China Internship Program in Beijing and Shanghai
ImmerQi Header Image ImmerQi Header Image

China Internship Program in Beijing and Shanghai

Shanghai, you stole my heart!

It was the best experience of my life! I stayed in Shanghai only for two months but I feel like I have been there for ages.
I did an internship in a branding company and professionally speaking, I think I have gained experiences that I would not have been able to gain anywhere else.
My boss was not only my tutor but he was also my “teacher” as well, in fact I have learned a lot from him. Moreover, during my internship I have had good relationships with my lovely colleagues: they basically welcomed me into “China world” and above all they let me taste all the local Chinese food! (I’ve become a fan of Chinese food in fact I missed it a lot!)
In addition, even if I stayed there only for two months, I have improved my language skills, both English and Chinese. (especially my mandarin understanding has extremely improved). In fact, I'm feeling a lot better about my language skills right now.
I would like to thank the Immerqi Staff for helping me in this amazing experience, and above all I would like to say thank you to Rice (Immerqi Staff) for having supported me in this unforgettable internship.
Thank you China, thank you Shanghai. See you soon.
谢谢中国, 谢谢上海,再见。

An experience in Shanghai

My experience in Shanghai was very challenging, from a professional and personal point of view. It gave me the possibility to learn a lot and to open my mind to a new and completely different country.

special months in Shanghai

it is a very usefull and fun experience. Shanghai is a very cool and vibrant city. I like it! I really like my work place, it's very friendly and the collegues are very nice. In addition I live in a very beautiful area where there are many clubs, bars, and I usually meet other friends. The apartment in which I live is nice even if sometimes is a little bit dirty. My room mates are very fun we sometimes go out together. In addition during this experience I had the opportunity to take part in some events with my host company. The last one was in a very cool and rich hotel here in Shanghai. Shanghai is a very nice city even if there are many differences in culture compared to Italy.

Social media intern at the world of Chinese magazine

ImmerQi gave me a great placement that suited my major--Digital Media Management and Programming. Being a social media intern at a magazine, I really got a chance to see the work I could be doing with my degree after graduating from university. It was a great experience that not only immersed me in the culture of China, but specifically the work culture. It was interesting to see how work culture differed in China, compared to the United States and it definitely is useful experience for the future--if I decide to work abroad. Also, the ImmerQi team was always helpful and friendly.

The real China in Beijing

As soon as I made my decision to come to China, I had become increasingly anxious about the 6 months I would spend there. My colleagues asked me questions like where I would stay, what I would do, how would I be able to communicate with my limited knowledge of Mandarin. Unable to answer all those questions, I started to worry a bit myself. I decided it would be best to play it by the ear and see where it would take me.

Luckily, I didn't have to worry for too long. The program provider I decided to make this journey with, Immerqi, realized my anxiousness and guided me step by step till my arrival to Beijing. From applying for my visa to answering general questions about life aspects in China, I felt ready as I crossed through immigrations and met my intern manager, Asiya, who then accompanied me to my accommodation.

By the time I had to go to work the next week, I felt prepared after the presentations and different cultural/social tips given by Immerqi. Throughout my time here, I was always assisted by Immerqi when I came across situations beyond my Mandarin skills, starting from operating the washing machine properly (all the labels were in Chinese characters) to yelling at Uber drivers when one of my friends forget his phone in the car and the driver decided to keep it for himself (we got the phone back in 3 days!!!).

Professionally, I believe I have gained experiences that I would not have been able to gain anywhere else. I worked for the Chamber of Commerce for the Private Sector and during my first three months, my manager promoted me to project manager for two of our international projects. Through my work here, I have had the opportunities to meet mayors of multiple cities in China (Nanjing, Panjin, Shenyang, etc.), Senators and Ministers from different European countries and also entrepreneurs in different fields. My network has grown multiple folds in the last few months and I believe they would be invaluable connections later in life.

One incident in particular that has to be mentioned would be the time our apartment complex was having problems with water connectivity. We were given notice that there would be no hot water for an entire month. I bought this development to Immerqi's attention and they booked me a hotel room very close to my apartment so that I could shower there. The priority on my well-being that Immerqi had displayed had truly made me happy and I had the comfort of knowing that they had my back in China.

