IES Internships - New York Full-Time Summer Internship
IES Internships participant inside a stadium IES Internships participant inside a stadium

IES Internships - New York Full-Time Summer Internship

First summer in the city

My internship this summer was something that I will not forget. First, being finance major, I was thinking I would be placed with a bank or a more corporate setting, however that was not the case. I was put with a start- up company where I worked solely with the two co-founders. At my time there I was given a lot of task, such as managing there social media, creating new promotions, giving my ideas for the new version the mobile application , attending investor meetings and understand the financials of the business. I learned also a lot about the importance of networking and entrepreneurship. The relationship I had with my bosses caused me to be excited to go into work everyday, connecting with them not just on a professional, but on a personal level. This internship really open doors for me regarding professional contacts and work experience in general.
Regarding New York City, it was a lot bigger than I previously thought. Every weekend I found something new to do and to see, which made staying there for eight weeks exciting. One of my favorite things that my roommate and I did was go to the ice cream museum in Chelsea, that was only open for the month of August. It was very interactive and probably something that I will never do again. I also really learned how to live in a big city and what city life is all about. I was very overwhelmed when I first got to the city, but then I adjusted quickly. the lifestyle is very fast pace with little personal space. At the end of the eight weeks it was nice to go home, where it was not as crowded however I do miss the excitement of the city. I grew emotionally and professionally with this internship, learning to live on my own while also gaining professional experience in the financial capital of the world. I am very glad I did this internship as I now know more about myself and my likes and dislikes regarding work and the type of lifestyle I am attracted to. This program overall for me was not just about the internship, but the full experience of living on my own, in preparation for after graduation.