Most Affordable Program in Argentina: $450 - 2 Weeks
Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA Header Image Iko Poran Volunteer Abroad - IKPVA Header Image

Most Affordable Program in Argentina: $450 - 2 Weeks

Community development

My fiancé and I had an incredible experience volunteering in Argentina and now in Brazil. Our project in Buenos Aires was in a very special community of which we were welcomed with open arms. The family we worked alongside we now consider our own family!! Here in Rio doing sports development has been extremely rewarding and we are learning so much about this beautiful culture and even learning capoeira with the locals!! Felipe and his family have been SO accommodating & we are having a blast living with him and his beautiful fam! HIGHLY recommend all IKP programs :)!!

Highly recommendable

For 2 weeks from the end of January to the beginning of February 2016 I volunteered at Fundación Cor in San Isidro, Buenos Aires, where I, along with the friend I travelled with, spent half a day from 9.00-14.00 caring for and entertaining the children of the home. There was a little bit of a language barrier for myself (I have studied Spanish to A Level in England) and more so for my friend who does not speak the language, however all the staff/carers at the home were very accommodating and friendly. We spent time playing cards and jenga with the kids, as well as playing hop-scotch on the patio outside the home and taking the kids to play on the climbing frames or football at the local parks.

Accommodation wise we were provided a place to stay by Andrea, volunteer coordinator for Iko Poran, in her own family home as she believed that, mainly due to our ages (18 and 19), that she would take better care of us there which she more than certainly did. Andrea and her family are as friendly a family as you can meet and all speak Spanish and English.

Fundación Cor is located just outside the city of Buenos Aires and is easily accessible by bus or train, as are local places of interest such as Temaiken (zoo) and Tigre. Living just outside the city allows a perfect mix of staying in a peaceful neighbourhood but also being able to pay afternoon and weekend visits to the city.

As an 18 year old exploring South America for the first time, it was the perfect way to start the trip and I would highly recommend it.