Sri Lanka - Child Care and Community Work
GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

Sri Lanka - Child Care and Community Work

Most fulfilling weeks of my life

The child care and community program in Sri Lanka gave me the chance to help people who really needed it, the special needs project was amazing. The residents in the home loved spending time with us, and wanted to learn English and also enjoyed teaching us volunteers Sinhala. The staff at the project were very helpful and were ready to answer any of our questions or concerns. My time at the project showed me that a small effort can completely change a persons day, the residents all gave us the biggest smile when we spoke to them. My only regret about Sri Lanka is not staying longer ! My experience has changed my life and how I see things , it was more fulfilling than I ever imagined and i will definitely do more volunteer work in the future.

teaching at pre school

I chose the teaching project in pre school during two weeks. I went to a little pre school (about 13 cjildren) in a small village ( 30minutes by bus from the house where i was located).
I was very good welcomed by the teacher and all the parents. For example every morning the caretake brought me a soda !
The teacher began by instructives songs that I could join because most of them where in english and after this it was my turn. I learnd them others english songs, games, drawing, dances...
I brought gloves to make ballons, buffers, felt-tips.
Children didn't understand english but it was not a problem, you don't need to spreak thier language to communicate.
When I arrived a cordinator taught me basic vocabulary so I have tested my Sri Lankan accent with children !
With this trip I saw the real life en Sri Lanka, things that a tourist can't see.
In my country I'm not a teacher but it was not a brake for this project.