Peace Corps for Teens
Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

Peace Corps for Teens

Parents perspective on GLA

Leading up to my daughter's departure, GLA was extremely supportive and helpful. I loved that you could book your own flights (as opposed to being forced to go to JFK or Ontario first) because I'm in a mileage program. Even then, they helped me book the flight that worked the best. During the trip, I waited each and every day to look at the program blog. It was so wonderful seeing my daughter step out of her comfort zone with a smile on her face. Right when she came back home she immediately told me about the millions of plans she had to return to South Africa or go on another GLA trip. I'm happy to say I'm planning to let her go on one again :) !

My daughter’s life-changing trip

This past summer my daughter Ava travelled to Belize for two weeks with Global Leadership Adventures. At first I was a bit hesitant to let her go on the trip, but I had never seen her so impassioned by a cause. Also, after extensive research on several websites, I found out GLA has few to no bad reviews and about a million amazing ones. The assurance from other parents about the trip’s safety and impact on their child’s life are what finally convinced me to let her go. And it was so worth it!! Ava had THE time of her life and found a new sense of purpose as well as many new friends. The in-country staff was always there if I ever needed to place a call in case of emergency but if I had questions I’d just email GLA and they got back to me quickly. My personal favorite part of this organization are the blogs that the students post online every few days. They gave me a great idea of what Ava was doing each day and I loved the pictures attached! Couldn’t recommend this organization more!!

An eye-opening experience

My trip to South Africa has been the most pivotal moment of my life thus far. Especially within this specific program, you tackle issues that most other travel organizations do not. I was able to work directly with a small business owner, and the whole GLA group was able to help foster entrepreneurship in a country with about a 25% unemployment rate. South Africa is a beautiful country, with stunning views (and penguins! and ostriches!) and vibrant cities. If many are hesitant to travel afar, South Africa is a great choice. Everyone is welcoming and helpful (and speaks English). When I left, I cried my eyes out. I plan on returning as soon as possible, and hopefully studying there during University.

Global Leadership Adventures Belize: The initiative for children

This past summer I participated in Global Leadership Adventures Belize: The Initiative for Children. I had THE most amazing and life-changing experience of my life. The staff is amazing and very well-qualified/equipped to deal with any situation or emergency (should one even arise at all). The best part about this experience is that it is a totally authentic and service-oriented approach to exploring new cultures. On my particular trip we went to a poetry night a few villages over from home base, snorkeled around Tobacco Caye, and explored ancient Maya ruins.These direct and genuine interactions with Belizean culture are what sets GLA apart. Further, the service we participated in is beneficial to all involved. We got to teach the local youth English, paint their playground, and encourage them to reach their full potential. Even more, though, the service we completed changed our lives equally, if not more so, by opening our eyes to poverty, the privilege of public education, and social justice.

Dominican Republic global health initiative

This trip left me totally inspired and motivated. I have a new love for Dominican and the people there, it is just gorgeous. We spent a lot of time in the communities setting up pop-up clinics, and helping with the construction of labs and clinics. It sparked my interest in nursing and I was able to learn a lot from shadowing the doctors there and taking notes.
What I liked was that it was away from all the tourism, you got to see more of the raw, real Dominican. I have a friend that went on vacation to Dominican, and our trips turned out to be very different. I was happy I got to see the real thing, and learn about the struggles the communities face. It is also interesting to actually be there and not fully relying on different forms of media to tell you what its like. You get to actually be there!
I do wish that I had practised more spanish before the trip. Although I was able to still communicate through motions and pointing, it would be totally different if I could actually speak that language. It was an overall amazing experience.

Absolutely amazing program

My daughter went on a trip with GLA to Spain last summer and loved it. As a parent I was extremely confident that she was both safe and having fun the entire time. Definitely recommend it for anyone that wants their kid to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience but also be safe!

Parent of volunteer

My favorite thing about the GLA experience was the staffs ability to keep me engaged with and aware of my daughters activities. It is very hard to let your child go on such a far trip, but I always felt she was safe. She did get sick while in Guatemala, and I had many lengthy calls with her mentor. They handled the situation perfect. Her overall experience was amazing- I have decided to send her on another GLA trip this summer!

Global Leadership Adventures, Ghana: Building healthy villages

I went with Global Leadership Adventures last summer to Ghana, Africa. I went on the building healthy villages for 14 days. I had an amazing time in Ghana. This was my first international trip and with Global Leadership Adventures. I met the most amazing people from around the world. Those friendships will last a lifetime and we always say we want to go back to Ghana one day. Our community service project is to build a Eco compost Toilet but our group built 3 in 2 weeks. It was a lot of work but it was all worth it to see it to the end. The food, people, housing, and everything else was amazing about Ghana. Ghana was always be my second home. If you want to go on a trip in the summer or spring break. Go with Global Leadership Adventures, you wont regret it at all.

