Join the Paid Vietnam TEFL Internship
i-to-i TEFL participant i-to-i TEFL participant

Join the Paid Vietnam TEFL Internship

Incredible experience

What can I say to sum up my incredible experience in Vietnam. The people are always happy, they are helpful in more ways than I have seen in any other culture.
If you are about to embark on your own adventure or thinking about it you won't ever regret the opportunity just the missed ones.

• Host School or Placement

An experience like no other!

Travelling and teaching in Vietnam has been an experience like no other! It has been challenging yet truly fulfilling and life-changing at the same time. It is strange to think that I was so nervous before coming out here, but now having lived here for four months, I have adapted to a life so different to what I had before. Back home, I wouldn’t be waking up to teach a class of a hundred students that are bursting with energy and are so eager to learn, before taking a break and heading out for a quick coconut coffee with my fellow interns at an old French colonial style coffee shop. Back home, I wouldn’t go cycling around narrow streets, passing old and young faces that beam with joy when I greet them in their native tongue. And back home, I wouldn’t be eating a bowl of pho on the corner of a street as motorbikes whizz past during rush hour and feeling fully at ease with my surroundings! From the vibrant nightlife in Hanoi, to the beautifully crafted and colourful lanterns in Hoi An and the tranquil blue seas of Phu Quoc: life in Vietnam always offers something new, exciting and unique. Travelling and teaching in Vietnam has encouraged me to be more creative, to be more ambitious and confident in my decisions in and outside of the classroom. I am so glad that I took a leap and decided to teach and travel in Vietnam!

• Host School or Placement

I would absolutely recommend teaching in Vietnam

If you're looking to venture out of your comfort zone and travel, and, in doing so, developing personally as well as benefitting other people, then I would absolutely recommend teaching in Vietnam. I have to admit that I underestimated just how much of a test it would be to teach English in another country. Challenges came in ways that I anticipated, as well as in unexpected forms: from language barriers, to being overwhelmed by the abundance of traffic, to learning to adapt to strikingly different cultural norms. But do you know what? These differences were something that I, personally, thrived from. It was through these challenges that I learned so much about myself and my capabilities. And all of this was in addition to helping many children in Vietnam improve their English. Small victories presented themselves on a daily basis throughout the experience. For me, a frequently satisfying victory was that of experiencing mutual, communicative understanding and joy with, for example, the children in your class, the teaching assistants that you work with, or the lovely, welcoming Vietnamese people that live near you, without the use of words themselves, but mere gestures.

Awesome experience!

If you ever wondered what it feels like to walk onto a stage at Glastonbury to a roaring crowd, then look no further than having to walk into a school in Vietnam – it is absolutely insane! The children go crazy for you, and in no time you’ll be a pro at hi-5ing and fist bumping while running into the staff room for shelter. But even in here, you’ll often get food shoved in your face, and enough green tea to power a motorbike. The Vietnamese love to take care of you, and make sure you never go hungry!

Classroom sizes can range quite a lot, some with up to 40 children, but their energy is great, and the children so cute that you’ll soon have your favourite classes each week.

On weekends, as we are in a great location, we try to travel as much as we can. We’ve already been to the capital Hanoi, Cat Ba Island, Ha Long Bay, Ninh Binh, and we are planning a trip to Sa Pa very soon too. Everywhere you go is picturesque, and the people are so happy to see you.

One final thing - crossing the road will be the first thing you’ll do that’ll scare you senseless. My advice is to just keep walking, and the mopeds will go around you… simple!

• Host School or Placement

My time on the internship has flown by!

When I first arrived in Vietnam, it was hard to know what to expect, as I had never taught anyone before, let alone classes of over 50 children! The orientation week was a great opportunity to meet the other new interns and learn more about being a primary school English teacher in Vietnam! One of the most useful parts of the week was having the opportunity to observe experienced teachers, it really helped boost my confidence for my first lesson.
Since then my time on the internship has flown by! I teach grades 1, 2 and 3 in six different primary schools in Hanoi -it’s enjoyable and rewarding, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t exhausting! One of the best parts of the job is seeing the children so happy and excited when playing games in class, part of the challenge is being creative in adapting games to make them work in different classes and to keep them interesting! Also, getting greeted with ‘teacher, teacher, high five!’ everyday hasn’t got old yet!
As well as the teaching, coming to Vietnam on the internship means there are so many other interns that it is easy to make new friends and travelling buddies! In nearly 4 months, we have travelled around North Vietnam during the weekends, and went to Da Nang and Hoi An in Central Vietnam during our week-long Tet holiday in February. Some of the best weekends away have been to Mai Chau, Sa Pa, Ha Giang and Ninh Binh. There is lots to do in Hanoi, but I have really enjoyed the opportunities to escape from the busy city into the Vietnamese countryside!

