IES Abroad: Global Brilliance Begins Here

1. Home
  2. Providers
  3. IES Abroad
  4. IES Abroad: Global Brilliance Begins Here

IES Abroad offers 120+ programs in more than 35 locations worldwide for undergraduate students.

We're a little obsessed with study abroad, and not at all ashamed to admit it. We are a highly-charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students' lives. That's the reason we do what we do: to provide once-in-a-lifetime educational adventures.

Everything we do is about the IES Abroad student. Our goal is to provide personal support and guidance throughout your application and enrollment process. Whether it's housing or cultural events or field trips, our job is to make sure you have the most authentic study abroad experience possible.

Study with us for a summer, semester, or year. No matter the term, our world-class faculty and courses will engage you as you discover new ways of learning both inside and outside the classroom.

We believe everyone should have the opportunity to live and learn abroad--especially in a fun, safe, and superior academic and cultural environment. For that reason, we offer more than $3 million each year in scholarships and financial aid.

How will study abroad redefine you? We can't wait to find out.

Program Highlights

Add context and contrast to what you're learning as you take your studies out of the classroom with course-related excursions and cultural events.

Nearly 1,000 IES Abroad courses taught by qualified international faculty.

Credit transfer, based on programs already approved by students' home schools or through programs accredited by IES Abroad's School of Record, the University of Rochester.

More than $3 million in IES Abroad scholarships and financial aid every year.

Feel at home in IES Abroad-vetted housing, which may include homestays, residence halls with local university students, and/or apartments (often with a local resident assistant).

Program Reviews

Most Recent
×

7 weeks a piece - BA & Santiago

February 10, 2018

I spent 7 weeks in Buenos Aires, Argentina and 7 weeks in Santiago, Chile. Time moved fast and the challenge was to utilize every moment to create a lasting memory, a learning opportunity, or an eye opener. It was AMAZING, with some hard moments, home sickness, English withdrawals, and just plain weirdness (like getting stared at on the streets of BA). IES as an institute was very influential in providing us with the information to involve ourselves in each community, in each culture. For instance, they would send us emails about local events happening that week/month. We took fantastic trips to deserts, waterfalls, and neighboring mountains. Continually, having a small group to live these experiences with meant that I always had people to explore with, or I could go on my own. Through IES I got to reach beyond my comfort zones and because of that I’ve gotten to spend my time with many different wonderful people. While I did not really engage with locals other than my host families, cab drivers, and professors, I still felt like I understood each city and felt comfortable there by the end of my terms.

An amazing semester!

February 3, 2018

IES Abroad truly made my semester the best one of my life. IES was willing to help me every step of the way, from pre-departure to day to day while abroad, and even helped me readjust after I returned home. I couldn't have asked for a more attentive, inclusive, and helpful organization. They made the semester run so smoothly. Thanks, IES!

What a Time to be Alive

January 31, 2018

"What a time to be alive!" was my go-to expression for the fall semester in Amsterdam. My friends probably got slightly annoyed of my repetitive saying, but they always seemed to agree because this was often times the only way to describe our circumstances. IES Abroad Amsterdam was the best program I could've asked for. The staff was incredibly helpful and encouraging before, during, and after the program. They made my transition as smooth as it could be, were present during the highest of highs and lowest of lows, and honestly just took care of me. I felt safe. I felt engaged with the culture. I felt comfortable. I felt like I immediately had a new family. All of the basics like course registration, housing, residence permits, etc. were made easy so that I could have the fullest experience possible. I truly could not have asked for anything better.

IES Abroad: Sydney Summer

October 25, 2017

I have no idea where to begin. I was pleasantly surprised by how great the IES abroad staff were. They always responded to my emails fairly quickly and they provided me with the all the information and materials to ensure I was prepared before I got to my destination. I thought for sure I was going to have to figure out all of it on my own, but there was no such problem. I was fortunate enough to attend the six week study abroad program in Sydney, Australia. I consider it the best decision of my undergraduate career; my only regret is not staying for a whole semester if not a year! If I had time I would for sure choose another IES program and travel down under again.

Once I arrived in Sydney I received the best welcome from the IES staff and enjoyed every second of my orientation. I was lucky enough to have arrived during the start of the VIVID festival and for our Arrival Dinner we ate on a cruise in the middle of the Sydney Harbour looking at all the VIVID lights. Throughout the rest of my six weeks my group went on several excursions which included a couple of national parks and a four day field trip to Central Australia where we explored the Outback. Our trip to the Outback is one of my favorite memories from my trip. No words can describe what it was like to sleep under the crystal clear stars in our swags.