Overall, at the end of the six months, I am happy I made this decision to come to China and my life has forever changed due to experiences I have gained and the friends I have made. My opinion of China has changed completely in these few months and I'm certain that I will be back here for more.

Something inspirational

Being in China has been an incredible experience. I've had to opportunity to explore a new city and culture and meet new people. Living half-way around the world from home can be daunting at first, and a bit of a culture shock- especially when you don't speak the language of the new country. However, my experience working for an international company and having ImmerQi as my internship agency allowed me to immerse myself in Chinese culture and take full advantage of this new and exciting experience without feeling overwhelmed. From the support and assistance, the events they coordinate, and the genuinely fun and engaging people, ImmerQi truly made this time special. In regards to work, I gained invaluable insight into China's fast-paced and sometimes stressful business/tech world, while working hands-on with numerous languages/frameworks. I got to interact with people from all over the world on a daily basis, which brought with it exposure to new customs and ways of thinking. The 6-months I've spent in China has inspired me to take risks, put myself out there, and travel the world. This experience is one I will always be grateful for, I've made friends I will never forget, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Interning in China

When I first decided to intern in China, I was nervous and had no idea that I'd have such a culture-rich, amazing experience. I did not speak Chinese so I thought the language barrier would prevent me from having a good trip abroad. However, ImmerQi provided me with Mandarin lessons and an amazing internship site, so all my worries soon disappeared. I interned at a hospital and was able to learn many transferable skills for the future. Between traveling and exploring historical sites on the weekend and interning during the week, my six weeks in China flew by! I would highly recommend this opportunity to anyone considering it. It was such a memorable experience!

Beijing internship

The internship I did in Beijing was great! I got the opportunity to work with an NGO and it really opened my eyes to the "behind the scene" ongoings of non-profits, I felt like I learned a lot from my internship abroad in Beijing! The ImmerQi team were also always there to help me when I was facing issues with my apartment and having trouble getting to the airport!

The other side

This program was absolutely one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My placement was amazing I worked with an Iranian-Chinese company.... Helped them launch a store and manage English speaking marketing. I met so many friends and loved the culture!

Two internships: A developed start-up & a new start-up

The time that I've spent in China has been honestly amazing and truly life changing. Although cliché, my approach to life professionally and personally has changed since coming to China. The things that I have experienced and saw, as well as doing, has changed my understanding of China and the people that live behind the closed red doors permanently. I now understand why Chinese businesses are growing quickly, and how most online-based companies are doing it. It involves personal and professional ethics that differs vastly from our American counterparts, albeit questionable by American and western standards, it is one of the main reasons for the accelerated global presence.

I have been exposed to an international team during my first internship that primarily focuses on social media marketing. We had one person from each major country (such as Russia, France, Italy, Singapore, Korea, America, and a lot more), and it was interesting to see how stark the differences were between everyone. Although it has been difficult, I had to learn how to communicate best with some of my co-workers because there were constant communication and expectation clashes. One of my most memorable experiences was my attempt to learn how to communicate better any Russian or French co-worker that I might have in the future. I learned the value of maintenance work for brands as well as branding/promotion, but I learned that this was not what I wanted to do in my future. Being able to learn what I want to do, and what I don’t like was my most important lesson from my first internship.

My second internship has been the most enriching experiences that I had during my time in China. I was able to check off a lot of my requirements and expectations of any internship experiences in China at my second company. I was able to use Mandarin on a regular basis and I was expected to carry out some tasks in the language as well, my mandarin understanding has improved tremendously. I learned so much about how to start a start-up as well as how to get funding from Chinese investors, and how some might experience their encounters with them. My boss was not only my mentor but he was also my friend as well, and has taught me so much about life and how to relate life to starting your own company. I have learned a lot from him, and about the current start-up environment.

I would love to come back and continue to learn more about how I can have a better future in this confusing country that still has its moments of absolute clarity.

