IES Abroad Sydney Direct Enrollment - Semester/Year Program
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Sydney Direct Enrollment - Semester/Year Program

Living life to the fullest

Everyone I have ever met who studied abroad told me, "it was the best decision of my life." Literally, everyone. Because so many people say this, it kind of goes over your head. Well let me tell you, studying abroad was the best decision of my life. No matter where you go, or what you do, you will take part in a life changing experience. There is no other time in your life when you an opportunity like this will present itself. 10/10.

Best 5 Months of My Life

Studying abroad is incredibly rewarding, specifically if done in Sydney, Australia. Deciding to study abroad was the best decision I have ever made. I truly believe it is the best thing you can do for yourself. I learned more about myself than I ever could have thought, and really grew as a person in general. I gained additional knowledge of the world and became more confident in myself. Being independent for so long and so far away from home enabled me to fully immerse myself in the Sydney culture. The experiences I had are unforgettable.

"Summer" in Sydney

My "Summer" in Sydney was nothing short of perfect. I made life long friendships and got to see a so much of a huge country in the 6 short weeks I spent there. Although it was technically winter the weather was beautiful and the apartment I stayed in was impeccable. The field trips we took to the Sydney Harbour Pillars , Hyde Park Barracks, and the Outback were all so memorable and taught me so much about the cultural. The classes were knowledgable and interesting and the apartment was just short walk from class. My only complaint would be that class on Fridays limited traveling a little bit.

Sydney semester

Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia was hands down the greatest 5 months of my life. I went to Sydney not knowing a single person in all of Australia and left with countless lifelong friends. The IES Abroad Program played a massive role in my fantastic experience in Australia. From the moment I arrived until my final day in Australia, the IES staff were there for me for whatever I needed. Not only did they offer great advice on activities to do in and around the city and organize group trips to fun places, but they also went out of their way to make me feel happy and comfortable. It was obvious that they cared deeply about the students in the program and that was probably the reason that so many of us became very close to the staff. IES Abroad made the transition to school in a foreign country so easy that it immediately felt like home. I think about my experience in Sydney everyday and highly recommend it to anybody even slightly interested.

Studying in Sydney

I had an unreal time studying at The University of New South Wales. Not only was the campus in the perfect location, but I was also able to get to know my way around the entire city. I loved getting to know new people and being able to live in a culture different from the one I am used to. IES provided me with extra opportunities to to cool activities throughout the city. I loved my experience and think about it every day.

IES Sydney Summer

IES provided me with the experience of a lifetime! My university did not offer an abroad program in Australia that worked with my major and required classes. However, IES gave me tons of options and most importantly for me, Sydney was one of them. The application process was a decent amount of work, but the IES coordinators were a huge help for me when it came to getting all the paperwork done. For this particular program I lived with eight other college students from around the States. We came in as strangers and left as friends. I formed some of my best relationships while abroad, and was so thankful to be sharing the learning, social and foreign experience with likeminded, adventurous individuals! We lived in the outskirts of the city in a townhouse/apartment duplex which was only a block away from a main street that had a store, doctors office, pharmacy and tons of restaurants. Figuring out how to manage time and money was a great part of studying abroad because between traveling on the weekends and sightseeing we also had classes and homework to keep up with. The summer program only has two required courses: IR/IB 393 Leading Across Cultures: Principles and Practice and CU/HS 255 - Australian Politics, Society, and Identity: 1788 - Present. The Professors for both courses were great! They made being in class fun and also helped us better understand cultural differences and apply these experiences in and out of the classroom. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to expand their horizons and get a taste of how much our world has to offer us.

A dream became reality

Wow. I never thought I would find myself living and studying in Sydney, Australia for five months. I am so blessed that I had this opportunity and am so thankful and grateful to the IES Abroad Sydney staff, Matt and Michelle, for welcoming me and making me feel at home. The events and trips they hosted made my transition into a new and exciting land so much better and it was fun experiencing new places with a group of keen students. My eyes were opened to the beauty of venturing outside of my comfort zone and being open to new worlds, cultures, and activities. Australia now feels like a second home and I can't wait to visit hopefully soon! IES Abroad Sydney was one of the best decision I've ever made and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in having an experience of a lifetime.

