IFSA-Butler Kings College, London
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

IFSA-Butler Kings College, London

Interactive, immersive, academic

IFSA-Butler really went above and beyond when it comes to preparing their students for cultural immersion. Our orientation was set in a wonderful hotel, they provided us with great meals (and worked especially well with my extensive list of food allergies) throughout, and I left after a few days feeling prepared to take on London––and the Tube. I loved that they offered a little two-credit course for culture and community to help take students around town and just learn about each other and the city. They were so efficient about providing us with all of the information we needed, and things like insurance and student visas! I really didn't have to worry about those finicky details. I would definitely recommend studying abroad in the fall semester, when everyone is first finding new friends, than spring semester, though. I definitely struggled to immerse myself with the other British students, as most of them had already found their social cliques for the year, and wound up hanging out with other study abroad students most of the time. Regardless, living in downtown London was wonderful and IFSA really prepared me for the academics, the culture shock, and everything else I might need.

Make the most of It

King's College London has a great location. You will hear this repeatedly, because it is the most obvious compliment to credit the university with. Commute, alone, from flats to classrooms, is surreal. Rain or shine, the Big Ben looming over the River Thames is a sight to behold.
I thought my classes were fascinating. If you go to them, you are more likely to enjoy the study abroad experience as a whole. Participating in seminars is a choice, but the more you engage, the more it's going to feel like you're actually part of the King's community.
At times, it can all be overwhelming. Trying to find where your courses are going to taught, calling maintenance to clean a flooded bathroom, and forgetting to top off your Oyster card is part of figuring out life in London, life at King's.
King's College London, overall, provided me with an interesting education, made up of a wide variety of classes, and placed me in the heart of the "world's capital". The university hosts many events, schedules talks from well credited scholars, and is the home of several clubs and societies. If you want to make the most it, King's will take care of the rest.