IFSA-Butler University of Melbourne
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

IFSA-Butler University of Melbourne

University of Melbourne

I studied abroad at Uni Melbourne last semester through IFSA-Butler. The experience was amazing and having IFSA take care of all the logistics made my transition into the culture, the school, and the other side of the world so much easier. I loved the programs they planned throughout the year, the location they set up for us in the city was SPECTACULAR (we lived in a Unilodge in the heart of Melbourne) and the overall support I felt from the organization was incredibly comforting.

My only complaint was, since I had IFSA take care of all the housing and so forth, all of us Study Abroad students lived together, meaning that I didn't feel as culturally immersed as I originally hoped. I know that it also was due to the cultural differences of Australia and the Australian school system though (many people just commute to Uni from outside of the city, or live at home while going to Uni, so you end up being bunched with International students when you go to Uni in Australia).

Best and wWorst of times

Going abroad was hands down the best experience of my life but also one of the most difficult. While I could rave on and on about my experience with the people I met and the activities I got to participate it in, there were also huge moments in my time there that created a lot of difficulties for me.
On the "best experience" side of things, I absolutely loved the college I stayed at (International House) and the people that I got to meet there. Staying in a college helped me to immerse myself in the life of a student there and interact with local students. The college itself also had tons of great activities that really kept me busy and having a good time. Outside of the college experience, the IFSA on site support and the activities abroad were really fun and only served to enhance our experience.
However, I was not as enthused by the support from the U.S. side of the program. Perhaps it was because they had just changed over, but I had a lot of difficulty getting any information from the advisor pre-departure. That may have been due to the fact that the advisor for the program changed for that time period, but it still made our lives incredibly difficult. Additionally, I had massive issues with insurance after spraining my ankle and found myself out of $550 for the whole 5 months I was abroad.
In all, I had a good time, I just feel like I could've gone without those difficulties or had a little more help than I did with that.