A new outlook on Life

Studying abroad really did change my life. As I left the country for the first time, I had an amazing time living in a new culture. I was challenged to live on my own and make new friends once again after thinking I had figured everything there was out at my home University. I now enjoy taking pictures and traveling much more than I had prior to my experience and I look forward to making mini vacations and traveling the United States more.

A wonderful semester

Spending my spring semester at University of Sydney with IES was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Going through IES provided me with amazing housing, support, trips, and much more that I wouldn’t have had without IES (my friends from other programs were so jealous of what we had!). Our program directors were extremely kind, welcoming, and helpful with everything from getting comfortable in Sydney to planning trips to medical help. With the program we got to snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef, explore the rainforest, hike, eat amazing food, learn to surf, and so much more. Having the support and comfort of IES made the transition to Sydney so easy, and I really felt at home. The classes I took at Uni were some of my favorite classes I’ve ever taken, and I had so much fun. I feel so lucky to have experienced all that I did, and I’ll always look back fondly at my adventures abroad with IES.

Aussie bound!

When I look back at my experience abroad, it seems almost like a dream. Thanks to the IES Abroad it really was a dream that came through. Never would I ever have thought that I would be able to study at a huge internationally known university, meet so many amazingly diverse people, or even get to see someone the greatest world wonders. This was by far the greatest program to experience this through. From the moment that I confirmed that I wanted to participate in the program to when I arrived at the airport to staying connected once arrived to even now after the fact, the IES family has helped me along the way. All of my questions were always answered. The trips that they had planned for us, from the Great Barrier Reef to canoeing and hiking, were better than I thought they were going to be. Sydney is a beautiful, thriving and welcoming city, but with IES I was able to go beyond that to see the country and experience Australian culture. Plus, I have friends from all over the world thanks to the Sydney Studying Abroad Program and IES. I can't wait to go back for more and I hope you get the opportunity to go through what I went through as well!

Life down under

Spring 2016 I was lucky enough to study abroad in Sydney Australia. I went through IES Abroad which was a really great experience. Having a group of students all from America was really nice because we were all experiencing this new culture together. We had planned events which allowed us to get to know each other and see beautiful parts of Sydney, Australia. These events ranged from "spring break" to the Great Barrier Reef, hiking the blue mountains, and a cultural experience with the Aboriginal people of Australia. Going through IES was great because they gave us housing in a village with other study abroad students as well as Australians going to Uni. I really enjoyed living there because I was able to meet many different both Americans and Australians and make lasting friendships. I believe that going to Australia was an amazing experience and having IES Abroad helped make the transition to a new country much easier. I would highly recommend everyone to study in Sydney, you will not regret it!

Best Semester EVER!

Spending Fall of 2015 in Sydney, Australia through IES was the best choice I could possibly make. I instantly fell in love with the place and the people. There was always something to do in Sydney and the location couldn't have been better to get a taste of city life and beach live. The IES program Director, Matt, is one of the kindest people I have ever met and I from what I saw going through IES was the best option with great trips and resources throughout the semester. I loved my time in Sydney and would highly recommend it to anybody ready for to experience something wonderfully new. I wish I could be back there right now!

Semester in Sydney

My semester in Sydney was far better than I could have ever imagined it would be. From the moment I got through customs in Australia the IES leaders were always there to provide a helping hand when needed. IES also organized numerous free lunches, a once in a lifetime trip to Cairns over mid semester break, and a surfing lesson which were all incredible experiences. Matt is one of the most genuinely kind person I have had a privilege to meet in my life so having him as our program director made the journey through my semester abroad even more amazing. The city is always busy with awesome events and concerts, the beaches are gorgeous, the people are friendly, and the education at University of Sydney was spectacular. Overall my semester in Sydney was by far the best four and a half months of my life and IES made it possible in an easy and affordable manner. With that being said, I highly recommend studying abroad in Sydney, Australia with IES Abroad!!

