Peace Corps for Teens
Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

Peace Corps for Teens

My trip to Spain changed my life

I, like many of the boys on the trip, was forced by my parents to go to Spain for two weeks of my July. By the end of the trip, I felt more connected with the other students than I currently feel with my closest friends at high school. I felt like every day I learned something new about the people I met. One of my favorite parts of the trip was spending time with the local children. The hours at the school flew by like minutes. My favorite memory from the school was playing soccer in the rain. Although some of us could barely speak Spanish, soccer was a universal language that connected us to the kids. In addition to visiting the school, we spent lots of time experiencing the culture of Valencia. My experience in Valencia completely changed my life and how I view the world. Even if you are just thinking about it, I would highly recommend going!

14 days of pure joy in Tanzania, Africa

This past summer, I traveled 7,515 miles from New Jersey, USA to Tanzania, Africa, all thanks to Global Leadership Adventures (GLA). Truthfully, words could never even adequately describe the experience I had. Before leaving, of course I was nervous, and also skeptical of all of the GLA Alumni I had seen raving, saying things such as "experience of a lifetime" or "life changing". Boy, was I off! It definitely is the type of thing that you have to experience for yourself to truly understand. However, I hope that in seeing my love and passion for the program, along with thousands of other teens from all around the world, that you too will be inspired to give it a go!
On the Tanzania 14 day program, you get to teach at a primary school for one week, complete 30 hours of service (doing some type of refurbishment on the school), spend a day with a host family, explore local markets, villages and communities, spend time at an orphanage, hike the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro and even swim in it, tour a coffee farm, dance with locals, create traditional African art, embark on a two day safari trip (ABSOLUTELY AMAZING), try new and exotic yummy food, and SO MUCH MORE! Additionally, you make real, deep, meaningful connections with like-minded teenagers who will absolutely, positively be some life long friends of yours! Most importantly though, you learn about yourself! Whoever you are and wherever you came from, you are guaranteed to be enlightened, awakened and have an entirely new perspective on the world at large once your time is up! (My advice would be to even go for the 21 day program- 14 days are enough, but they fly!) Take a chance, take a risk and go for it! You will NOT regret it! There is no price tag that can be put on this experience.

Loved my experience with Global Leadership Adventures

I went on the 2017 Children of the Maya trip to Guatemala where I learned not only about the culture, but what I wanted to do in the future. The service work we did their actually left on impact on the children with being provided a much needed new classroom. I would go back in a heartbeat with the amazing friends and memories I have made! I would totally recommend going on one of GLA's trips, I had the best time!

An awesome experience I recommend to everyone

Over the past summer, I went on this program and I was pretty nervous to travel alone and not know anybody. Little did I know that I was going to have the time of my life! This program helped me meet people that I can call my long lost bestfriends! I developed relationships with people who amazed me everyday with their kindness and generosity! I developed myself as a person through many different aspects. First, this trip helped grow my love for community work and missionaries. It makes me feel better about myself when I am helping others and this program was all about that. Second, I went out of my comfort zone and was able to have a fun time without having to worry! There is so much more I could include but I reccomend that everyone goes on a trip with Global Leadership Adventures and sees for themselves. The staff who accompanied me on this trip was awesome. I couldn't of asked for better people to lead my way to bettering myself as a human and bettering the people of Belize. The housing of this trip was awesome and the beds were comfy. The food was out of this world! I’m currently missing the abnormously large amount of plantains that would be accessible to us at all moments. This program has influenced me to want to be more involved with my community at home and the world around me! I will be going on another missions trip just because of how awesome this one was. My favorite memory about this trip was working with the kids. I worked with the younger age group and they were all so adorable and excited to learn. What I really took out of this experience is the fact that kids in Belize wanted to learn so bad while people at my home complain about going to school everyday. The kids in Belize would show up to the school we taught at running up to the friends I made and I hugging us! They would say thank you as much as possible just because we taught them the alphabet or some numbers. This really amazed me and made me realize that I need to be more grateful about how lucky I am to be able to go to school everyday. I recommend that everyone who can goes on this trip and makes a memory close to this one. A memory that can change their outlook on life and make an extraordinary impact just like Belize; The Iniative for Children did for me :)

Parents perspective on GLA

Leading up to my daughter's departure, GLA was extremely supportive and helpful. I loved that you could book your own flights (as opposed to being forced to go to JFK or Ontario first) because I'm in a mileage program. Even then, they helped me book the flight that worked the best. During the trip, I waited each and every day to look at the program blog. It was so wonderful seeing my daughter step out of her comfort zone with a smile on her face. Right when she came back home she immediately told me about the millions of plans she had to return to South Africa or go on another GLA trip. I'm happy to say I'm planning to let her go on one again :) !