Chengdu was amazing

Living and working in Chengdu was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had the pleasure of doing. The working and social environment is something I really warmed to very quickly and as a result I will definitely be going back to work there in the future.
I was fortunate to have very pleasant work colleagues & a comfortable working environment. That and the day to day living in Chengdu was very comfortable. There's always so much to do and see and even in 3 months I was only able to see a fraction of what I wanted because there is so much. The culture there was very interesting and this meant I never had a dull day.
I was also fortunate enough to make a lot of good friends out there who I made a lot of good memories with, both in Chengdu and travelling outside it.

I would recommend this experience to everyone.

Experience of a lifetime

With a scorching cup of coffee in one hand, I boarded a plane that would take me to an experience of a lifetime. My time in Chengdu went above and beyond all expectations that I had had. From day one, I was accepted into a group of people that would become family. A group of people that would guide me around the Sichuan province and show me all the beautiful things it has to offer.

Having worked all over the world, working alongside my colleagues in Chengdu was probably the most refreshing and valuable aspect of my internship. I have come to realize that the working culture is one that is unique to Chengdu alone. As opposed to looking purely at efficiency, I was taught that being in peace with oneself and to enjoy the moment came before efficiency. Along with laying a strong foundation with many big figures in the Chinese economy, the professional aspect of my Chengdu internship was definitely a fulfilling one.

My biggest regret is staying for the short time that I did. One month is simply not long enough to capture the essence and brilliance of Chengdu and all of its surroundings. Had I known before of all the wonderful people like Cassie Shu who would welcome me to Chengdu with open arms, a longer stay would have been a requisite. I will unquestionably head back one day. Back home now with a cup of tea in my hand, I can definitely reflect on how Chengdu has changed me as an individual and how it will continue to shape me throughout my life.

Programming Internship

It was full of challenges and adventures. My work was rigorous and enlightening. It taught me what I needed to work on and what I was good at. I also got the chance to greatly improve my language skills and general proficiency. I was never bored and the food was excellent. I would recommend this opportunity to anyone who is seeking to explore places beyond what they would call home.

An unforgettable memory

It is so amazing how time flies by so fast and how much I've learnt and grown up in such a short time. I believe this is just a beginning of my journey and I'm always prepared to learn whatever that's coming ahead. I'm so thankful and lucky enough for this internship experience.

Only time can tell

People say many things about time. For me, time is something I wish I had more of in China. But at first this wasn't the case. When I first got to China I was overwhelmed by the culture shock, hoping that I had less time. But the longer I stayed and the more comfortable I became while in China, the more I wished time would slow down. After the initial shock, my eyes were opened - widely opened - to the vast new world I had come to appreciate. The uncertainties I was first met with were quickly dispelled through the help of not only Immerqi and its staff, but my fellow interns whom I have become the closest of friends with in such a short period of time. Now, with the end very near, I wish I had more time here in China with the new friends I have made so that I can continue discovering more about this different world. Do I recommend this experience to others? Yes. Will I return to China? Well, for this, only time can tell.

China, a wonderfull experience

The China experience was amazing. Before coming here I had only a general picture of China as a great economic power with a rich culture. This internship was a great way to experience the Chinese live and culture. The first weeks I was a little in chock, the culture and the language is so different. ImmerQi has assisted me very well from the start.They provided me a comfortable location in the center of beijing which was really nice. They brougth me into contact with other interns staying in Beijing, which is great because you first don't know anyone. This group was very important for me, we have experienced night live together and had many other activities. We always took a couple of drinks at moghitoman, which was really cheap and after that we went clubing, to LIV, Vplus, Spark, which was great.

During the week I worked as a Intern for Chamber of commerce of the Private Sector.(CICCPS). This turned out to be a great fit, were I learned allot about the Chinese Way of doing business. I experienced that the Chinese economy is still developing very quickly and that the Chinese are very eager to create opportunities and are very adaptive to change. They want to set up businesses very quickly. Planning for long term is a bit difficult for them, they will hop from one opportunity to the other. For China in general the economy is developing very quickly with a important roll for the government, which is takes essential part in the chinese life, other than what I'm used to in Europe. But also China has allot of challenges to overcome. The smog is a real problem, and western technologies are needed to enhance the healthcare system, further They face an ageing population, and some problems to feed the growing populations.