As for academics, I took two different classes: Leadership Across Cultures and Australian History/Politics. I definitely enjoyed the history class. I've never taken a class where I could literally walk around the city and know exactly the backstory behind a particular building or area. We even went on field trips during our class where we could see first hand the contents that we were learning about.

I think about my study abroad experience every day and it has given me a whole new perspective on my life and the world. I wish everyone could get the opportunity to travel, make lasting memories, and form lifetime friendships just like I did because I know it will be one of their best decisions of their life.

IES Abroad: London Health Practice & Policy Program

- United Kingdom

September 17, 2017

I truly cannot say enough wonderful things about my study abroad experience. The US-based IES staff in Chicago were extremely knowledgable and willing to help with pre-departure issues. The IES staff in London was equally as great. They were always available to help with cultural immersion, general problems or just to chat. I loved all of the IES sponsored/planned programming that I participated in throughout my semester. IES fostered an intellectual environment for learning inside and (almost more importantly) outside of the classroom. Also, our trip to Kingston Jamaica to end our semester was a highlight of my four months abroad. It was exceptionally well planned and the staff that "chaperoned" us were awesome. It was a great way to learn more about public health in a developing nation and experience a the culture of a different country. 10/10 would recommend IES Abroad!

Oh, You, Individualist American

- Ireland

September 14, 2017

While the title I would use to describe my abroad experience appears quite sarcastic, in fact, I labeled this concept time and time again, that it eventually became ingrain in my identity. Prior to abroad, I never distinguished a difference in my method of conceptualizing compared to others around me. When asked to describe myself, I would use phrases such as, I am silly, I am outgoing, I am athletic etc. It was not until I traveled abroad that I ever would have considered these phrases to be individualistic. However, when asked to describe myself in front of my Dutch Human Relations Class, I instantaneously was aware that my ideological method of description was quite different from my peers. Never before had I felt self-conscious about myself, or my traits. However, when standing in front of the class full of students from all over Europe, I suddenly questioned myself and my train of thought. While the IES program had tried to prepare me for culture clashes, I never before thought that I would experience it to this extreme, and this level of discomfort. Until this moment, I never truly understand what it meant to be the minority, and was never able to fully appreciate what it meant to be in a setting of comfort and ease. I have listened to stories of minority students describing the unease and hostility they often faced, but until now, I never truly understood what they meant by that. I believe this experience greatly expanded my understanding of how it felt to be the minority in the room and the underlying stigma that often goes unnoticed.

A New Point of View

September 14, 2017

My experience in Shanghai, China was unforgettable. I went into the program not knowing a word of Chinese and never having been to an Asian country. The IES staff there were extremely welcoming and understanding that culture shock going from west to east or vice versa can be overwhelming. However, without the enthusiasm and effort from the staff I never truly felt overwhelmed with anything but excitement. The courses I took were engaging and most of them helped me in some way understand Chinese culture. I learned just how similar people all around the world are, even if their cultures seem so different. I can't wait to go back!

Well organized program in an exciting city

September 12, 2017

I participated in the semester program in London, entitled Study London at the time. The education, living, and social aspects of the program were all incredibly well done. The staff at IES London has clearly put a lot of effort into their work and their passion for what they do comes through in the experience. London itself was a great location to study, where there was easy navigation to both the classrooms and internship that I participated in. There's no shortage of activities to participate in while studying in London, as you can choose from various IES arranged trips as well as the countless ongoings in the city. I decided to join local clubs in London that led to many lasting friendships existing far beyond my tenure in the UK. This program certainly has the potential to be a life changing experience, all it takes is a student willing to take full advantage of what's available to them.

Program Details

• Experience Required

Gallery

Related Programs

Sydney Direct Enrollment - Macquarie University

Take advantage of your chance to live and learn in one of the most beautiful and livable cities in the world—Sydney! Enjoy Sydney’s comfortable climate (warm summers and mild winters), world-renowned beaches (think: Bondi, Manly, and Coogee), and iconic spots around the city ...

IES Abroad Vienna - Music Semester/Year Program

For more than 60 years, IES has been building quality study abroad programs. IES offers a unique opportunity to music students to study in Vienna and explore the performance culture of Austria and Central ...

IES Abroad Shanghai Summer - Language Intensive

Students can study in Shanghai this summer and improve their language skills through this intensive program. Offering an ideal environment for acquiring and improving Chinese language skills, the IES Shanghai ...