IFSA-Butler Queens University, Belfast
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

IFSA-Butler Queens University, Belfast

Couldn't ask for a better study abroad experience

Going to college, I absolutely knew I wanted to study abroad; specifically, I wanted to study abroad in the United Kingdom or Ireland. After searching a plethora of study abroad programs, one, in particular, stood out to me and that was the IFSA-Butler program at Queen's University Belfast in Northern Ireland. I can easily say that I am so glad I chose this program. What made this program great for me was the small yet close group of peers I had who were also a part of the study abroad program with IFSA there. The IFSA staff made us feel so welcome as soon as we landed in Northern Ireland, and having a small group allowed all of us to bond very quickly and become close friends with ease. Having this friend group before venturing into the local university life was nice since we had a means of being together during a time where we didn't really know anyone else very well. Overall, the social aspect of study abroad through IFSA was phenomenal, and I feel that this aspect is one of the most important for studying in a foreign country for a semester.
Focusing on a more academic standpoint, Northern Ireland was ideal for me as they offered courses from numerous departments. I was able to take a political science class, religion class, and statistics course during my semester abroad which all counted towards Major credit and core requirement credit at my home university. The courses were interesting and very worthwhile for my degree and overall education. All of my lecturers and TAs were so helpful with informing me of the academic logistics that went along with classes, assignments in the classes, and exams. I never felt like I was ill-prepared for anything academically related.
Overall, my study abroad experience was phenomenal and I highly recommend this program to anyone who may wish to study a variety of disciplines and wish to gain a unique experience with a small yet close group of peers.

Studying Abroad at Queen's was amazing and immersive!

When I was going to study abroad I was looking for a place in Ireland where there were going to be less American students and it would be a more immersive and "Irish" studying experience. IFSA-Butler provided this for me at Queen's with enough help with an orientation, excursions, and staff in-country, but my own space to live and explore on my own like a regular student attending uni in Ireland. Queen's has top-notch academics, hundreds of amazing clubs (I joined the rowing team while I was there), and a gorgeous campus! Belfast was perfect for me because it was a city with many amenities while not being huge and touristy. It was even better than I had hoped it would be :)