Teach English in Colombia with Greenheart Travel
Greenheart Travel participant Greenheart Travel participant

Teach English in Colombia with Greenheart Travel

• Support Services

Greenheart Travel made me feel super comfortable before my trip to Colombia

The best thing about this program is the communication. Not many programs are quick and ready to respond to questions/concerns, but Greenheart is. The pre-departure support and materials from Greenheart were more than enough and made me feel more prepared to set off on the journey. They put me in contact with people from my region and on my flights which made me feel less alone while traveling. While in orientation they still made sure to check in on me to make sure everything was going smoothly for me.

• Support Services

I had an amazing experience that helped me professionally and personally

It would be pretty much impossible for another organization to be more organized, friendly, and responsive than Greenheart, you should immediately forget about using a different program. Greenheart Travel was incredible and in particular Sarah does an amazing job. She is always extremely kind and responsive and gets things done. I honestly don't know how she manages to keep on top of everything given how many people are in/applying to the program but somehow she manages to do it all with incredible efficiency and an amazing, positive attitude. I am in awe! I wouldn't have been able to make it happen if it weren't for this program and Greenheart's working with me to help me get to Colombia.

• Support Services

I had a great experience with Greenheart Travel and you should go with them to Colombia!

I love my students and how the program really involves me in Colombian culture. I have a real life in Colombia that I really love.

For those considering this program, keep an open mind, go with the flow and push your self out of your limits. I know this is cliche but it is extremely true. Once you arrive every little task will seem daunting but you can't let that deter you from living life. Plus it gets easier as you go on.

Greenheart Travel

I feel lucky to have been involved in the Colombian governments effort to improve the education for those who need it most. Greenheart does an amazing job getting you ready for this experience and helping you through the process of applying. Thank you! I had a flawless experience.

My only suggestion would be to explain how it all works earlier on. The program is very complicated in terms of how all of the organizations work together and I didn't really understand that until orientation. It would have helped to understand who all of the players are before going to orientation, just to know what you're walking into.

Advice for Future Participants:
- If you have a hard time with last minute changes, this is not the program for you. You have to be easy going and adaptable. For example, if you have a lesson all planned out, the class could be cancelled last minute because of a mandatory mass that no one knew about previously. Things like that...
- Orientation is really a great time to get to know other fellows! You will not really have time to explore Bogota, but you will bond with your peers! Take advantage of the Pedagogical Team and ask them about questions/concerns you may have. They are all Colombian, so they should know the cultural subtleties that are so very important.
- I have had two phones stolen....no dar papaya.
- I would recommend speaking (at least) a little Spanish when entering into the program. You will have an easier time here with a little knowledge going in.

Thank you for the opportunity! I lucked out.

Come to Colombia!

I would encourage anyone to go with Greenheart because they would be supported in their journey from start to finish. Questions would be answered in a timely manner, you would be prepared to enter country from information on the webinars, and the feedback you provide along the way is heard and taken into account for improvements along the way.

Another thing I like about Greenheart is that they do not just provide lip service on opportunities abroad- they also 'walk the walk'. Sara Thacker Dorsey has visited Colombia several times. Lastly, as I have been in the program, I notice that many of my CoVolunteers consider Sara and Greenheart as much a part of the family while they are in country- continuously sharing our successes with Greenheart (and not just our SENA or Volunteers Colombia teams). Sara was incredibly responsive to any an all questions I had- from inquiring about the program all the way to after my arrival in country (Colombia). I started in Feb. 2017 at a period where there were some funding changes to SENA and this resulted in some challenges- all of which Sara was forthcoming, and patient about.

It would be cool to be able to speak with some current or immediate past volunteers in the cities we are placed prior to departure. I know that there are FB opportunities to do this, but something like a mini-webinar for some of the major cities or even departments could be cool.

If you are considering doing this program my advice is to open your mind, your eyes and your heart. The rest will flow from there. I STRONGLY recommend that any fellow who is considering placement options in some of Colombia's larger or more expensive cities (e.g. Bogota, Medellín, Manizales to name a few) really take stock of what abilities/resources you may have to save money prior to the start of the program. In the same manner that every fellow is on his/her independent journey, his/her housing needs will not be the same, however, the cost of living WILDLY differs amongst departments/cities in Colombia and the reality is that the stipend does NOT cover all locations in a similar or comparable way. I was fortunate to be able to build a nice savings before coming to Bogota, but still find it difficult to live off the stipend.

Come to Colombia with a positive attitude, a willingness to demonstrate your flexibility and a desire to learn and even on your not so great days, things will be just fine!

Barranquilla, Colombia teaching

I am really glad that I stumbled across Greenheart and chose to do the program through them! They were so helpful throughout the pre-departure and continued to check-in after. Greenheart definitely played a huge role in making my experience very positive! Choose Greenheart! From talking to other people in my program that came with different agencies, Greenheart is by far the most organized and supportive. Go in with no expectations and go with the flow.

Teaching in Santa Marta, Colombia

Living somewhere totally different and getting out of my comfort zone was the best part! I think everything was all very good- Sara Thacker was incredible and very good at keeping in contact. The Ministry of Education in Colombia are pretty unorganized/ things could be improved on their end but I think Greenheart did an adequate job of warning me about this prior. My advice for those thinking about doing this program is to keep an open mind. Remember that the whole journey is a roller coaster. Remember when you're having a bad day things can go bad at home too (I feel it's easy once you've parted with home to see it through rose tinted glasses!)

The service from Greenheart was beyond incredible- it was personalised, friendly, super easy to get answers to questions and everything went with ease! I'd recommend Greenheart Travel and would 100% look into other programs with them! Greenheart were incredible- thank you to everyone who helped!