Unforgettable Experience in Sydney

I cannot say how happy I am to have gone abroad with IES to Sydney. My school doesn't have a program in Australia, my dream destination, so I was very much on my own to find a program that would work for me and that would give me the support and experience I was looking for. I found that in IES! We had a really helpful and fun orientation in Sydney at the beginning of the semester, a great one week trip planned to the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest, and many other smaller day trips provided for us. I don't think I would've done nearly as much without these plans. Sydney is an absolutely beautiful, incredible city and is a great place to study. I didn't find the academics nearly as challenging as my home institution, and one thing that was missing for me was a real immersion into Australian social life. Most of my friends were all Americans from my program, but this was also a great support to have and helped a lot when I was homesick! I learned so much from the time spent with my friends and alone. It was an amazing time! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to live in a gorgeous city with plenty to do and who loves the ocean, nature and adventure.

Amazing!

Studying abroad through IES at the University of Sydney was an incredible experience. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was in love with Australia. Switching up the environment in which you live and learn completely changes your worldview and provides you with opportunities that you never knew were out there. In addition, the relationships you create become strong enough to last a lifetime. I truly appreciate all the programs and events that IES planned/took us to because it was during these experiences that I was given the opportunity to explore the country in more depth and detail, while getting to know my peers in the program. IES makes it easy to adjust to a different culture, and is a useful resource when it comes to any questions you may have while away from home. I would recommend studying through IES to any prospective student!

Home Away From Home

Studying abroad in Sydney during Summer 2015 was everything I dreamed it would be and more.
From the moment I submitted my application, IES staff was by my side. They ensured I always knew what was going on and everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful. Upon arrival, we were all greeted by the Program Director and were made to feel very comfortable. IES made the transition to living in a new country so simple and from Day 1 we were all able to make the most out of our time there. The classes were interesting and well-taught - the professors were personable, the workload quite manageable, and the program even provided for us to take fields trips. Living in the city of Sydney allowed us to immerse ourselves in everything occurring around us, and I would not trade my experience for anything. I made wonderful, life-long friends and we experienced as much as we could of the city. Throughout the program, the program staff went out of their way to make us happy and comfortable, and we became quite close with them as well. Going abroad was the best decision I have ever made for myself and as crazy as it sounds, I feel homesick for Sydney every day! If you're considering going abroad, you cannot go wrong with IES. No matter where you would like to go, they will be there every step of the way.

A second home

I titled this a second home for a reason. Not only have I been missing Sydney since being home but I am physically home sick for it. Leaving to go abroad, I had the highest of high expectations and this trip still exceeded them. I never expected to be part of such an amazing opportunity in my life.

The Friends I made:
I didn't know anyone when I left for this trip but that didn't last long. The friends come so quickly; whether it's locals because you the interesting foreigner or because its other travels looking to get to know people just like you are. The friends you make on this trips quickly become your friends for life.

The things I saw:
The Sydney Opera House is the kind of site that's on everyones bucket list but imagine it becoming your backyard. If you're even slightly willing to do some exploring the miraculous things you'll encounter will blow you away. Sydney has awesome public transportation so almost everything is a bus ride or two away. The best of the best however are their sunsets. They are so unbelievable that sunsets will be forever ruin thereafter.

The experiences I had:
I went bungee jumping.... off a roof ......on a bike..... Australia's amazing. (This was on my own time of course.) They have ultimate thrills all over but that's just who I am. If you like the beach hop on the bus anytime you please. Australia only has over 10,000 to choose from. Coffee shops around every corner, hidden underground bars and endless boat cruises are waiting over there for you.

This trip was the best experience of my life by a lot. If you read this and decide to go, I'm sure you'll be dying to thank me after!

