Intern Sustainable Community Manager in Hawaii
Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community Header Image Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community Header Image

Intern Sustainable Community Manager in Hawaii

A unique opportunity that shouldn't be passed up!

Reasons to do this Internship:

1. The People: Everyday that you're at Hedonisa you are meeting, networking, learning, growing with an ever-evolving group of the most amazing people you will ever meet. Friendships grow faster than the jungle weeds and every day will bring new friends, new adventures, and new stories that you will never forget!

2. You get to live in Hawaii: This can not be overstated! Because you only work two days a week, this gives you 5 days, to surf, swim, hike, climb, cliff dive, snorkel or even just lounge in this amazing paradise surrounding you. The aloha spirit is a beautiful thing to experience and embrace while your here.

3. You get to learn about managing a successful business at a very real level. As an intern, you learn and experience living and running an eco-hostel successfully. If your interested in running your own business, or working in the hospitality industry this is the internship for you. I've had the opportunity to pick up a lot of ideas, strategies, and policies that I will definitely be taking with me into future career opportunities.

4. It's very safe: As a single solo female traveler, there can be times when your traveling and you don't feel 100% safe or secure. That is not the case at Hedonisa. They have great policies and programs in place to ensure that females feel very comfortable. One of their programs in the Jungle Queen Program where women can work in the jungle with the bugs and dirt and be one with nature. You can be your strong awesome badass selves.

5. Do you really need a fifth reason?! Hurry and go sign up, you won't regret it, the Hawaii sunshine is waiting for you!

A different way to enjoy paradise

I have been an intern at Hedonisia for eight months now. During my stay here I have learned more than I ever expected. Coming to Hawaii with the opportunity to live cheaply and learn about alternative living seemed like a dream. Arriving in a new place full of strangers was undoubtedly overwhelming but the community welcomed me with enthusiasm and kindness.

One of the main focuses of the intern program is ethical entrepreneurship. I have never really seen myself as an entrepreneur however, this place showed me how you can use your ideals, the goal of making the world a better place and making money a possibility. Seeing this work successfully will stick with me forever and has changed how I view entrepreneurialism.

This place is quirky, unique and alternative. It challenged me to be stronger physically, communicate more efficiently, and develop strong bonds quickly. The people I met here and lessons I learned will always be incredibly special to me. I highly recommend it to anyone who is adventurous, open-minded, adaptable, and willing to learn.

Interning in a Hawaiian eco-community

Hedonisia caught my eye while I was looking for a fun, yet productive adventure for my last summer as a college undergraduate. I read about all the different aspects of Hedonisia and was immediately intrigued. I applied for the internship program, had a phone conversation with the community director, was accepting into the intern training program and booked my flight! I arrived in Hawaii to open arms and a friendly environment.
As an intern, your weekly work requirements are just two days per week. These two days are long and full of work, but leave you a majority of the week to do whatever you feel. During my stay I learned a lot about sustainable living, community living, feminism, green building, permaculture, hospitality and tourism management, entrepreneurship, communication, and so much more. I enjoyed it so much I came back a second time after I graduated! It's a fun environment with an energy of people constantly coming and going from around the world. There are always people up for an adventure to go check one of the many amazing sites of the Big Island, or to just hang out and have interesting conversation in the barn.
Hedonisia does a great job of balancing a strong sense of community while at the same time respecting people as individuals. All of this is made possible by strong core community principles and guidelines that are always evolving to fit the community needs. No matter what reason draws you to Hedonisia, you will have an amazing time and meet a lot of amazing people.