Galapagos Island: Marine Service & Adventure
Global Works - Travel with Purpose Header Image Global Works - Travel with Purpose Header Image

Galapagos Island: Marine Service & Adventure

My Trip to the Galapagos Islands

Going on a trip to another country without my family was something I had never done before this trip with Global Works and I am so thankful I did. This trip was one of the most amazing and memorable experiences I have ever had, and I tried so many new things. I snorkeled for the first time, and swam with so many really cool sea creatures, including sharks, which had previously been a fear of mine. I had thought I would miss my family, but my trip leaders, Jason and Katie, were awesome and so much fun. While on the Galapagos Islands, I was a boat, bus, and plane ride away from home, but my trip leaders and the island guides not only made me feel safe, but were a great support system throughout the trip. My time on this trip was spent making a ton of new friends from all over the United States, many of whom I'm still in touch with now. There was never a boring moment on the trip, and we had incredible activities planned everyday, most of which I wouldn't be able to do anywhere else in the world. We wrote about them and posted online each day (with photos) so our families could see all the fun we were having. The first day we went to Papallacta's natural hot springs, which was very relaxing, and later on, we hiked up the Sierra Negra volcano - which made for some incredible photos. While the trip was full of expeditions and trips all over the islands, we also did volunteer work on the island of Isabela to help the local community and the tortoises. Our group stayed and worked at Campo Duro , where there was a huge field in between all of the tents we stayed in. When we weren't working, we played cards and spent time around a fire just relaxing and having fun. (Tip: remember to pack cards and small, fun games.) While all of this was incredibly fun, my most memorable experience was our last day of snorkeling. After getting wetsuits and snorkeling gear, we took a boat ride to go to our final activity. We jumped off the boat and began swimming around to spot the many different animals. In the end, our group saw a sea horse, stingrays, sharks, a penguin, fish that seemed to be neon, and many, many sea turtles. These animals swam right past me and some even right next to me. They were unaffected by our presence, and I had never seen anything like it. The weather was perfect the entire 10 days I spent there. On the trip, I was finally able to put to use my years of Spanish classes. We spoke Spanish often - with our trip leaders and guides, people in the communities we worked and stayed with, shopkeepers in Quito, and with each other. My school Spanish was actually pretty good - and at times a bit embarrassing, but it just added to the laughter! I am so grateful to have had this opportunity to experience Ecuador's culture and highly recommend the Galapagos Island trip with Global Works.

• Satisfaction

Galápagos culture and wildlife immersion

The Galápagos Marine Service Adventure was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. This was my first time out of the country, and I felt safe, excited, and welcomed by counselors and fellow travelers. Every summer I go to one or more summer camps, but this one was like none of the summer camps I have ever been a part of. The landscapes were breathtaking, the housing was rustic and beautiful, the people were so friendly, the wildlife was very unique, and our counselors brought important topics up for discussion every evening. As a group, we discussed privilege, adversity, diversity, and how to positively impact our communities with the lessons we learned from nature and other experiences in the Galápagos. One thing I learned was to be grateful for my many privileges and to use those privileges to better my community and help others. I was also reminded that community service is not for hours or potential scholarships, but an act of kindness that should teach the volunteer a lesson and give them a sense of community.

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Galapagos adventure

Two of our children have been on this trip (one 3 years ago and one summer of 2017) and both loved it! They are very different individuals and the fact that both of them came home so excited is a huge endorsement to the trip leaders and experiences they gained! Kudos to Global Works!

Trip of a lifetime

I've done a fair bit of traveling with my family, and while those experiences were enjoyable, this program was the most memorable trip I've ever taken. From the trip leaders- who were supportive, relaxed, and pretty good with dealing with twenty teenagers- to the activities we did, the entire program was incredible. I met wonderful people just like me from all around the country (and abroad!) who I made lasting friendships and memories with. The trip was a perfect balance of education, service, and fun- from the incredible snorkeling to building a community garden. My only regret about this trip was not taking another sooner!