High School Volunteer and Adventure Experience in Nepal
Beach cottages Beach cottages

High School Volunteer and Adventure Experience in Nepal

A chaperone's experience

My name is Thomas and I’m 27 years old. Coming to Nepal has been an enriching experience for which I am incredibly grateful. Having the opportunity to volunteer with the Tibetan refugee community has served as a valuable reminder of the importance of service to others. It has been particularly inspiring to witness the impact that this time has had on the other members of our group. I hope that everyone can carry the lessons of this experience with them as they return to their communities in the United States.
The trek was a definite Highlight, as it provided a chance to glimpse the natural beauty and cultural depth of this amazing country. (Chaperone)

• Personal Development

Experiencing this helped widen my perspective

My name is Willow and I’m participating in the GVI Nepal program. The third world country experience helped widen my perspective from a small town life in America, I feel like witnessing that was one of the most important parts of the trip. Working with and for the Tibetan kids in their hostel furthered that contrast between lives. As far as tourist attraction go, the peace pagoda was by far my favourite, the views were breathtaking. The feeling when we were there was so calming and peaceful, it’s one of the places I would definitely come back to and strongly recommend. Lastly, the trek was my favourite part of the trip. The weather was moderate for us, we were allowed to go at our own pace in the different parts and the feeling of accomplishment at the end of each day was worth all the sweat. Mountain views were indescribable and probably the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

My AFS/GVI trip to Nepal has been amazing

My name is Saleia. I’m 16 years old and my AFS/GVI trip to Nepal has been amazing. The highlight of my trip was going to the Tibetan refugee school and painting the study/dining room. To see the impact and progress you make each day and as the kids get more comfortable around you was such a rewarding feeling. This trip has taught me so much about who I want to be. You’re surrounded by these inspiring adults and teenagers and you all go through this amazing experience and grow together. I got to see what I want to do with my life. GVI gave me a platform to firsthand see the issues or planet faces, from education to poverty, to human-trafficking. I got to learn and work towards making a difference. That feeling of bonding with the school children and the positive impact you leave behind is an indescribable warmth. You get to learn so much culturally but also about yourself. It’s an experience I would encourage every teenager to take advantage of this opportunity and see where it takes them. Who knows, you may have a hidden passion for Dahl-baht waiting to be discovered.

• Personal Development

Checked off another item from my bucket list

My name is Luke. What Nepal meant to me was a chance to go explore another culture and to share my experiences with my family and friends. What I enjoyed the most about this trip was meeting up with an old friend. I also enjoyed seeing the beautiful mountains and getting to check off another item from my bucket list. Another fantastic moment form Nepal was waking up early in the morning with a cup of hot tea and a great book, watching the sunrise over the Himalayas. The food was also a great experience, to be able to taste authentic food and enjoy a healthy portion of Dhal-Baht.

Life-changing

I’m Kate, a 16 year old from Montana who was anxious and hesitant about traveling so far away. However, the lovely AFS, GVI staff and people of Nepal blew me away with how caring and welcoming they were. While I enjoyed the breathtaking mountains and learning about the culture, the things I have learned about myself and my passions were the most significant and life-changing. The deprivation around me was so hard to see and I found new role-models in the women at SASANE (Survivors of human-trafficking). It really impressed me with how happy people were despite their poverty. Honestly, I don’t have words for all the feelings that swirl around inside me in describing this experience. I have gained a deeper appreciation for the luxuries back home, and also developed a sense of global responsibility to be more grateful and serve in the future. I feel braver, older, and more independent; yet simultaneously I will always have a piece of my heart with the children at the Tibetan refugee school. I am so grateful for this unforgettable experience – I see similar volunteering in my future.

