IES Abroad Nice DE – Université Nice Sophia Antipolis
IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Nice DE – Université Nice Sophia Antipolis

Support and sun on the French Riviera

IES Abroad allowed me to study what I wanted, where I wanted while providing much needed structure and support. From the application process to pre-departure to my time there the IES Staff was there to answer every question and assuage every concern that I had. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to study at the University of Nice because they are one of only three universities in France to offer dance studies, and the one with the most sun, I just needed IES to get me there but they did so much more.

My time in Nice will forever have an impact on my life, partly shaped by IES as a program. They provided us with an orientation and resources to help us acclimate to a new situation and make sure that I was thouroughly settled in my host family and host university. During the semester they provided field trips to incredible locations I would not otherwise have gotten to visit. Our weekend trip to Corsica was one of the highlights of my semester.

Anytime I had a question about where to find the best crepes or ice cream, the center staff had the answer. The classes I took through IES were great as well. My French class was shaped to fit us as students and accommodate our specific levels so that everyone could progress no matter where we started. When the university didn't supply the community or dance technique experience that I wanted I turned to the IES staff. They were immediately able to help me find a studio that fit my needs and open a line of communication with them.

I struggled to find my footing alone in a new culture but the IES staff was incredibly helpful and supportive whether that meant reassuring me that the experience I was having was perfectly normal or bringing me to get coffee when it was clear that what I really needed was a warm drink and a hug.

I would absolutely recommend IES Nice to anyone looking for a supportive environment full of sun, ice cream and French.

The nicest place in France

I honestly had the time of my life while studying abroad through this IES program. My directors were friendly, helpful, and always encouraging. We got to learn and experience the new culture together, as well, considering I was a part of the second semester EVER to happen with IES in Nice. Through all of the twists and turns of culture shock, my directors were there--I definitely will never be able to thank them enough for that.

As for Nice itself, the city is absolutely incredible. I was never out of things to do, see, or explore, and I honestly cannot wait to go back someday. From the food to the sea to the mountains to the convenience of having an airport just a short bus ride away, Nice is the perfect location for travel bugs.

A semester in Nice

The IES program in Nice is excellent overall. The only thing I wished it had were internship opportunities. I am a French major with an education background and I would have liked to get experience in a classroom abroad. I was disappointed by that lacking aspect, but I understand that this is still a new program and internship relations are things that may take time. Despite that, AMAZING administration, fantastic trips, and I love their other immersive opportunities, like the Direct Enrollment in the Université de Nice.