During my stay at CICCPS I have had interesting meetings with clients, visited conferences and had a great three days business trip to one of China's economic zones. Thus this internship was the perfect fit for me.

From living in China I learned that the
Chinese people are a bit reserved, so you have to try first to get in contact, but in my experience most of them are very friendly. The chinese food was really nice and very cheap. The smog is the only real bad thing, but with a mask you will be fine.

Overall it was a great experience. Thank you immerQi and the other interns, you made this an experience I'll never forget.

Business development assistance

I had the great opportunity to gain an invaluable experience and skills through working independently and as part of a team in a multicultural business setting in Beijing. It was very a wonderful experience in order to give a more consolidate professional expertice and cultural knowledge. Beside the work itself, thanks to Immerqi team i was involved in many educational activities and professional events

Real estate intern

Unique opportunity to grow your knowledge about this field in China, one of the fastest growing economy in the world.
Not only in a professional way but it will improve your skill even in the social and in day to day life, to live better with yourself and others

Finance intern at Chinese Chamber of Commerce

It was really a good experience, good job, good life, good networking. It was a really immersion in the chinese life and I have tried the local culture and I have met a lot of interesting people. The job was interesting I have had the opportunity to enjoy a lot of business meeting and conference. The office was situated in the financial district and I have had also the opportunity to travel across China. I have been to Shanghay and to the Great Wall. The accomodation was nice and well situated.

My investment banking internship in Beijing

I absolutely loved my experience here in Beijing! I worked in a investment/merchant bank and I had the possibility to "touch with my hands" the chinese business World. I made reports used by my boss in official negotiations, I attended meetings with senior investment bankers, I became familiar with financial models and I understood what really means to create a joint venture.
Beijing is a pretty cool city (in my opinion, it's better than Shanghai!): it offers every kind of service and, if you want, you can find easily western shops and restaurant. Life there is so good and so cheap, everything is affordable.
The service offered by ImmerQi was simply perfect: very good accomodation, excellent help to impact a new culture and a very good organization about my internship. ImmerQi staff gave us the possibility to attend many events, from networking events (through one of ImmerQi chinese contacts, I was invited to travel to Tianjin to visit a local car factory together with Swiss and German offials) to cultural trips (like Great Wall and Summer Palace) and sportive days (I really enjoyed "rockclimbing day"!). ImmerQi people were always nice with me and a lot of time we went out together for a dinner or simply a drink after work: they were (and are) more friends than managers!
In the end, I suggest to everyone to join this program and these wonderful people! It will be an experiece you could not forget!

Legal Intern in Chengdu

Overall experience was amazing! Cassie (my program supervisor in Chengdu) went above and beyond to make sure that my time here was memorable and well-spent. The internship itself was great aside from the fact that the hours per week didn't match with the workload (47.5 hours per week at the office vs. approximately 20-25 hours worth of actual work). Towards the end of the internship, I arranged to work less hours to have more free time to experience Chengdu, and it was absolutely fantastic! I wish I had done that from the beginning. That is my only (minor) quibble with the entire program. Every other aspect far exceeded my expectations! I can't speak for the programs in Beijing or Shanghai, but Cassie makes Chengdu the experience of a lifetime. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to come to Chengdu, or China in general.

Priceless!

I started off my internship with summarizing articles and writing questionnaires. As time went by I received more and more responsibility and I started writing my own articles from interviews I made together with a Chinese colleague.

Being interested in the clothing industry I focused on writing reports that related to this topic. So far I've had interviews with the owner of one of the few vintage stores located in Beijing, the director of the official website of Beijing Fashion Week -09 as well as the chief designer of a major Chinese label.

When I wasn't busy reporting in Beijing I was sent out of town to take part in trips. Travelling as the only foreigner in a group of 20 Chinese reporters from different media gave me an exclusive insight on China through the eyes of a reporter, an experience which in today's society I consider being priceless.

Through the internship I visited places like Shanghai, Hangzhou, Wenzhou and Suzhou to mention a few, and practiced my skills as a reporter when interviewing important people at press conferences and events taking place throughout the journey.

