Volunteer on Construction Projects in Nepal
Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer on Construction Projects in Nepal

Unforgettable experience

My volunteering in Pokhara was overall a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I worked with an amazing, dynamic and energetic team on some great projects for the local community. During my weeks there I got to contribute to a much-needed chicken coop/rabbit house for the boys' home, a temple for a local school and a new building for the childcare centre. I loved the diversity of tasks and flexibility in trying new things. Combined with the great and relaxed life on base and opportunity to travel and explore during weekends it was an ideal program. I would recommend this to anyone!

Amazing people

The people (both staff and locals) are amazing - very kind and helpful and I had no problem contacting GVI for any queries. However, if I were to return, I'd love to do so on the condition I went out in some engineering capacity, not just painting. This is because I went out for construction - I'm an engineer and could have been put to more use and left behind a lot more if I hadn't painted for two weeks.

Truly Special, Memorable, and Wonderful.

There were many very enjoyable experiences! I really loved seeing the rooms I had helped paint being put in use as classrooms, I loved all of the social events arranged for my fellow volunteers and I (quizzes, dinners, film night, etc.), particularly the tradition of having a farewell presentation, complete with traditional Nepali thikka and scarf giving, and a special dinner with all of my fellow volunteers and the GVI staff. That was a very special, truly memorable and wonderful evening.

I think volunteering in such an extremely different country has taught me lots of things that I couldn't learn in any other way, and is obviously a much more useful way of immersing oneself into a culture than just going on holiday. I think that volunteering gives one a much truer, fuller impression of a place and its people, inevitably puts you into situations in which you will meet many amazing, generous people and have some eye-opening experiences. I found GVI to be an extremely welcoming, supportive, organised yet flexible NGO, and so, if/when time and finances allow, I would definitely choose to volunteer with them.