle and getting the chance to have this experience has just made my love that much deeper.