Nicaragua: Intro to Pre-Med & Public Health
Global Works - Travel with Purpose Header Image Global Works - Travel with Purpose Header Image

Nicaragua: Intro to Pre-Med & Public Health

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Adventure like no other

Throughout my journey to Nicaragua with Global works, there was never a moment that we weren't being challenged and inspired. There were an endless amount of once-in-a-lifetime adventures that made this trip truly unforgettable.
Our first destination was at a quiet hostel on Laguna de Apoyo in Managua. As the group and I were released from our morning activities and ventured into the warm, blue lake, we pretty much immediately became friends. Together we smiled and splashed in amazement of the natural beauty in Nicaragua. The worry-free atmosphere surrounded us and kept the group close for the duration of the trip.
I quickly fell in love with Nicaragua. Passing through small local towns, ordering delicious Mangos at street stands, arriving at another resort on the beach that had the most astounding view of the endless horizon I had ever seen- every moment was filled with happiness. But the best part of Nicaragua was the people.
Nicaragua is home to the most cheerful and amiable people I have ever met. When we first arrived at the clinics in Matagalpa, the local children loved to smile at everything. There were times when we would be doing our community service around the clinic and the children would ask to help just to be around us and laugh. Even the adults in the community tried to make small talk while we were in the doctor’s office waiting for the doctor to write a prescription. Everyone made us feel like family.
Saying goodbye to Nicaragua was one of the saddest moments of the whole trip, but I came home from this Global Works trip with a new understanding and sensitivity to the issues facing Nicaragua and its neighbors today. I had a sense of confidence in my ability to adapt to new environments. And I felt more inspired to promote cultural appreciation and social change back in my U.S. community. This trip was truly such an amazing experience and I would definitely do something like it again in a heartbeat.

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

For those who want adventure

This is what Global Works categorizes on their website as a "Summer Service Adventure." And every part of this title is accurate. This 17 day Premed/Public Health trip occurs during summer in Nicaragua. Don't forget to pack sunscreen and bug spray. It involves meaningful community service. You might shadow local physicians in clinics, help renovate a water tank in a rural village, and build a playground for children at a school. It involves being adventurous. Shop at a market. Stay with a local family. Go zip-lining over the rainforest. Put all of these elements together and you have an experience to remember. I traveled six weeks ago, and since then I have felt a fresh cultural awareness, an increased confidence in my abilities, and a desire to emulate the strength and goodwill of the people I encountered. As far as regrets about the trip? My host mom's handmade tortillas were so good that I now criticize the ones I'm forced to buy in the U.S. A valuable experience for any adventurous high school student.
(P.S. You do not need premed experience or Spanish skills to go on this trip. If it sounds great to you, and you're willing to learn, go ahead. Happy traveling!)