Au Pair in Spain - Short Term
InterExchange participants InterExchange participants

Au Pair in Spain - Short Term

An au pair adventure

I spent three months living in Madrid, Spain working as an Au Pair for three lovely children. The overall experience was absolutely fantastic. Like any aspect of life, there were ups and downs but nothing life-changing is ever easy. It took a little bit of time to adjust to new family-dynamics, a new city, a new culture and a new language. It pushed me to step further outside my comfort zone than I've ever had to and changed me for the better. I ended up making life-long friendships with wonderful people and developing a relationship with Spain itself. I worked Monday through Friday from around five to nine pm. I was responsible for picking the kids up from school almost every day and then working to improving their English skills through conversation and activities. We did an array of things from playing football, listening to music, cooking, baking, playing cards, playing WII, working on school projects, doing arts and crafts and just talking. I had Saturdays and Sundays off and traveled almost every weekend. I used my days before work to explore the city, read, draw, find new cafes and hang out with friends. I traveled all around Spain and to Portugal and The Netherlands. My host-parents were very kind, patient, flexible and understanding. They helped with the transition and I asked them for help all the time. I really did start to feel like a member of the family and saying goodbye was not easy. I will most definitely miss the kids and the laid-back Spanish way of life has a way of pulling you in and not letting you go.

• InterExchange responded to this review December 22, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Sounds like you rose to meet the challenges of adjusting to a new culture, and ultimately thrived in this environment. We're glad to hear it and appreciate the review! Thanks Emma. ~James (InterExchange)

Au pair in Spain

My experience as an Au Pair was incredible! I got along great with my host family. I was very comfortable from the very beginning and learned so much about Spanish culture. I even picked up the language and was able to practice it with my host family and new friends I made. I met so many people from different countries and they have become great friends for life. My time in A Coruña, Spain was so special to me and it’s a place where I’d like to go back to visit or possibly move. I still talk to my host family every couple days and have been invited back for birthdays. I learned so much about myself and the word by getting to experience another country. I would recommend any abroad program!

• InterExchange responded to this review October 25, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Sounds like an ideal experience! Learning about Spain, including the language, and learning more about yourself - that's what we hope for! Glad you're staying in touch with your hosts. Thanks for the review! ~James

Wonderful Experience

I had the time of my life spending a summer in Spain! I feel head over heels for the two boys I looked after and the family was always welcoming. I made amazing friends and improved my Spanish greatly. 10/10 would do again!

• InterExchange responded to this review May 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Sounds perfect! I'm glad you would recommend the InterExchange experience and, who knows?, maybe you'll return for a visit one of these days! Thanks for the great review. ~James (InterExchange)

The Time of My Life

This was the best experience of my life. I have always wanted to travel to Spain and InterExchange provided me with the opportunity to do so. I made new friends and became apart of a new family. I was able to make an impact on the children that I worked with, improve my Spanish and tour other parts of Europe. I am still in contact with my host family, so that one day I will be able to go back and visit. I will never forget the summer that I lived in Madrid.

• InterExchange responded to this review May 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Thank you Monique. We hope you continue to reflect happily on your time with your hosts in Madrid, and that you find time to be in touch with them still! We're grateful for our small part in helping you achieve your dream of travel to Spain!