IFSA-Butler at the University of Otago
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

IFSA-Butler at the University of Otago

Breaking barriers

My experience was phenomenal. I loved the location of Dunedin, the people, the activities, the school clubs, and much more. I was able to not only make friends within my IFSA Butler group, but branch out and become great friends with people from New Zealand also. I joined the Ski Club, learned how to ski, and became very close with many of them. They helped break down my walls. I used to get very nervous when talking to people I did not know and was very reserved when I did talk, but that changed when I was abroad. I had to step out of my comfort zone and I am glad they made me do so. I also tried activities I had never done before. I faced my fears, because they seemed to have no fears. I loved IFSA Butler, the location, and the people of New Zealand.

A pre-med athlete's time abroad

If you are thinking about NZ for study abroad and need to find a program, look no further. As a pre-med collegiate athlete studying abroad is typically not an option. However going through IFSA butler met both the academic and the athletic requirements I needed to be able to study abroad. They worked with my school in getting grades and class information to transfer into my major and you receive a Butler University transcript for the classes you take so Medical Schools count them as classes taken in the US. They also helped make my athletic training requirements a breeze. By working with them ahead of time I was placed in an apartment close to the pool so I could train with the local swim team everyday without having to figure out commuting via bus or car. Even past the academic and athletics these guys made pre-departure/orientation/ and the return process as painless as possible. Staff in Dunedin was and the South Island were fun and always willing to help with any issues we encountered. Also they do 2-3 all inclusive and fun excursions that are included in the program fees which a provide planning free adventure.