South Africa - Great White Shark Conservation
GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

South Africa - Great White Shark Conservation

Awesome experience!

I volunteered with International Marine Volunteers in Gansbaai, South Africa and assisted with daily boat outings for great white shark cage diving. It was such an amazing experience and the people running the program could not be nicer. I got the opportunity to see numerous great white sharks every day of my volunteer program (but that's not guaranteed), and was able to cage dive on multiple occasions. I also took part in shark tracking, beach cleanup, helping out at a nearby animal shelter, and helping out at the program's penguin sanctuary. Not many people can say they have done something like this! And it feels good to be a part of something that seeks to educate the public on these amazing creatures while leaving a minimal impact on the environment.

Amazing experience

My experience through GoEco was nothing short of amazing. This was my first time volunteering abroad and traveling on my own and everyone made my trip stress free.

The program was made so that anyone could volunteer, no matter what your background. The marine biologists and trip coordinators were so friendly and caring. They made me feel so comfortable and were up to answer any questions that I had. Because this was a marine based trip, our days were planned around "sea-days" or "no sea days". So even if there were days where we were not able to get on the water, the coordinators planned out activities for us to do all day long. I learned so much and was able to even get to spend some time volunteering with the African Penguins!

My only criticism is that I chose to volunteer for one week. I'm 100% doing this again, but this time I'll be staying for at least two weeks!