My daughter’s life-changing trip

This past summer my daughter Ava travelled to Belize for two weeks with Global Leadership Adventures. At first I was a bit hesitant to let her go on the trip, but I had never seen her so impassioned by a cause. Also, after extensive research on several websites, I found out GLA has few to no bad reviews and about a million amazing ones. The assurance from other parents about the trip’s safety and impact on their child’s life are what finally convinced me to let her go. And it was so worth it!! Ava had THE time of her life and found a new sense of purpose as well as many new friends. The in-country staff was always there if I ever needed to place a call in case of emergency but if I had questions I’d just email GLA and they got back to me quickly. My personal favorite part of this organization are the blogs that the students post online every few days. They gave me a great idea of what Ava was doing each day and I loved the pictures attached! Couldn’t recommend this organization more!!

An eye-opening experience

My trip to South Africa has been the most pivotal moment of my life thus far. Especially within this specific program, you tackle issues that most other travel organizations do not. I was able to work directly with a small business owner, and the whole GLA group was able to help foster entrepreneurship in a country with about a 25% unemployment rate. South Africa is a beautiful country, with stunning views (and penguins! and ostriches!) and vibrant cities. If many are hesitant to travel afar, South Africa is a great choice. Everyone is welcoming and helpful (and speaks English). When I left, I cried my eyes out. I plan on returning as soon as possible, and hopefully studying there during University.

Global Leadership Adventures Belize: The initiative for children

This past summer I participated in Global Leadership Adventures Belize: The Initiative for Children. I had THE most amazing and life-changing experience of my life. The staff is amazing and very well-qualified/equipped to deal with any situation or emergency (should one even arise at all). The best part about this experience is that it is a totally authentic and service-oriented approach to exploring new cultures. On my particular trip we went to a poetry night a few villages over from home base, snorkeled around Tobacco Caye, and explored ancient Maya ruins.These direct and genuine interactions with Belizean culture are what sets GLA apart. Further, the service we participated in is beneficial to all involved. We got to teach the local youth English, paint their playground, and encourage them to reach their full potential. Even more, though, the service we completed changed our lives equally, if not more so, by opening our eyes to poverty, the privilege of public education, and social justice.

Dominican Republic global health initiative

This trip left me totally inspired and motivated. I have a new love for Dominican and the people there, it is just gorgeous. We spent a lot of time in the communities setting up pop-up clinics, and helping with the construction of labs and clinics. It sparked my interest in nursing and I was able to learn a lot from shadowing the doctors there and taking notes.
What I liked was that it was away from all the tourism, you got to see more of the raw, real Dominican. I have a friend that went on vacation to Dominican, and our trips turned out to be very different. I was happy I got to see the real thing, and learn about the struggles the communities face. It is also interesting to actually be there and not fully relying on different forms of media to tell you what its like. You get to actually be there!
I do wish that I had practised more spanish before the trip. Although I was able to still communicate through motions and pointing, it would be totally different if I could actually speak that language. It was an overall amazing experience.

Absolutely amazing program

My daughter went on a trip with GLA to Spain last summer and loved it. As a parent I was extremely confident that she was both safe and having fun the entire time. Definitely recommend it for anyone that wants their kid to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience but also be safe!

Parent of volunteer

My favorite thing about the GLA experience was the staffs ability to keep me engaged with and aware of my daughters activities. It is very hard to let your child go on such a far trip, but I always felt she was safe. She did get sick while in Guatemala, and I had many lengthy calls with her mentor. They handled the situation perfect. Her overall experience was amazing- I have decided to send her on another GLA trip this summer!

Global Leadership Adventures, Ghana: Building healthy villages

I went with Global Leadership Adventures last summer to Ghana, Africa. I went on the building healthy villages for 14 days. I had an amazing time in Ghana. This was my first international trip and with Global Leadership Adventures. I met the most amazing people from around the world. Those friendships will last a lifetime and we always say we want to go back to Ghana one day. Our community service project is to build a Eco compost Toilet but our group built 3 in 2 weeks. It was a lot of work but it was all worth it to see it to the end. The food, people, housing, and everything else was amazing about Ghana. Ghana was always be my second home. If you want to go on a trip in the summer or spring break. Go with Global Leadership Adventures, you wont regret it at all.