A Summer Down Under

Spending my summer in Sydney, Australia studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made. As cheesy as it sounds, I cannot explain in writing how much this trip, this summer meant to me. It was one of those experiences that I will never forget for so many reasons. The friends you make abroad are unlike any other friendships you will have. You are able to bond over the most incredible experience because only they understand the journey you are on. IES gave me the summer of a lifetime and I could not be more grateful for taking the opportunity I thought would never arise. I took two classes while in Sydney, but also had time to travel on the weekends as they created a schedule for us that allowed us to explore. The teachers were great, and I am so grateful for all I learned in my classes there. Our housing was in such a great location. Only a two minute walk to the bus and a two mile run to the beach which I took advantage of quite often. This program gave us a chance to fall in love with such a magnificent city while also giving us the freedom to explore other cities as well. The program was set up so well as the program directors worked hard to create a smooth transition for us. We took a trip to the Blue Mountains, sailed the harbour by night while enjoying a welcome dinner, travelled to the Outback where we slept under the stars and hiked in the red dirt, explored Melbourne and toured the Great Ocean Road, and flew to Cairns to witness the beauty that is the Great Barrier Reef. Not only did I learn more about Australian history and business leadership from my classes, but I learned how to plan and travel on my own as well as embrace people from a different culture and learn about who they are and why they are the way they are. I fell in love with Australia and the people there and I can only hope that one day I will return. Sydney was definitely my favorite city and one I hope to call home someday, even if it's just for a few years. I usually do not like living in cities, but Sydney made me feel at home. There was the busy city life filled with busses, trains, and ferries, but then there were parks to escape to, the harbour which you never tired of, and the dozens of beaches that never ceased to amaze you with their spectacular views. Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia through IES provided me with the best summer I could have hoped for!

The Amazing Down Under

My time in Sydney can't really be captured in words. I made friends for life, saw a part of the world that I never though I'd be able to see, learned so much, and experienced amazing things. Between visiting the Great Ocean Road, the streets of Melbourne, the Outback with my entire class and sleeping under the stars outside for 2 nights, seeing incredible animals that are indigenous to Australia and can't be seen anywhere else, to snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, as well as staying in Sydney and taking in all that amazing city has to offer, I had an amazing summer. In Sydney, my favorite place to be hands down was Circular Quay. This is where the Opera House and Harbor Bridge can be found on either side of the bay, facing each other. This place made me feel like I really was in Sydney and this was all happening, as well as it being in the Central Business District, which made it hustle and bustle most of the time.
In Melbourne, my favorite part was the Great Ocean Road trip, where we fed birds, saw koalas, saw the Twelve Apostles and more. This trip was one of my favorites of the entire trip itself.
In the Outback, we learned about Aboriginals, went to famous sites, slept and camped in the outback, saw wild camels, and saw Alice Springs. I also loved this trip because I got so close with all the kids on my program and we had so much fun together on a bus for 3 days.
Lastly, in Cairns my friends and I snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef. We left early on a boat and went a couple hours out to Green Island and snorkeled around this area. It was so amazing so be doing something that you never thought you'd have the opportunity to do or see.
This trip made me mature so much, learn to be more independent, and made me friends and memories I'll hold onto for life. I would absolutely recommend this trip to anyone who is interested in it.

An Unreal Reality

I've been extremely fortunate to have traveled quite a bit before coming to Australia, but this was probably the first place that I could've actually seen myself living there permanently. Australia is one of the most amazing places, and Sydney especially is probably the most unbelievable city. It is honestly unfair how gorgeous, how relaxed, how ridiculous the city is. IES does an amazing job of getting you accommodated, getting you comfortable, letting you explore, and organizing trips that you wouldn't have taken yourself. Like I probably would never have gone to the Outback if it hadn't been for the amazing experience that IES offered. It definitely was an unforgettable experience, and I cannot wait to go back.

6 Weeks of Happiness

Between the breathtaking oceanic views and delicious coffee, it was extremely hard for me to go home after six weeks of living in Sydney, Australia.

