Incredible Volunteering in South Africa: Costs from USD 250

Incredible Volunteering in South Africa: Costs from USD 250

Incredible experience

I continuously smiled, laughed, played, taught, sang, and took many selfies with the kids. This program had exceeded my expectations. From the moment I had arrived to Cape Town, I had felt welcomed and felt like this trip would be a life changing experience. I volunteered in the childcare program for 2 weeks, and the teaching program for 1 week in the township of Capricorn. At both schools I had felt very welcomed by the staff, and was able to interact, connect and help with the kids by the first day of volunteering. The local staff for IVHQ were very helpful and kind, and made sure each volunteer had a great experience. Within such a short time I had felt like I had connected with everyone so well, and had fallen in love with the culture of South Africa. I will absolutely never forget this experience as I completely stepped out of my comfort zone, had opened my eyes to a new culture, and had confirmed that I want to become an elementary school teacher.

Childcare project-South Africa

Prior to making the decision to volunteer with IVHQ, I did my research and read many reviews that were positive. Now with firsthand experience, I can attest to the organization’s tremendous ability to effectively provide volunteer abroad opportunities for anyone. I volunteered in South Africa for three weeks on the Childcare Project. Before, during, and after, IVHQ program managers have kept an open line of communication; ensuring smooth transitions between the numerous aspects of volunteering internationally. IVHQ made international volunteer accessible and trouble-free. Moreover, teaching, comforting and encouraging children who have little to nothing, yet wear a smile each day, was the best experience of my life thus far. My weeks spent volunteering in a township of South Africa weren’t meant to change the world. Instead, I intended on leaving a lasting impact on each child I came across. IVHQ helped me to do just that.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review July 03, 2018 at 9:08 PM

Hi Britania. Thanks so much for your review! We're so glad to hear that you found our service trouble-free and that you had the best experience in South Africa. Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and we hope to have you back soon on another IVHQ program. ^Claire - IVHQ South Africa Program Manager

Maturing experience

I found my overall experience to be a maturing experience for me, since I have never volunteered the way I did with IVHQ. In the childcare program, working with the kids completely opened my eyes and exposed my mind to the extremely harsh living conditions these children grow up in. Despite the difficult start in life, these kids are extremely loving and affectionate, always saying "teacher! teacher! watch me do this" or "pick me up!" Besides the program placement, the volunteer housing placement was very cozy and comfortable. I had trouble figuring out the stove top which was frustrating, but the location is a 10 minute walk from the beach and 15 minute walk from the town center. The other volunteers in my house (and in the program) were from all over the world and were kind and friendly. Similarly, the administration of the program was so thankful for the volunteers' time and show their appreciation quite often. In the afternoons and on weekends volunteers had plenty of free time to do and see all the beautiful sights of South Africa. I saw so many sights I would never be able to see at home, or anywhere else on the planet.

• International Volunteer HQ [IVHQ] responded to this review February 20, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Thanks for your review Tori! We are so happy yo had the opportunity to combine your love fro travelling and volunteering while on the program. Sounds like you had an amazing few weeks and I could not agree more, the children are great and the smiles on their faces everyday are infectious. ^Claire - IVHQ South Africa Program Manager