Volunteer with Children in Fiji
Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer with Children in Fiji

Connections

My most memorable experience was the connections we make with the village and the school. the people whose lives we touched and the people who touched our lives.

The best aspects of the program for me were the people

The best aspects of the program for me were the people. The locals, my Fijian family, class 3, and my fellow volunteers definitely made this experience phenomenal.

Unearthed a passion I didn't know was there

I spent 14 weeks on an island that I had known nothing about. I just needed a break from school and from everything else in my life. Unlike all my friends who had internships, mentors and five-year plans, I had no idea what I wanted to pursue. So, after some research, I found a volunteer program that involved kids in some place sunny and warm. (Best of both worlds, right?). What I got instead was the experience of a lifetime. As cliche as it sounds, words cannot describe the situations, challenges, and tasks that I was faced with. About a month into the program, the whole country got hit by a category 5 cyclone. The village I was living with, as well as the livelihood of the Fijian people I was living alongside, was completely destroyed. However, when I was faced with this disaster alongside my team and the GVI staff, for the first time in my life I didn't feel helpless. The way we came together to begin the rebuild process was indescribable. The support I received from fellow volunteers and staff was overwhelming and I was able to discover something that felt worthwhile. I discovered that helping people in a place and culture that is so foreign to western life is pretty awesome. I became super close to my host family, and was able to see some of the most beautiful people resiliently thriving amongst the destruction of a natural disaster. I returned with this new found passion for diving into crazy experiences for the good of mankind. The way GVI has established their presence within the community is undoubtedly why they are so successful. There is no other organization like it.

My time in school

The best aspect of my programme in Fiji was my time in school, from initially testing the children through reading records to then planning intense lessons that tailored for individual students it was extremely rewarding.

Everything was great!

I loved the fact that we were right in the village so that we could interact with the villagers. It was great having a family that we could go and visit and I became very attached to mine! I loved going to school every day and seeing the children there that were so happy to be at school and learning everything that you taught them. The trips available at the weekend were excellent and I really enjoyed climbing Top Peak even if it was hard work!

Unforgettable experience!

I would never forget seeing the kids brighten up every time they understand something. I also appreciate life in the village and especially getting to know the locals and their culture a little better.

Great way to experience another culture!

I really enjoyed the people I met-Fijian people are so incredibly warm, open, and welcoming, and the GVI volunteers and staff were mostly friendly and approachable. Also, the location was superb. Stunningly beautiful.

The village was very welcoming!

Staff were all very helpful! Someone was always there to assist if needed. It is in a beautiful location. I gained so much from the little time that I was there that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. I would be glad to assist future volunteers that have questions before deployment so feel free to give them my email to contact(only email). I would give them information such as where to buy a phone/internet stick since EVERYONE on base has one. I would also recommend what to bring from what i made mistakes from.

Couldn't be more blessed with this experience!

No amount of pictures or words can justify my experience with GVI in Fiji. I loved all aspects of my experience. From living within the village to teaching class one, I looked forward to each day. I not only had the opportunity to strengthen my skills as a future teacher, but also immerse myself in Fijian culture. Leaving was extremely hard, but I could not be more blessed with the memories, skills, and experiences gained. Truly wonderful and positive in every way!

I got to experience a whole new way of life!

I absolutely loved living in the village and learning a completely new culture. The Fijian people were so welcoming and they wanted to help you just as much as you wanted to help them. The kids at school were also wonderful. It was obvious that the education system needs work and I felt like we were doing something very good by being there.

It was such a fantastic experience!

Definitely loved working with the kids, it was so much fun and felt worthwhile when you could see them improving with their skills. The staff and people in the village were wonderful to work with and so helpful! Also, getting our own Fijian family was a wonderful experience!

Best experience of my life!