GLA Galapagos 2016

I traveled with GLA to the Galapagos last summer, and it was such an awesome experience. To prove it, I'm returning with the company to Bali this year!! I met a group of like-minded high schoolers, and we all quickly became friends. The mentors and coordinators did a fabulous job of keeping everything safe, organized and FUN - they were always accommodating to whatever we needed. The program is constructed in such a thoughtful, flexible way and we always had something to do, yet we did not feel rushed during our time on the islands. Many prospective families worry about their student traveling alone, and the safety measures taken on the trip. Personally, my trip was from NY to Quito, and I flew with another girl into Miami where we then met with over 10 kids from the US who had the same connecting flight into Ecuador. This was really valuable for bonding and getting to know each other before the program officially started. As for safety, there was not one moment where I felt I was jeopardizing my security. We always had an adult with us when traveling, yet we were given freedom to do our own thing within the boundaries of our mentors. All in all, GLA has everything figured out for you in every aspect from when you set foot off the plane on the first day, up until you board your departure flight. This experience really made my summer exceptional and I'm still in contact with many of my new friends. GLA is impeccable.

Volunteering meets fun!

My Global Leadership Adventures trip was such a phenomenal experience, I'll never forgot the magic of traveling to what felt like a new world. GLA staff is so helpful answering questions before the trip, and the mentors on the trip were all so friendly and some of the coolest adults I know. I loved the way we were given opportunities to interact with the locals, and the volunteer work to fun/free time ratio was perfect! I recommend this trip to all of my friends whenever they mention volunteer opportunities, and genuinely believe you cannot find a better program to travel with.

15 Year old was deeply inspired by her trip

We hesitated at first to send our 15 year old daughter abroad however she wanted to go to the Dominican Republic so badly, we relented and did not regret it. Our daughter is interested in going to Medical School and additionally loves Social Sciences. She was particularly inspired by her Human Geography class her Freshman year. She spent 2 weeks working long volunteer hours in the Dominican Republic for a Global Health Initiative. GLA partnered with 2 other NGO's to carry our their volunteer work in the community. The kids built houses and helped set up and run mobile health clinics. They taught kids how to brush their teeth and took blood pressures. The trip was so impactful our daughter would like to pursue some type of career in Public Health. She is deeply inspired to go back to the Dominican Republic and mentioned in a post service reflection essay that it was one of the most "rawest experiences" of her life. This year she is raising money through corporate sponsorships to go back for a longer period of time. We hope she makes her fundraising goal!

An amazing experience

Going to the Dominican Republic with GLA was such an amazing experience. The staff was really friendly and pushed me out side of my comfort zone. Going to the different communities was a lot of fun and I really learned a lot of Dominican culture and the issues people face in the Dominican Republic.

• Personal Development

Truly the experience of a lifetime

I travelled to Valencia, Spain with Global Leadership Adventures this past summer, and I'm so glad I made that decision. GLA's Spain program was everything I expected and more. I grew to know and love thirty amazing kids from a local school in Valencia, and I got to see my change-making potential while teaching them English. We gave the kids a window into our home culture and at the same time got to see Spanish culture through working with them. Overall it was an amazing trip, and I definitely suggest it for first-time travellers and experienced travellers alike. It's a bit on the costly side, but considering all that the trip encompassed (also especially that it's one of GLA's longer programs), it's definitely worth it!!

14-day program global health initiative

My trip to the Dominican Republic with Global Leadership Adventures was simply spectacular. I signed up thinking I would go there and learn one thing, but when I got there I learned about things I never even knew were problems around the world. I want to begin by talking about the Dominican culture. Everything is more relaxed than in the United States and the people are more easy going with a strong sense of community. Even though in the beginning no one knew how building houses and playgrounds affected global health, we all left there feeling as if we truly had impacted the way of life of a Dominican. While there, everyone that came on the trip instantly bonded and become friends. On this trip I made friends that I hope to someday meet up with again and discuss the impact that this trip left on our lives. You also become very close with your mentors who teach you so much about global health, leadership, Spanish, and so much more. The mentors are awesome and I'm so glad they were nice enough to share their wisdom with us. This whole trip was extremely exciting and I learned the most amount of information relevant to what I want to do in the future in those 14 days. The experience was so life changing that by day 13 you still have not accepted the fact that you need to go back to a culture so much different than the one you've grown accustomed to in these 2 weeks.

GLA India: Discovering a new world

To generically say that my service trip to India this past summer was amazing is a pathetic attempt to truly capture my feelings about my experience. Never had I had such an experience over the past three weeks: from the emotional lows of being in a hospital after having a stomach illness (it's not as bad as it seems - the staff takes care of you really well) and the sluggishness of the 23 hours on the plane (no joke) to the fulfilling feelings I had every day because of the treks exploring the local cultures and just having fun with the kids. Each day presented a new opportunity for adventure: from creating and organizing what games to play with the children, seeing local temples, or shopping in the Tibetan market of McLeod Ganj, every day was filled with meaning and excitement. The staff are always knowledgeable, funny, and some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

When people ask me how my trip was, I have trouble. How am I supposed to summarize possibly the best three weeks of my life? Not only have I become more aware of global affairs and interests, but this program has deepened my love to learn new things, deepened my love to meet new peoples and cultures, and deepened my understanding about how my actions ultimately affect the world.

