IFSA-Butler at the University of Otago
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

IFSA-Butler at the University of Otago

10.0 Overall Rating
10.0 Overall Rating
Star Verified

Location

New Zealand: Dunedin

Program Summary

The Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University, offers semester and yearlong study abroad programs at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. New Zealand's oldest university is the perfect for students interested in both great academics and outdoor adventure. The university, widely considered as the second southernmost university in the world, has an international office, student health services, a theater, concert hall, gymnasium, and audiovisual center. Students reside with New Zealanders and the other international students in a house or flat within walking distance of the university

Utter perfection

Words nor photographs can fully describe the breathtaking beauty of New Zealand. Choosing the University of Otago as my host university, and choosing IFSA-Butler as my study abroad program, were some of the best decisions of my life. The IFSA staff are so warm and welcoming from the moment you step off the plane, bleary-eyed and jet-lagged. They ensure that you're well-prepared for your adventures ahead, and plan fun excursions throughout the semester that you can take part it (you're missing out if you don't). The university itself is stunning, and the range of courses and variety of university clubs was so exciting for a small liberal arts college kid. I highly encourage volunteering in the community, through the university's volunteer office or clubs (like the conservation volunteer club!). It's so rewarding to be able to give back to the community that truly starts to feel like home. I can't condense my experience into a short paragraph, but suffice to say, New Zealand will always have my heart.

The experience of a lifetime

Through the IFSA-Butler program I was able to access a life in New Zealand I had no idea would change me so much. I learned some incredible life skills such as adaptability, self confidence, and planning skills that I will use forever. Though I was worried about the support of IFSA-Butler before I departed, once I got to New Zealand I was fully supported and given everything I needed to be successful. At Otago they have incredible international housing and resources. Then, IFSA-Butler took it to the next level by providing incredible travel opportunities where we learned about the culture, food, and got to experience the natural wonders of New Zealand. I felt like IFSA-Butler was just the right amount of involved in my experience, and I feel very fortunate to have gone with them.

Go explore, it's well worth your time

Trying to break out of my shell is what really made the experience unique, and I'm still in contact with some of the people I met six months later - the experiences you can have when you try something totally new are really amazing.

Study abroad New Zealand

This was far and away the best experience of my life. It was so much fun to go someplace totally new and make friends that I still talk to from home. The experience was pretty eye-opening, too; we always think of people from other countries as being totally different but frankly they're really not. Most of the things we did could have been done without going abroad, but those one or two activities that you actually had to be there for made all the difference in the world.

Christina merchant study abroad 2017

Studying abroad in New Zealand is an experience that nothing will be able to live up to. Part of this is due to IFSA Butler. They not only made the process seamless, but they put together amazing dinners and trips for our entire group once we arrived. The New Zealand landscapes are stunning, but the people are what made my experience. They broke me out of my shell and pushed me to do activities I would never have imagined I would do. I studied abroad a year ago, and I am still in contact with my friends from there on a weekly basis. If you are thinking about studying abroad, don't question it! Just go and from my experience Otago is the school to go to.

Thankful

Nothing is ever 100% perfect, but my study abroad experience at the University of Otago was pretty darn close. I lived in international housing with a Kiwi host (a native New Zealander) in addition to three other international students. We were all in the same boat and eager to explore! Although I did my fair share of studying on the weekdays, my weekends were filled with adventure. IFSA had prepaid, planned outings for the group throughout the semester. While these can easily be on the boring side, IFSA planned AMAZING outings! In addition to a ghost tour and a biking trip, we also got to spend an entire weekend cruising in Doubtful Sound on a luxury boat. I left the US with a backpack and a suitcase, but returned with some of the most incredible friendships and memories I only could've dreamed of. All in all, I'm beyond thankful I took the leap of faith and spent my semester in Dunedin, NZ.

Breaking barriers

My experience was phenomenal. I loved the location of Dunedin, the people, the activities, the school clubs, and much more. I was able to not only make friends within my IFSA Butler group, but branch out and become great friends with people from New Zealand also. I joined the Ski Club, learned how to ski, and became very close with many of them. They helped break down my walls. I used to get very nervous when talking to people I did not know and was very reserved when I did talk, but that changed when I was abroad. I had to step out of my comfort zone and I am glad they made me do so. I also tried activities I had never done before. I faced my fears, because they seemed to have no fears. I loved IFSA Butler, the location, and the people of New Zealand.

A pre-med athlete's time abroad

If you are thinking about NZ for study abroad and need to find a program, look no further. As a pre-med collegiate athlete studying abroad is typically not an option. However going through IFSA butler met both the academic and the athletic requirements I needed to be able to study abroad. They worked with my school in getting grades and class information to transfer into my major and you receive a Butler University transcript for the classes you take so Medical Schools count them as classes taken in the US. They also helped make my athletic training requirements a breeze. By working with them ahead of time I was placed in an apartment close to the pool so I could train with the local swim team everyday without having to figure out commuting via bus or car. Even past the academic and athletics these guys made pre-departure/orientation/ and the return process as painless as possible. Staff in Dunedin was and the South Island were fun and always willing to help with any issues we encountered. Also they do 2-3 all inclusive and fun excursions that are included in the program fees which a provide planning free adventure.

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.