• Personal Development

This has been one of the most culturally immersive experiences that I have gotten the opportunity to be a part of. Being from a rural and a bit sheltered community I had not been exposed to the varying levels of cultural diversity that often times make up a thriving society. When we arrived in Nepal I was exposed to a completely foreign culture and way of life. One of the most memorable moments was working at the Tibetan school and getting the chance to look at life in their eyes. Despite the common hardships that these children and their countries have encountered, they are some of the most radiant and driven kids that I’ve met. The chance to play games and interact with them was one that I’d never take back. The look on the children’s faces when they saw the change in their hostel was incredible in more ways than one. Though the trek was quite difficult, it was amazing to witness the rural villages and of course the beautiful Annupurnas. In all, I think that this trip was the perfect combination of getting to experience Nepal’s culture, the things they value most and getting to know the group of phenomenal people. My 2 weeks in Nepal were full of some of the most enjoyable and meaningful moments in my life.

• Personal Development

I was able to put my time towards important community service

My name is Ethan from Berkeley, California in the United States. There are many reasons I chose to travel to Nepal, one of the primary ones being that I wanted to gain perspective on how people live on the literal opposite side of the planet from my home. Additionally, I had the privilege of experiencing a variety of different cultures, seeing one of the most beautiful places in the world and I was able to put my time towards important community service and impact the lives of individuals who have less than me.

• Personal Development

This trip has really made a huge impact for me

My name is Drake. I am 15 and from Iowa. I applied for this Nepal trip because it would give me an opportunity to help those less fortunate to me and really make the greatest impact I could. I also chose this trip because I am very interested in this for a future career. After working with the kids and seeing how happy they were after we were finished was priceless and I really hope I get more and more opportunities like this in the future. Overall, this trip has really made a huge impact for me on a personal level, as it opened my mind and heart for the individual people, community and well-being of the Nepalese culture. I have made many new friends and would like to thank them very much for making me feel loved during my time here. I will forever remember this trip, including the people, experiences, laughter and the creation of my new passion for the momo making.

• Personal Development

I am beyond happy with my time in Nepal

My name is Celeste and I am from Tillamook, Oregon. I chose to go to Nepal because I wanted to see the mountains and experience a new culture. Overall, I am beyond happy with my time in Nepal. The service project was painting in the Tibetan refugee school located in Pokhara, Nepal. It was an honor to get to meet some of the children. They all had good goals for the future, some wanted to be doctors, others wanted to be actors and etc. It was inspiring to see students taking their education seriously unlike so many back in America. After the service project we went on a four day trek. It was a little challenging but worth every step up the never ending stairs. The weather was perfect and we saw great views of the mountains such as fishtail. We also learned about human-trafficking through SASANE. Human-trafficking is a serious problem in Nepal and needs to meets its end. In conclusion the food was great, the views were terrific and I learnt much more about Nepalese culture than I would have ever learnt in a class room.

• Personal Development

I’ve gained a lot with this trip

I came to Nepal expecting some nice views and good food but I am leaving with much more than that. I’ve gained new friends, a greater understanding of this amazing country and some newfound calf muscles. This has been the greatest two weeks I could have asked for, and I am sure that I will carry these memories with me for the rest of my life.

Grateful

Hi! My name is Anna Rose. I’m 14 years old and have lived in Colorado, USA for my entire life. Where I come from is very sheltered, safe, crime-free place. When I received this scholarship to go on any program, I chose Nepal to learn and experience as much as I could about the world at this age. As I’ve been reflecting throughout the trip, I’m constantly reminded how lucky I am to be here. The diversity of activities and experiences which have been provided to us by GVI and the Nepali people are unforgettable. Something that has consistently stood out to me is the established relationship that GVI has with locals and foreigners alike. The trip was a perfect mix of trekking, working and learning about the culture. On the trek I was personally challenged (physically) and off the trek was a learning experience in itself. There were a lot of special things on this trip but the impactful was the kids that we met at the Tibetan refugee camp. Nepal is a really special place and I’m very glad I made the choice to come here. I’ve learnt an immense amount about myself and the world around me. There are a lot of things in this world which we sometimes reject where I come from, whether it’s human trafficking or how to make momo’s. It’s a completely different culture and way of life here and I’ve loved every minute of learning about it. A man that we met at a Buddhist temple told us about the significance of impermanence in his religion. Even though this trip was impermanent and won’t last forever, I’m grateful for the impact it’s had on me and the memories I’ve made.