Highly recommended for a new cultural experience

After my intensive Mandarin course, ImmerQi found me an internship that matched my preferences. They placed me in a small company, which I prefer because I can learn more and get the real Chinese experience. I have great workmates that help me every day in my job.

I had the opportunity to take company trips, to get some insight on what the company is about. I got to visit the suppliers in the Shanghai region, as well as the major clients and the commercial teams from other regions. My intention is to return to Spain and use my new knowledge and experience to create a new company, or even work for an import company. Maybe I can extend my life in China because it is a really amazing place with a different point of view. It is an exciting place to be, especially with the Olympics just around the corner and the country constantly changing without losing their cultural roots.

I would like to thank the ImmerQi staff for giving me personal attention for all my necessities. They helped me find accommodation, start my life in Beijing, organize activities, getting me involved in the country. I recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a new cultural experience.

An excellent choice!

I had always set a goal to obtain international experience before I finished my undergraduate degree. I had one semester left and I wanted to utilise my summer holiday break. Having local experience in my field was not enough in this day and time especially with the world's economic crisis. In order to stand out from the rest, I believed international experience was the key. (Why international experience? Well why not? Firstly, I wanted to prove to myself that I could survive in another country. An internship in China was an excellent choice for this kind of experience as it was totally different to what I was used to in Australia.

Different culture, different lifestyle and most importantly, a different experience. A three month experience would definitely test my adaptability and versatility. Skills and attributes that all future employers look for.

After my language training I was placed in the technical team at China Radio International in their English department for two months. (I was given a variety of technical tasks to complete throughout my two-month stint at CRI. These included things such as implementing an email server, attending to IT issues around the office and to developing an online broadcast platform for the department. Each task had a time frame, which I had to adhere to.

To complete these tasks, it required me to apply previous skills I had acquired at University but also I had to learn a lot of new things as well. For example I was familiar with the first task where I had to build an open source email server, but the second task required me to develop a Microsoft Silverlight application. I had never experience any Microsoft programming so this required some intensive research and experimenting. In the end I produced a prototype with full documentation for what my supervisor could further develop and implement. (Apart from the technical tasks I was given, I also had the opportunity to be involved in some media tasks. As I came from an English speaking country I was sometimes asked if I could read English articles that some of the local editors had written. This was an extra precaution just to make sure their articles made sense. Most of the time their articles were excellent and never needed any correcting, but I was pleased that they involved me in their writing process.

Another non-technical task was when they needed someone to do English voice-overs. I was put in a recording booth to do voice overs for an ad or story they were creating. And thirdly I was asked to be in an advertisement video, which I also assisted with the video editing, which was a lot of fun.

An interesting and rewarding experience

Working in China has been an interesting and rewarding experience. I worked at China's largest international radio network, which broadcasts in over forty different languages worldwide. I was positioned in the online English department. My four week internship was divided into the news team and the webcast team. In the news team my role was to translate and polish articles from Chinese to English as well as writing my own articles to be published on the website. Whilst I have some basic Chinese language foundation, I found these tasks challenging because the Chinese news writing style is different from English in structure and content. The most fulfilling part of the internship is being able to attend media events and practice interviewing techniques. For the webcast team, I participated as a journalist in the opening ceremony for the Olympic Family Hotel, a media promotion for a Cairo Opera at the National Centre of Performing Arts and a media conference for the launch of Olympic commemorative bank notes. I was responsible for writing the news feature, making audio recordings and editing photographs which were published on the website. I was also fortunate enough to film video recordings of news and feature stories to accompany written articles. Without any formal camera presenting training, the filming process proved to be an eye-opening experience. I was astonished by the amount of time and effort that was put in to produce a ten minute segment. The filming practice played a crucial part in developing and improving my confidence levels and speaking skills. During my internship, I have established good connections with my colleagues and they are always eager to learn more about the west. With the support of the company and ImmerQi I was able to integrate smoothly into the Chinese working life, sometimes working overtime on weekends to meet deadlines as well as participating in their annual swimming competition. I have thoroughly enjoyed the internship and through it, I have gained a better understanding of my future career direction.