IAU - The Marchutz School of Fine Arts
Institute for American Universities (IAU) Header Image Institute for American Universities (IAU) Header Image

IAU - The Marchutz School of Fine Arts

Jump in

As with any experience, The Marchutz School is what you make of it. My advice is to jump in with both feet. I thought about being a part time art student in the afternoon classes, but after meeting John and Alan, the alumni fellows, Pauline, and a few of the students I took a chance on being a full time student. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I went from thinking I would only be there in the afternoons, to camping out in the studio with my classmates. Meeting new people and sharing unbelievable experiences through our daily work, afternoon excursions into the landscape, and trips abroad. I spent more time there than I did with my host in Aix.

If you are looking for a place that will plunge you into a transformative experience, look no further. You will not simply learn how to use a pencil and a paint brush, you will learn how to see, how to listen, how to share your ideas, and how to create, all at a higher level.

Whether you are there for a term, a year, or signing up for the MFA program all you need to do is jump in. It will bring out the best in you.

Best school year yet!

The Marchutz School at IAU in Aix-en-Provence, France is a special place. It is beautiful and meaningful and I will continue to come back.

This program is beyond expectations

This program is beyond any expectations you may have. It is beyond words. I recommend it highly to any artist no matter what your area of interest. It is a school of vision that develops your eye and you as an artist. It has been the foundation of my artistic life thus far. Ten stars.

An eye-opening experience

Studying abroad in Aix-en-Provence was an eye-opening experience that I would gladly do again in a heartbeat.

Painting in the South of France

IAU is a fantastic organization to work with if you're thinking about studying abroad. I spent the past spring semester in Aix-en-Provence, France at the Marchutz School of Fine Arts. I absolutely loved every moment of the hands on learning as I painted Mount Sainte Victoire, Cezanne's beloved mountain. I also lived with a host mom, who helped me practice my french while she took me in as a member of her family. I made so many memories that I will cherish forever.

Becoming A Student Again Was An Unforgettable Experience!

The highlights for me were when our instructors retraced Cezanne and Van Gogh's footsteps by showing us the locations they spent time and the exact spots they painted.

I Choose the Program because it was recommended by a painting instructor in the U.S.A. the summer before.

I stayed with 2 different hosts during my program... The first one wasn't a good fit, mainly because I am not a smoker. My second host that IAU matched me up with was very lovely. She helped me navigate through French customs, made excellent Provencale food, and gave me many recommendations to enjoy the area!

Becoming a student again at the Marchutz School of Fine Arts was an unforgettable experience!

The Marchutz School setting is the perfect, tranquil location to delve into painting and acquire a better understanding of the Master painters. It doesn't matter if one is a novice or very experienced, the outstanding instructors will guide you to a new level of achievement with their interdisciplinary approach.

Wonderful

I have a wonderful host – retired opera singer who sings for me, feeds me, and shares wonderful stories. My room looks over the old town of Aix – I’d highly recommend staying with a French host.

Marchutz has been total immersion, learning to see, learning to analyze, a whole approach that goes way beyond and way deeper than any art experience I’ve had. I feel absolutely privileged! I’m here on scholarship.

Dreamlike immersion

A dreamlike immersion into Southern French culture, art exploration, and ravender. Six weeks in Aix-en-Provence is incomparable to six weeks spent anywhere else.

A dream come true

My time at Marchutz has been entirely incredible – it’s hard to believe it’s real life at times. From painting in the gorgeous landscapes of Provence, to field studies where Cezanne and Van Gogh have painted, my experience here has been so enriching. I would highly recommend this program to anyone – it is everything you’d ever want in a study abroad opportunity.

Painting in France

Marchutz in a dream. Every day we spend hours painting out in the French countryside. John and Alan are some of the best professors I’ve ever had. My host family was warm and incredibly generous. Aix is a small city, but I was often busy nonetheless. Marchutz is not for those who don’t want to work – it’s hard! But so incredibly meaningful.

France, Art, Culture – It’s all here!

The Marchutz School of Fine Arts is a superb study abroad experience. The faculty are outstanding. The French-cultural experience is one-of-a-kind. I am a college professor who recommends this program to all my students.

Great!...