Amazing & meaningful experience in Nepal

Traveling to Nepal was one of the best decisions I did in my life. Everything was all I hope for. There were challenges at first, but it's nothing with what I experienced while I was there. I enjoyed seeing the views on the trek and meeting the young kids at the school.

All of my fellow volunteers felt that we collectively left the school better than what it was when we initially came. Thank you GVI!

• Personal Development

A trip to remember forever

I have really enjoyed my time in Nepal. It’s made me understand Global Issues a lot more and gave me the opportunity to experience how others live. It’s really helped me to realise the role I want in life. I was inspired by the positivity of all the locals and the children of the school. The staff were all very helpful and looked after us well. I celebrated my birthday on the trip and the staff and volunteers made it a day to remember. I have no regrets booking this trip.

• Personal Development

I enjoyed my time in Nepal

Having led such a privileged life so far a volunteering trip to a country that had so recently been devastated by an earthquake seemed so much in order. Upon reviewing my time in Nepal I feel assured in saying I have effectively helped a school that desperately needed a revamp as well as enjoying time playing with the pupils. I’ve been able to spend time with great new friends within the gorgeous Nepali mountains whilst being enriched in the unique culture of Nepal.

• Personal Development

An amazing and unique experience I will always remember.

These two weeks have truly been an amazing experience! I loved going to Pame to play wth the kids and to help out. I feel like I made so many great friends I would never meet at home and I had a blast with them. The trek was a challenge and not easy but I’m happy I did it every single morning when I woke up to incredible landscapes. I am very sad to be leaving but I don’t feel like I’m going to regret not doing something because we had the chance to volunteer, go on a trek and visited Pokhara and a bit of Kathmandu. I really enjoyed the day when we visited Pokhara, the Peace Pagoda and the suspension bridge etc and went to the Tibetan refugee camp and to the outdoor cinema.
Overall it has been an amazing and unique experience I will always remember.

An eye opening experience

My name is May Leng and I am from California in the US. I decided to join GVI and go to Nepal because I have never been to a developing country before and I wanted to know what it was like since I have been living in Palo Alto my whole life and I wanted to help the community and experience their culture. When I arrived in Nepal, the staff were so inviting and welcoming that I already felt like I would enjoy my time in Nepal. The volunteering was an eye opening experience because I got to see how the people of Pame lived with only the basic resources and how happy they were with just that and I was introduced to a completely different culture. I loved my time here in Nepal because I got to explore Nepal and get to improve a school and have fun at the same time.

• Personal Development

One of the most amazing summers of my life

Hi my name is Eve Harari and I have had a wonderful time with GVI in Nepal. This summer has been one of the most amazing summers of my life because of the excellent friends that I know will last a lifetime. While I was here in Nepal I have felt like I’ve made a huge difference in many people’s lives while volunteering and meeting all of the kids. There are so many moments on this trip where I felt like it was a dream because I was the happiest I have ever been. I have so many great memories with great people. There are so many times when we would all be sitting around talking and I would think to myself how lucky I am to have this experience. One of the highlight for me was on the trek. We got to dance with the local people while having the best view of the mountains. I felt so lucky to have been able to meet new people and experience their culture with them, What I can conclude from this trip is that I have had the best time and made the best friends. I can also say that I will keep these wonderful memories for a very long time.
Visiting Nepal with GVI this summer was an amazing experience and one that I will never forget. Volunteering taught me so much and it was humbling to see how our work made a difference to the students at the school improving their working environment something that seemed long overdue.
I couldn’t have imagined a better way to end our adventure other than the trek, words cannot describe the beauty and magnitude of the Himalayas and sharing the views with all the great friend made throughout my time in Nepal definitely made it even more special. I truly didn’t expect to click so well with the other volunteers but it was interesting to meet like-minded teens I will definitely be meeting up with in the future for more adventures.

