GoEco volunteers GoEco volunteers

Israel - Social Food Program in Tel Aviv

Cindy Chen – Social food program in Tel Aviv

“I was surprised, as always, that how easy the act of leaving was, and how good it felt. The world was suddenly rich with possibility.”
---Jack Kerouac, On the Road

The above quote tells my feelings about the experience of volunteering at Food Distribution Center, The Jaffa Institute, Tel Aviv at the year-end of 2016. Thanks to GoEco for making this easy for me. Before leaving for my first volunteer project abroad, I was physically well prepared for the Social Food Program with very detailed guidance from their operation manager and mentally expecting the unexpected. The orientation provided by local project coordinator upon my arrival further confirmed that I just made the right choice and everything had been well-arranged, except for those “surprises”. Yes, the world was suddenly rich with possibility! We joined the staff at the center, who are so nice and pleasant. We worked with a wide variety of volunteers from around the world, like kids, career women and football players. We rolled up our sleeves and packed food together with passion and love. We visited dozens of families and delivered food to people in need, with belief that it would bring so much joy to them. We made great friends with people from different walks of life and had memories that we would cherish forever.

Besides the project, my wonderful experience in Israel made this adventure even perfect! There are lots of things to share, such as shawarma, falafel, the Old Jaffa, the beautiful Alma Beach, Masada sunrise and numerous churches. It’s hard to say goodbye but I know I will be “on the road” very soon, returning to do more projects with GoEco and go on with another adventure.