• Host School or Placement

There is lots to do in Hanoi

An excellent introduction to working and living in Vietnam

i-to-i’s Vietnam internship is a great introduction to working and living in Hanoi. I’ve no complaints from sign-up to pairing with their in-country partner, ELC, and the included 120-hour TEFL course is bolstered with 20 hours of classroom training.

Vietnam also offers the best rates of pay and the cheapest living costs, so you make back the fee and leave the internship with a nice travel package.

I had every weekend free and used these to either explore Vietnam’s capital or travel the country; Hanoi is a great base.

Accommodation is basic but fine - and mostly importantly free including all bills. Electricity is the most expensive commodity here and there are no hidden fees. There is a bit of variation between the shared houses, some are better than others, but that's the same anywhere with any kind of student accommodation, and once you finish the internship, rent is super cheap in Hanoi.

BME is the English centre we worked for, teaching in public schools around Hanoi. They ferry you door to door by car taxi, a frustrating mode of transport in my opinion, and are at times unreliable, but they do try to make the experience a good one for you, something which is quite clear by the large community of teachers who either still work for BME (myself included) or still live in Hanoi. I bump into people all the time who started on this programme who are a great support network. BME pay on time every month and make sure that every teacher is working and living there legally: this means visas, work permits, foreigner residency, etc.

Life and work in Vietnam is not going to be the same as what you’ve experienced before. Communication lapses and miscommunication via language and cultural barriers are rife, but you will learn to adapt, teach, work and succeed in any and every environment.

What could be improved?

Training essentially. The August intake gets two weeks to settle in, train, etc. whereas the January intake has only one. The TEFL course (both online and classroom) itself has some interesting ideas to keep in mind, but a lot of it is not helpful when you start teaching in Vietnam. In Hanoi, your class can contain anything up to 60 little babies squeezed into bolted-to-the-floor desks - and you may rock up to a school where the power is out and has no sign of coming back on! BME do offer initial lesson plans and some amount of training, but be prepared to independently learn day by day.

I use a lot of songs in my younger grade lessons, it's a great, fun way to teach and learn that they can do from their seats. I would have found and introduction to this in the training very helpful indeed.

• Support Services

Valuable experience with appropriate support

My experience with i-to-i TEFL was fantastic, communication was good and explained everything I needed to know about the internship. I was offered a discount as I already held my 140 TEFL course, and had the chance to do another 20 classroom course during orientation which was good (although not specific to the teaching we would be doing in Hanoi). ELC who run the internship were very informative and supportive whenever I had any problems. BME the education company who we worked for in Hanoi were, majority of the time, quite unorganised, I do not know if this is a Vietnam thing or just for the company, but be prepared for things not to go to plan sometimes! The overall experience was amazing, the opportunity to see Vietnam and use my TEFL with the comfort of the support from the internship is definitely worth paying for.

TEFL in Hanoi

Overall I really enjoyed the programme because it gave me the opportunity to move abroad with a certain degree of hand holding. I had some issues with the package I purchased. I had already completed my TEFL studies which I was told was no issue and I would finish the 2 day class training once I reached Vietnam. However when I sent on my certificate I was informed that I-to-I did not work with this company and I would have to complete 120 hours of TEFL in less than a month. The companies in Vietnam can be difficult to work with and at times manipulative but the help with Visas and housing etc was useful. The programme is good if not a little pricey.

Teaching in Vietnam

I really enjoyed my time teaching English in Vietnam. I met some lifelong friends and loved changing the lives of young people. I loved that I was able to travel around the country during my time in Vietnam as well. It was a great experience and it changed my life.