An amazing adventure in Nepal

So I chose the GVI programme to Nepal primarily because of the volunteering aspect as well as the trek. I have really enjoyed the opportunities on this programme; for instance meeting like minded young people from all over the globe that I know I will now be friends with for life. We also enjoyed the cultural immersion. My personal highlight of the cultural side of the trip was visiting the Tibetan refugee camp at which we had the chance to watch evening prayers at a Buddhist temple and talk to a young Buddhist monk. As well as this we had many chances to experience things such as traditional Nepali food like dal baht. For me though the primary purpose of this trip was the opportunity to volunteer as an under 18, although the work was tiring and strenuous, it was a truly rewarding experience. I loved playing with the kids as well as seeing sheer excitement on seeing their newly refurbished rooms. In addition the trek was an amazing bonding experience, despite the unique challenges (primarily the vast plethora of steps) we faced during the trek I would do it again in a heartbeat. My personal highlight of the trek was on the penultimate evening dancing with our guides and porters to traditional Nepali music, it was a once in a lifetime experience. All in all I’m always going to treasure my time spent in Nepal the combination of the volunteer project, trekking, cultural experience as well as the opportunity to meet other young people from across the globe. As well as the global view the GVI programme provided made my time in Nepal a one off amazing adventure.

Wish I stayed longer

The volunteering was not as I expected it to be, it was by far better than in my dreams. There is nothing as satisfying as the feeling of achieving something that will last and will help communities who actually need our help. You have the chance of being a part of an important project and also have the possibility of interacting with Nepalese children and see the fire in their eyes as they play with you.
By going to Nepal you earn a huge culture on the Nepalese traditions and lifestyle but also of the different countries the other volunteers come from. By volunteering you are guaranteed to have crazy laughs caused by other volunteers who will soon be a part of your heart for an undefined amount of time. An inexplicable bond is created between you and helps you stay motivated all the trek long. My only regret about volunteering in Nepal was to not stay longer.
I remember being scared of the trek but finally the enthusiastic and cheerful attitude of the other volunteers made it easy and made the time fly too quickly.

AMAZING EXPERIENCE!

I went on the under 18s trip to Nepal, Pokhara and it has been one of the most amazing experiences! Despite starting a few weeks later than everyone else, everybody was so nice and I have definitely made lifelong friends from so many different places around the world. My favourite part of the trip was the trek. It was challenging but the views were literally unbeatable! Whilst at the same time we saw so much Nepalese culture including some dancing with our trek guides. The volunteering was also a completely amazing experience where we painted classrooms in a Nepalese rural school giving a great sense of accomplishment, whilst seeing the Nepalese children in school and playing clapping games with them at their break time.

Best month in my life

When I first signed up for GVI Nepal’s Under 18s programme I never could have imagined the impact just four weeks would have on me. Both the people I have met and the things that I have experienced have changed my outlook on how the world works and what it means to be part of it. Interacting and living with people from places like the UK, China, Oman and France (to name a few) as well as being immersed in Nepalese culture has allowed me to experience different cultures first hand and form lifelong friendships with people from around the world. The highlight of the trip though was volunteering at the school in rural Nepal. My fellow volunteers and I had the chance to renovate some of the classrooms in the school and the smiles on the kids flashed when they saw the finished rooms were almost a bright as the sunny yellow paint on the walls. While interacting and playing with the kids during their break was fun, it meant a lot to me that we were doing work that would leave a lasting impression at the school and in the community. The most memorable (and most challenging) 4 days were the trek. Although it was difficult, being surrounded by my ne-pals (as well as a bunch of cute dogs) helped me get to the top and I have no doubt in my mind that the views and the adventure made the struggle worth it. All in all this past month has been the best month in my life and the memories I have made will stick with me forever.

• Personal Development

Thank you for this amazing experience!

The GVI in Nepal was one of the best time I've ever had and a great and wonderful experience. Knowing people of an other culture, living so near among them, helping them and visiting their culture and their wonderful country...this was so unique! Thank you for this amazing experience!