From the very beginning the IES Staff have been nothing but helpful and informative. My program coordinators in Sydney, were so kind and a pleasure to be around. They gave us so many suggestions on different restaurants, bars, and attractions to see around the city.

Being with other college students was so much fun because we all would go out and enjoy the city together. Our housing was in a neighborhood right outside of the city so we always had easy access to the CBD.

Even though I went to Sydney during their winter, I still went to the beach and even learned to surf!
I would go back to Sydney in a heartbeat to experience the sunsets, the cockatoos, and their killer transportation system all over again.

6 Weeks of

Best 5 months of my life

What an incredible five months! Australia and IES definitely exceeded my expectations. I don't think we could've had two program directors more helpful and friendly than Matt and Kristen. I am so glad I chose IES as my provider program when studying abroad. Not only did IES provide us support throughout the entire semester - whether it be figuring out the bus system or setting up a bank account or even the small things like finding the best hangout spots - but they also took us on various trips (most of them at no extra cost) throughout the semester to places that may have not been as accessible on our own, such the blue mountains. It was very comforting to know I had people to go to in the case of any issues or concerns. I definitely recommend IES for anyone looking to study abroad.

Another Semester Please?

My parents have always encouraged me to study abroad, which is why I chose to attend a university that had fantastic connections all over the world. Growing up, I was able to travel with family and it sparked a wanderlust that blossomed into the best decision I ever made - to spend 5 months on my own in Australia. Once I narrowed down my ideal study abroad location from anywhere to a few countries, I looked into every option that my university offered and spend plenty of time talking to my study abroad advisor. I ended up choosing IES because of their program at the University of Sydney, cost, and the housing arrangements. The staff both at the US center and at the one in Sydney were very easy to communicate with and helped me along every step of the way. The personal connection with the IES staff in Sydney was unique, comforting, and fun! We got to travel up to the Great Barrier Reef with them as well as go get coffee or ice cream and just talk about life. I never really needed it, but they were easily contactable if any emergency would have arose. Also, if we had any questions or concerns, they responded quickly to emails or texts. They were also really fun to talk with on our trip or at group dinners. While in the city, I felt extremely safe knowing that I could easily contact the program directors if an emergency came up. Sydney has everything to offer - great food, arts, sport, scenery, coffee, activities... Getting to explore this incredible city never got dull, and it really did become a second home to me. I cannot wait to go back there some day soon. I'm a theatre major, so I loved the artsy things like joining the Sydney University Dramatic Society (SUDS) and performing in one of their student-run plays or going to art galleries or professional productions. I lived in an off-campus apartment that was still run partially by the university so it was all students. Everyone was always keen to meet new people, there were plenty of events (with free food or activities), and I was fortunate enough to live in a flat with 5 people, but still had my own room where I could have some time alone to do work or sleep. Now that I'm home, all I can think about is all of the places I want to go back to or have added to my list of places to travel. I also made some of my best friends during those five months who I know I will stay in touch with for years to come.

Becoming a Time Traveler

"Oh my gosh! You're in the future!" That was the best comment I heard from friends and family back home. While studying in Australia, most of the time you are a day ahead of everyone in the States. This doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but everyone else can't seem to get over it. Other things that will be second nature after a semester in Sydney-- shortening all your words, the rules of rugby (and the difference between League and Union), and the deliciousness of meat pies and gelato. But before you have the chance to learn all this, you must first get accepted to a uni, apply for a visa, arrive, and then adjust. I had no fear though because IES Abroad Sydney was with me the whole way! From the beginning they sent step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a visa, select my classes, choose a housing option, and so much more. If I did happen to have a question there were previous participants I could contact and also an advisor. Everyone was quick to answer their emails. Once I arrived, the program had a transition orientation and then monthly outings planned. The program directors were very personable and always around to help. Sydney is a wonderful city and I couldn't imagine a better way to get to know it than through IES Abroad Sydney. And I can't wait to go back!