I loved every single day of my 3 months in Fiji. What made it so great was the place and all the locals. The Fijians were so welcoming and nice and I got to see so much of their culture, how they live and what they do all day. The school and my class was probably the best experience there because i really got to know every child and it was so nice to work with them one on one and finally see some progress in their english after some time. The base in the Yasawas was incredible, it really felt like home. The staff members were all so nice and they made my time in Fiji even better because they were all so helpful and they all became my very good friends.

So privileged to be a part of this program

It was great being a part of the village community. They are such wonderful people that I felt privileged to be there. Plus teaching the children and being a part of the school community was so rewarding.

Village life was great!

I enjoyed the life in the village. The best experiences was that every volunteer had his own Fijian family. And we were part of their life.

It was an amazing experience that I'd never forget. The villager gave us so much and everybody was happy that we were there. Working in the school was really hard but I had a lot of fun with the students.

It made me a stronger person

I loved every part. My most positive experience was probably the home stay with the teachers at the school. I got to hang out with my students all day. It was an amazing experience. I loved meeting all the different vollies, too!

I handled things I didn't know I could and I grew in ways I didn't know I needed to. It was an excellent program.

Felt like I'm truly a part of the local community

Teaching was brilliant so my time at the front of the class were the most precious moments for me. Living on base was fine but it was the time at school which made the trip.

It was fantastic to feel part of the local community and that your presence is valued rather than intrusive.

I had so many positive experiences!

The base manager for one. Sara King does a wonderful job. She makes you feel welcome and even if she isn't feeling well, she is still upbeat and always positive. I loved the culture and the way the programs are run. I liked that I could be as involved in the classroom as I felt comfortable. I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world.

GVI was brilliant!

The children who i worked with were amazing, as were the other volunteers and staff. SK and Katie made the experience so enjoyable and were always there to help and inspire. The islands were beautiful too!

Learned lots of things!

I loved seeing my class really grasp the lessons mu partner and I put together! It was very rewarding to see them learn and have fun.

I was taken out of my comfort zone and really learned how to deal with tough circumstances, and got amazing teaching skills from simple trial and error in the classroom.

Awesome experience

The school and the locals were so welcoming and accommodating. The children were by far the best part about the whole trip, other highlights included bonding with the other volunteers and programme leaders.

I really enjoyed the team working environment

I found program staff to be brilliantly personable and able to establish good strong relationships with volunteers. Staff were (in most cases) approachable and open to questions about the program as well as ideas and feedback from volunteers, this was a brilliant aspect of the program as I had a lot of questions and was so happy to see discussion not only heard but questions encouraged. A great camaraderie between staff and volunteers on base is set by the staff as soon as volunteers arrive. Volunteers are encouraged to share and enjoy the experience and the base saw a breakdown of working groups by programs with everyone mucking in for base work and enjoying each other company and sharing experiences.

Everything was great!

I loved being on the islands instead of mainland Fiji. It was amazing to see how the locals live and to be useful in educating the children - they were brilliant kids. An amazing place to be. There were also a good number of volunteers which made living on base enjoyable. The staff were fantastic.

Fell in love with the way of life

The most positive experience for me would be how little we needed and the simplicity of everything. I loved not having electricity for most of the day and the fact that i managed to make 300 pounds last for 6 weeks just proved to me that you dont need that much in life. The staff were so lovely and i felt completely safe the entire time. I was so happy living in these basic conditions- to be honest its really depressing being back home. i did enjoy teaching, although i think i fell in love with the way of life more than the job of teaching, and if i could i would go back and do the marine programme.

Felt like I'm a part of a community

I loved getting to know the children in the village and feeling I was bringing exciting new opportunities and experiences into the classroom. I enjoyed getting to know the other volunteers and field staff and taking part in the other side trips such as seeing the dolphins and waterfall. Feeling a part of the community and being accepted into the village to drink Kava and dance with the villagers was also special.

Amazing experience!

It was a great feeling teaching a 6 year old his alphabet and one of the older children who was 'trouble' at school telling me he is now reading at home. The children were amazing and the whole community welcomed us with open arms and were extremely grateful for the work that we were doing.