Teach English in Myanmar (Burma) with Greenheart Travel

• Host School or Placement

• Compensation & Benefits

• Support Services

Myanmar is enchanting!

My experience in Myanmar was magical. The people, the cuisine (and beer), and the sights to behold—everything was absolutely enchanting!

I lived and worked for a total of three years in Yangon (2013-2016). Just as the country transformed rapidly during that time, I, too, grew both personally and professionally.

Myanmar people are extremely hospitable and funny! The amount of sarcasm and playfulness I experienced and/or observed from my Myanmar friends, neighbors, students and colleagues made me feel at home right away.

I taught at Myanmar Noble College, a private institution where students could achieve their HND (Higher National Diploma). My students ranged in age from 16-22. I instructed over 200 students a week in an effort to help them prepare for their IELTS exam. In order to study abroad in an English-speaking country, students must get a high score on the IELTS test.

I had a pretty normal teaching schedule. I worked a regular 40-hour week, Monday-Friday. Some teachers do work on the weekends, however. It depends on where you’re placed.

I went to Myanmar as a Greenheart Travel Teach Abroad Correspondent, which meant I got to share my experience through monthly videos and blog posts for Greenheart Travel.

Sara Thacker, the program manager for Greenheart Travel’s opportunity in Myanmar, efficiently and easily got me there, checked in on me during my time, and continued corresponding with me even after I had ventured off on my own!

Jill Robinson, Greenheart Travel’s marketing director, was a blast to work with! We got to know each personally, and she often reached out to me when the photos, videos, and blog posts I submitted would tell of particular challenges I was facing at the time. Thanks, Jill!

Myanmar isn’t the easiest place I’ve lived overseas. Yangon is extremely hot. The power goes out regularly. Resources at schools tend to be a bit limited. And I took a cold shower or bucket bath the entire time I lived there. But, all of these things enhanced my adventure, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Not even the cockroaches.

My recommendation would be to have a cushion of savings before you go, just in case! I had a hard time paying bills at home while I was there. I simply wasn’t making enough for my needs, and I had a hard time finding a way to send money out of the country (this has likely become easier by now).

NOW is when you should experience Myanmar—it’s such an exciting time in its history! So many new places to shop, dine and wine are opening up all over Yangon. Much of what you’ll read online about Myanmar is already outdated. It’s nearly impossible to keep up with how fast the country is changing! Guess you better find out for yourself!

• Host School or Placement

• Compensation & Benefits

• Support Services

A cultural experience

Its an amazing opportunity, An adventure for those looking for a more culturally Authentic experience. I really recommend it . Nay Pyi Daw is the Sleepy capital of Myanmar and is located in the center of the country so it is very easy and cheap to travel around the country. Be warned there aren't a lot of foreigners in the city. but your students are AMAZING and there is a scooter provided for exploring.