Volunteer in Construction and Renovation in Bali

Volunteer in Construction and Renovation in Bali

Best month of my life!

I Volunteered in Ubud, Bali in the Wayan House for 3 weeks in August and then explored Bali for a week solo. My project was construction and renovation.
I have to say it was the best month of my life! I met some amazing people that felt like family by the time I was set to leave. I didn't want to go! I also formed a great relationship with the staff who were all young and felt like friends. Our construction site was walking distance from the volunteer house and we worked from 9am - 1pm Monday - Friday. Your work can vary depending on the project for that month but we were mixing cement, carving sidewalks,building walls and painting a community center/temple. It was so cool seeing the progress as we go.
One awesome thing to keep in mind if your considering IVHQ is you have LOTS of free time to explore! Like i said, you get off at 1pm for construction and have weekends free! I got to expplore basically all of Bali withing that month with my new friends!
If you are considering going to BAli and you are over age 30 then you may want to re-think, unless you like haning out with a bunch of kids! haha I would say the age range was from 18 - 30 which is awesome but most volunteers were early twenties. TRANSPORTATION was the easiest part. Although it says on the IVHQ site that you can't rent mopeds and motorcycles, you CAN. It is absolutely the #1 way to get around in Bali and is the Cheapest. you can pay about a $1.50 USD A DAY for a moped depending on where you rent from. The traffic takes a little getting used to but it is not hard. Almost every volunteer had a moped so you can just follow someone experienced and you'll be fine! NOTE: if you do not want to rent one then IVHQ provides a TAXI service.
You were provided 3 meals a day and it was mostly Poached eggs, rice, vegetables and fruit. I was a little disappointed they didn't have that much meat but the food was still good. The housing was moderate. it's all that you need, they keep every room very clean and you each have a room full of about 6 bunk beds. Only about have the room was full while i was there though. You have a nice living room with a ping pong tables and some cushions on the floor to sit on. (it's not as uncomfortable as it sounds trust me) The bathrooms are decent as well. plenty of stalls and nice western toilets. The hot water for the shower can be hit or miss but I figured that was a given being in Bali. NO A/C in the place but the temperature stays moderate and it's not bad at all. You guys won't regret this trip trust me! BOOK NOW!
Thanks Guys,
Matt Dahlberg
I will be posting pictures from my adventures here.....
Instagram _Matt_Dahlberg

• International Volunteer HQ responded to this review November 13, 2017 at 12:52 PM

Hi Matthew, Thanks so much for sharing. We are stoked to hear that your expereince in Bali was the best month of your life! It sounds like you certainly made the most of your time volunteering, exploring Bali, and getting to know the other volunteers and local team. Thanks for your recommendation and for being an IVHQer!
    Brigitte – IVHQ Bali Program Manager

Just do it!

Dare to live the experience you've always wanted and JUST DO IT!

I did wait so long to decided to go and believe me, now I just can't understand why?! At the main beginning I was afraid to go alone, by myself, without knowing anyone there; I started to think about what the project consists, about safety, accommodations, etc etc... I search between a thousand associations, companies and I had more doubts than certains. But was when I found HVHQ and I try to apply for this program, that I realize that you just need to go with the right organization. It was all thing so organized and transparent that I just decided was the moment to go!

Now, after three full weeks of an intense experience, where I had friends for life in all parts of the world, where I met fantastic local people and learn with the amazing stuff in UBUD, I just want to return back there! Was really a dream and you will forget you're volunteering to help change lifes, because it's changing yours.

As you, I did read all this reviews and posts and I had high expectations because of that.
In the moment I arrived in our accommodation in UBUD I couldn't believed, I felt immeadiatly like home. Someone was playing some music and they were all outside of the bedrooms and give me an huge hug of welcome. There were some "old" volunteers and I arrived with more 3 "new" and the match was perfect.

The first week is an introduction in the Indonesian culture and is the perfect moment to make friends and start to know more about this amazing culture. But the best part was when I started the construction program: you really see you're doing something concrete. The next day you will appreciate all the hard work you did and have the straight to start a new one with your team and in the meantime you will have a blast, you will get fun- and those are the moments you will never forget!

I just did it! And I will do it again!

Check my instagram to see some pics of this aventure
meli.instants