Volunteer with Children in Costa Rica
Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer with Children in Costa Rica

Every moment I felt like I was helping in some way

The best aspect of this programme was being totally immersed in the project from the very first moment. By this I mean that every moment I felt like I was helping in some way. I loved that I could be so involved with the children. Whether it was teaching them or helping them with crafts or playing at the park I always felt like I was doing something worth while. I loved how I the activities that I helped to plan on Mondays actually worked during the week and I could see the children learning and enjoying their time there. For me that was the best thing about GVI. How much of a difference I knew that I was making.

Best thing I've ever done!

I went feeling pretty worried that this would be just another "volunteerism" project where it was all for show - but how wrong I was. GVI genuinely care about the partners they work with and all the work they do is at the local partner's request - meaning when you go on project you feel like a valued member of the community and that you are really making a difference. The location is beautiful, the locals are amazing, and the staff at GVI really go the extra mile. The base is basic but comfortable and it really does become a massive volunteer family when everyone sits down to eat together in the evening. Being on project is hard work, and the kids can be really challenging sometimes, but it always pays off when you see them genuinely enjoying themselves in a safe space and learning new things. This is mixed up with helping with school events and building work to help improve community spaces, meaning no two days are the same. I had the best time getting to know wonderful people in a unique and breath-taking county.

The children of Costa Rica

I've realised I want to go into teaching due to the pure innocence and love children have to give. Made amazing friends, changed my perspective on a lot of things and generally made me a better person.

Living with people from different cultures was exciting

My most positive experience with GVI in this childcare program in Costa Rica was interacting in the local community, it was fulfilling. And living with people from different background and cultures was exciting.

Everyone was friendly and helpful

My most positive experience during my whole stay with GVI was that everyone was friendly and helpful also being able to teach exercise classes was great for myself and the kids. I would just like to suggest to send out field manual before trip. Design a train the trainer (teacher session)

Amazing experience!

Most positive experience during my stay in Costa Rica with GVI was the last day when all the kids said goodbye to me, even the ones I was teaching! I would be willing to go to another GVI program because it was amazing!

I had a great time

I was able to meet incredible friends and I had a great time with my teacher and my 5th graders during my stay with GVI. I would be willing to be part of another program cause there are so many different programs with so much to do.

I made wonderful friends who I will have forever

The most positive experiences I had were with the people I met there. I made wonderful friends who I will have forever.
I felt that the manager of our program was not suited for the job. He was constantly sarcastic and rude and was always talking down to people like we were stupid. He also made some of the second language English speakers feel uncomfortable because of certain things they said, making them not want to talk as much. He was not someone you can talk to with problems, and when I wanted to request a day off he wouldn't even take the time to listen to my reasoning. I had to go to the woman above him. There should be friendly managers who aren't so rude and smart with everyone. I also was extremely disappointed in the program I signed up for because it simply didn't exist. I had signed up for music thinking there was a program already in place where I could teach kids or at least have a time already set to do so. I was able to play for about 10 kids, two times. One time wasn't even organized.

Working with the children

My most positive experience during my whole trip in Costa Rica with GVI was working with the children. I would be willing to do another program of GVI but the staff needs to be more supportive of work in community center, because volunteers were often left alone.