Teaching & Community Development Internship in South Africa
Beach cottages Beach cottages

Teaching & Community Development Internship in South Africa

It was the most amazing experience of my life

I enjoyed the whole experience with GVI in South Africa, the most positive experience was working with the children. It was the most amazing experience of my life and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I felt I made a little difference to those children lives

I was with GVI for three weeks, getting to know the different children personalities , I taught two students ,it was great to see them process with their education. I felt I made a little difference to those children lives and for that reason I would like to do it again and if finances allowed would like to do it for longer.

Overall, I had the most amazing four weeks doing this GVI program

Overall, I had the most amazing four weeks doing this GVI program. The kids at the orphanage are incredible and so smart. They made me look forward to going to work every day. I really liked this program since there was a good mix of fun and work compared to other programs I have done. The hours and the half days on Fridays allowed us to explore locally and also see more of South Africa. I loved everything about my four weeks in South Africa and would absolutely do another GVI program!

I enjoyed my experience

I enjoyed my experience and would be interested in seeing other countries through GVI. My most positive experience during my stay in South Africa were the side trips and the children that I got to meet.

Had a fantastic experience

How open GVI were to different ideas, and how encouraging they were for people to take on their own projects. Had a fantastic experience. Would like to try a project with less program support, as this program felt a bit like voluntourism at times.

I have loved my experiences both times with GVI

My most positive experiences were being on project. I made memories that will never leave me for my entire lifetime. Now that I am home, I truly will miss the kids forever. This was my second GVI trip, and so far I have no complaints. Overall, GVI offers some of the cheapest volunteer trips you can find and yet don't lack the quality of the most expensive trips. I have loved my experiences both times with GVI.

I had many many positive experiences

I had many many positive experiences. I was grateful for the safe living conditions and transportation. The staff is wonderful. The program is well organized and I think its wonderful. I enjoyed working with the children the most and feeling what a difference GVI was making for being there, and the short time I was there, I played a role in the continuation of the project.

I loved the children

I loved the children, I loved the impact GVI has, Sheryl was lovely, very encouraging and always took the time to answer any questions I had. The accommodation was described as on site, but it wasn't. The side trips never occurred despite booking them. The training and introduction were good as was the onsite training. The only thing I would suggests is more training on creating a plan for the following day for the smaller group and one-on-one teaching. Not having a teaching backgroup I would have appreciated some assistance in what to plan for the following day. With regards to the food, as it was Christmas we did not have a meal ready every day, but we made do and there were plenty of places to eat off site if required.

I am in love with Cape Town

My most memorable and treasured time from my trip would be working with the children at ikhayalethemba. It was such a rewarding and inspiring experience. I also loved meeting and working with other volunteers who I can call my good friends. The side trips I did were incredible, I had the time off life.

Well organized

I feel that I left with a thorough overview of the area and that the program is well organized for the next 2-week volunteers to continue. As a suggestion make sure the orientation volunteers are enthusiastic. A written list of the children with their names, etc would be helpful for visual learners such as myself.

I had a good time

My most memorable experiences were teaching the kids, seeing how happy they are when we are at the orphanage, playing with the them, meeting new friends from all over the world, the side trip in Cape town, learning more about myself, and about the country, culture etc.

It was a great sense of achievement

The two weeks gave me a reality check, that we shouldn't take everything we have for granted. This is something I've always wanted to do, at this time in my life I had the time, money and opportunity to do something to help and hopefully impart my love and learnings into something worthwhile. Working with the younger orphans, whilst it was very challenging because of the conditions, I believe I was able to help to continue their learning of the English language, their coordination skills and their understanding of pronunciation in general.

I enjoyed working with all the children

I enjoyed working with all the children and being part of their lives for two weeks, the teaching of the children was great and seeing how much an influence the volunteers have in each of the children's lives.

I want to do more to help and move children forward to more opportunities

My most positive experience was seeing the work of GVI in the life of children in the Orphanages in South Africa and the limitless work of the field staff. I want to do more to help and move children forward to more opportunities

It was amazing

It was amazing to go back and see all the positive changes that have happened over the last 3 years. For example each child at the orphanage having a social worker attached to them. It was also brilliant to here that some of the children have now been reunited with their families because of this change! I loved working with all the children at the orphanage; they are strong, intelligent and amazing children! Even in 2 weeks you can see the difference you make to them. For example, one of the children was new to the orphanage and at the start of the 2 weeks would not interact with volunteers or the other children. By the end of the 2 weeks she was playing with the other children more, said a few words to me and would walk around by herself more, rather than needing to be carried or holding someones hand all the time. She was even naughty once!! The school I worked in had raised some money for the project before I went out and it was great that the Program Manager took the time to sit down with me and discuss what this money could be used for and what else we can do in the future to help.

Everyday was a positive and memorable experience

Everyday at the orphanage was a positive and memorable experience. I loved it and never wanted to leave those kids! I also really enjoyed living in community with the other volunteers. It was a great way to get to know other people from around the world. Now I have made some lifelong friendships with people who have the same interests as me.

It made me feel that I made an impact

My most positive experience was being able to work so closely with the children in the community in South Africa and being able to put my ideas into action, making me feel like I had an impact during my stay.

Enjoyed my time!

The people I met and the kids i worked with was no doubt the best experience. I asked to move houses due to an issue with another volunteer and it was dealt with immediately and very well. I would like to thank them for this as i enjoyed my last two weeks so much more than i would have had i stayed in the first house.

Dedicated staff

I loved working with the children. Hope Center was a highlight and it was wonderful to work in an environment where everybody was so dedicated. The coordinators (NIck, Brian, Holly and JT) were fantastic and I loved their dedication to the projects and the kids.

The kids were so inspirational!

Staff were so lovely - beth mabey and mel - you are awesome! Everything was more than wonderful. The leaving presentation was a lovely and unexpected idea. Best experience was meeting the kids and working so hands on with them. The kids are what I came for and the kids are what i enjoyed the most. They are a complete inspiration and delight.

Felt like I was making a difference in these kids' lives

The most positive experience was definitely being able to interact with the children in the nursery. The nursery was where I felt like we were making the biggest difference. The best feeling in the world was when I was trying to teach one little boy how to count to ten, and no matter what I did, he kept forgetting five, until the day before I left, when he finally remembered it! I was so happy to see that I had actually made a difference in his education.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!

I loved working in the primary school, I loved the sense of achievement from starting with a room full of children who didn't understand what you were trying to teach them, to finishing with them all being confident with how to answer the questions, it gave a reward that the nursery did not. Working with the nursery kids was phenomenal and if I was to go back I would want to be placed there because they were so adorable, but I will remember actually teaching the older children as a more positive experience, as I don't think I quite had the knack for teaching the nursery kids!

I would love to come back!

Our coordinators were unbelievably helpful (especially Beth and Nick!) and all of the people I worked with in general made the experience as wonderful as it could be. The children at the orphanage and nursery were so fun, even if they were being naughty 90% of the time! Social nights were so much fun and the side trips were great. I can't think of a single thing that wasn't positive!

Great experience!

It was absolutely refreshing to bond with the children and the other volunteers also the coordinators. I had both positive and negative experiences, but the positive definitely outweigh the negatives.

I believe that GVI is making a positive impact

I believe the most positive experience I had with GVI was meeting everyone I did. Not only were the other volunteers and coordinators awesome people, but the children we worked with really inspired me.