From this program I have been able to look at my surrounding circumstances in a new mindset. The most important lesson that I think this program has taught me is this: even in heartbreaking conditions, in the poorest of areas, in the most disadvantaged parts of the world where cell reception is more common than clean, running water and where trash cans are the streets, people still to find genuine happiness through each other. The memories I have of my GLA trip, of the people I met, of the cultures that I encountered: I will have these for the rest of my life. I can say pretty surely that I will come back to India one day, whether it be in two years or in thirty. I know I was hesitant in the beginning to go to a country clear across the world with perfect strangers; call me crazy. But hey, aren't we all a little crazy sometimes? It's taking that leap that will change your life; it certainly changed mine.

Highlight of my summer!!

I went on my first GLA program (Peru Spanish Service Adventure) when I was going into my Freshman year of High School, this previous summer I went on their Guatemala Service Adventure, and this upcoming summer I am going to their India service program. I have traveled abroad alone with other programs, but none can compare to my GLA experiences. GLA works with you to prepare the family and traveler pre-departure, and does not cease to disappoint throughout your program. The consolers I have had were amazing and all served as great mentors in my life, and the service work done has always been eye opening. GLA enables you to experience a new country in a way unlike no other, I highly recommend.

AMAZING TRIP!

Hi all! I am a Global Leadership Adventures Alumni and I had an amazing time in Peru, this past summer! I really recommend GLA! The housing experience was great! GLA Peru rented out a hotel in Cusco, for both the 2 week and the 3 week groups. I felt very safe there! I had never been to Peru, so I felt that by being there I grew, a lot! I understood much of their culture and what their lifestyles are like. The program staff were very supportive! I felt that I was able to talk to them about whatever I needed, or if I was frustrated with other students! Overall I recommend GLA to all High School age students.

Life Changing Experience-Thailand and Ghana

I can truly say that my life changed for the better upon going on 2 programs with Global Leadership Adventures. My first program was the Cultural Kaleidoscope Thailand trip. My second was the Ghana Children of Africa program. They were amazing experiences. In Thailand I learned so much about the culture and went on so many adventures while I volunteered. It was the perfect trip for me and I would love to go back. I loved Global Leadership Adventures so much that I decided to go back the following year, yet this time to Ghana. In Ghana, I worked primarily with the children and it was absolutely fantastic. Seeing their smiling faces everyday was worth the hard work. I made so many friends, who I still keep in touch with, on both programs. I would go back to either program in a heartbeat and I highly recommend to anyone who is interested to go on one of their trips. It's worth every penny and you won't regret it.

A Wonderful Experience in Mainland China.

Over the previous summer, I went on the GLA China flagship program, and spent a month in China. The program was expertly run. When unexpected events happened, our leaders got on top of it fixed the problems, they really went out of their way to get to know us and helped any one with problems. Food was always good, and the community service was rewarding. No complaints, program was phenomenal.

Protecting the Pacific

Although my review comes many months after my program, I can honestly look back on it as one of the best experiences of my life. The friends that I have made, the places that I remember, the people that I now know, and who know me. I went on a surfboard, I saw dolphins and a reef shark. But what's more important than anything, is the amount of people that I met with passions and dreams and ideas that are going to make a difference. I had so much fun at Global Leadership Adventures, but passion and the memories that I had are definitely what I am going to take away.

GLA Bali Land of Discovery

This past summer I was privileged enough to participate in GLA’s Bali Community service program through immersion in the Balinese culture while teaching local grammar school students English. GLA Bali was truly an unforgettable experience as it opened up my perspective to a culture so different than my own and allowed me to take an introspective journey on my own character. Along the way our group became a family, valuing the Balinese saying that “time is relationships” rather than the popular American phrase “time is money.” This saying “time is relationships” is so beautiful in its Balinese context that each individual is important and the relationships you create should be treated with respect, care, and love. My GLA mentors and peers indisputably embodied this phrase in that our relationships with each other and the community we impacted were lasting and meaningful in Bali and in the context of our hometowns. At home I carry the same enthusiasm the Balinese children always brought to the classroom where they were eager to learn English vocab about sports to animals. At home, I stay open-minded and curious like Bali’s rich and unique culture taught me to when I attempted the traditional dance or playing the gamelan. However I long for the same sense of adventure Bali’s unknown wonders gave me while riding elephants, scuba diving, or whitewater rafting. My GLA Bali trip was truly transformative because I brought a piece of their culture home as a part of me and the family that I made with my new friends. I will surely visit Bali again as I can truly call the culture, the community, and GLA my second home.