Argentine Universities Program
Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University Header Image

Argentine Universities Program

Mandatory Spanish class not good for fluent speakers

I love Buenos Aires. I plan to move back after I graduate, and IFSA-Butler's program let me fall in love with it. It was an incredible experience in every way, but I want to talk about the biggest disappointment with the program I speak Spanish almost fluently and am a Spanish major. I was told before going that the mandatory Spanish class would be split up by level in the language. When I arrived I found out that they were split by theme, i.e. Academic Writing or Theater. This meant that there was great variety in the class' language level and that the professor had to teach to multiple levels. It was an absolute waste of time, as the professors were working with the same curriculum as other courses, and had to spend time helping students with lower levels of Spanish while the students with higher levels were left unengaged. Perhaps the biggest reason why I felt let down by IFSA in this regard is that I could have used those credits to take another course at a local university and would have gotten a much more immersive experience than I had. If you are a native/heritage Spanish speaker or have an advanced level in the language, consider that this program may not be able to provide for you as much as you would hope.

Freedom to choose your own path

This program is perfect for anyone with decent Spanish skills. You can literally choose to do whatever you want to do. I am a nerd so I got to take lots of classes where I was the only foreign student. The staff in Buenos Aires is amazing and they will treat you like family from the moment that you step off of the plane. The admin in the US leaves much to be desired but the staff abroad more than makes up for it. I made lifelong friends in the program and in the city so I have people to go and visit and live with. Probably the best decision that I've ever made.

Amazing experience in Argentina

My experience in Argentina was nothing short of incredible! The IFSA program helped make everything so so easy (helping register for classes, finding a place to live) while still giving me all the freedom I want as a student. If you wanted help, IFSA was always there for you.. but if you wanted to just be on your own and explore, you could chose that option also. I had the most amazing time exploring the wonderful city of Buenos Aires and befriending locals. The IFSA program is a must for anyone thinking about going abroad - I obviously did it, and it was the best thing ever! I wanna go back.

Wouldn't trade it for the world

Studying with IFSA was the absolute highlight of my college experience. Going into Study Abroad is very scary in the first place, and the IFSA staff was so welcoming and encouraging, they helped make the experience the best it could be. Buenos Aires was an amazing place to study and I loved my host mother, the friends I made, my location, and everything about the city. My classes took a little warming up to, since I took a class with all Argentines, but it was an extremely valuable learning experience for me. I highly commend IFSA for the programs they provide and the experiences each of their students have.

Theatre & human rights in Bs.As

I'm a double major in Theatre & Social Justice in the US, and I wanted a program that would allow me to improve my spanish while studying what I love, and this program did exactly that. I was in the Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) Concentration through IFSA and took a clowning course and a History and Theory of Argentine Theatre course at the Universidad del Salvador, which I was able to count towards my major in the US. Because I was part of the DDHH concentration, I also was able to intern with Bachillerato Popular Trans "Mocha Celis," which is a sort of high school/GED program specifically founded to help transgender youth and adults finish their secondary school education. This internship allowed me to see what the trans, queer, and activist communities were like in Argentina in a way I would never have otherwise gotten. Because there was only one English speaker on staff there, this, in tandem with my clowning course, improved my spanish immensely. At the internship, when I wasn't assisting the English classes and ensuring the students had full metro cards so they could come to class each day, I was doing jobs that enabled me to talk about culture, art, language, politics, and many other things with the other people involved with the school. These conversations I look on fondly, especially because the Argentines I spoke with were so willing to slow down their Spanish, explain slang to me, talk to me about the implications of particular phrases, and also to ask me to explain what certain English concepts were, like Drag Kings and Republicanism. Meanwhile, the clowning course I was in forced me to think rapidly on my feet, as it was a small class and I was the only norteamericanx in the bunch. By the time I left, my spanish was near fluency--and I entered the program only being able to comprehend about a third of everything that my instructors were saying. If you want a language intensive program that guides you only as much as is needed for you to find your sea legs, do IFSA.

Big city immersion

I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina for 5 months and was enamored with my experience. This was my second time doing an immersion exchange (first time was a 5-month program at a French high school), so I thought this would be a piece of cake. I was wrong. However, it was an exciting challenge and not more than I could handle. I would really recommend this program to someone who has had some international experience before. The best part about my program was the staff, who helped me through some emergency events but never held our hands so we could go out and experience things authentically. Buenos Aires itself has a lot of international students, so there are tons of free cultural activities to meet other people and explore the giant city. On the other hand, there is still a strong local culture and Spanish-speaking expectation that I believe it was much easier to learn Spanish than if I had been in Spain. This is not a country to choose if your goal is to travel to a different city every weekend, as transportation usually requires a plane and they aren't dirt cheap like in Europe. This is a program if you want to make great friends from different US universities and have opportunities to intern, volunteer, join a local dance or art studio, and immerse yourself in the rich and complicated history of Argentina. Academics can be as easy or demanding as you choose, and the host family was a critical component to my experience. Vamos BA!

IFSA Buenos Aires - hundreds of class options and amazing staff

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires will forever be my most memorable college experience. However, with a transition so huge, but yet so sudden, IFSA staff was very supportive all the way from the first arrival at the airport, through the days of orientation and up to the course selection process. With the hundreds of course offerings for students from 6 different universities, kids are often overwhelmed, but the staff did an amazing job making this difficult task less arduous. There was ample time to roam the city of Buenos Aires and to explore the rest of South America on the weekends. In addition, I think I got paired with the best host family ever imaginable in a cozy Almagro apartment with an amazing family.

Fall semester 2016 in Buenos Aires

One of the best aspects about IFSA was the flexibility they gave us with choosing classes. I felt like we were given plenty of options in a variety of different universities. This allowed us to customize our schedules, giving us plenty of time in the day to explore Buenos Aires before or after class. The workload was not as intense as I expected- most of the "work" ended being translating into castellano. It was nice to learn about the contemporary society and culture though, although much of that ended up being through our own individual experiences outside the classroom. I found all the IFSA staff to be super approachable and always willing to help, whether it be with our classes or adjusting to the local culture. Orientation was tedious, but I imagine most of them are, and there was plenty of useful information. Afterwards, you could really utilize IFSA and their resources as much as you needed them, whether through their staff or the activities they offered once in a while.

Spending a semester as a Porteña

I spent a semester studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina with IFSA-Butler. I loved Argentina and my time there. IFSA specifically was a nice program because it allowed you to directly enroll in local universities so it provided you with the opportunity to integrate deeper with the local culture. While you still could take classes with international classes, most people on the program were in classes with only argentines. The staff in Buenos Aires were also amazing. They were helpful, caring people who I still think about fondly. The only thing I personally didn't like was the homestay. I didn't really like the people I lived with and thought it was awkward that they didn't have to provide us with lunch. This led to a lot of awkward 'hellos' when I would go to the kitchen while they ate a big meal together without me. I honestly think most people didn't have this experience and it was just my particular family. I would recommend IFSA Butler but I would also recommend to be extremely proactive with changing families. Luckily, IFSA is extremely accommodating with this.