GLA Galapagos 2016

I traveled with GLA to the Galapagos last summer, and it was such an awesome experience. To prove it, I'm returning with the company to Bali this year!! I met a group of like-minded high schoolers, and we all quickly became friends. The mentors and coordinators did a fabulous job of keeping everything safe, organized and FUN - they were always accommodating to whatever we needed. The program is constructed in such a thoughtful, flexible way and we always had something to do, yet we did not feel rushed during our time on the islands. Many prospective families worry about their student traveling alone, and the safety measures taken on the trip. Personally, my trip was from NY to Quito, and I flew with another girl into Miami where we then met with over 10 kids from the US who had the same connecting flight into Ecuador. This was really valuable for bonding and getting to know each other before the program officially started. As for safety, there was not one moment where I felt I was jeopardizing my security. We always had an adult with us when traveling, yet we were given freedom to do our own thing within the boundaries of our mentors. All in all, GLA has everything figured out for you in every aspect from when you set foot off the plane on the first day, up until you board your departure flight. This experience really made my summer exceptional and I'm still in contact with many of my new friends. GLA is impeccable.

Volunteering meets fun!

My Global Leadership Adventures trip was such a phenomenal experience, I'll never forgot the magic of traveling to what felt like a new world. GLA staff is so helpful answering questions before the trip, and the mentors on the trip were all so friendly and some of the coolest adults I know. I loved the way we were given opportunities to interact with the locals, and the volunteer work to fun/free time ratio was perfect! I recommend this trip to all of my friends whenever they mention volunteer opportunities, and genuinely believe you cannot find a better program to travel with.

15 Year old was deeply inspired by her trip

We hesitated at first to send our 15 year old daughter abroad however she wanted to go to the Dominican Republic so badly, we relented and did not regret it. Our daughter is interested in going to Medical School and additionally loves Social Sciences. She was particularly inspired by her Human Geography class her Freshman year. She spent 2 weeks working long volunteer hours in the Dominican Republic for a Global Health Initiative. GLA partnered with 2 other NGO's to carry our their volunteer work in the community. The kids built houses and helped set up and run mobile health clinics. They taught kids how to brush their teeth and took blood pressures. The trip was so impactful our daughter would like to pursue some type of career in Public Health. She is deeply inspired to go back to the Dominican Republic and mentioned in a post service reflection essay that it was one of the most "rawest experiences" of her life. This year she is raising money through corporate sponsorships to go back for a longer period of time. We hope she makes her fundraising goal!

An amazing experience

Going to the Dominican Republic with GLA was such an amazing experience. The staff was really friendly and pushed me out side of my comfort zone. Going to the different communities was a lot of fun and I really learned a lot of Dominican culture and the issues people face in the Dominican Republic.

• Personal Development

Truly the experience of a lifetime

I travelled to Valencia, Spain with Global Leadership Adventures this past summer, and I'm so glad I made that decision. GLA's Spain program was everything I expected and more. I grew to know and love thirty amazing kids from a local school in Valencia, and I got to see my change-making potential while teaching them English. We gave the kids a window into our home culture and at the same time got to see Spanish culture through working with them. Overall it was an amazing trip, and I definitely suggest it for first-time travellers and experienced travellers alike. It's a bit on the costly side, but considering all that the trip encompassed (also especially that it's one of GLA's longer programs), it's definitely worth it!!

14-day program global health initiative

My trip to the Dominican Republic with Global Leadership Adventures was simply spectacular. I signed up thinking I would go there and learn one thing, but when I got there I learned about things I never even knew were problems around the world. I want to begin by talking about the Dominican culture. Everything is more relaxed than in the United States and the people are more easy going with a strong sense of community. Even though in the beginning no one knew how building houses and playgrounds affected global health, we all left there feeling as if we truly had impacted the way of life of a Dominican. While there, everyone that came on the trip instantly bonded and become friends. On this trip I made friends that I hope to someday meet up with again and discuss the impact that this trip left on our lives. You also become very close with your mentors who teach you so much about global health, leadership, Spanish, and so much more. The mentors are awesome and I'm so glad they were nice enough to share their wisdom with us. This whole trip was extremely exciting and I learned the most amount of information relevant to what I want to do in the future in those 14 days. The experience was so life changing that by day 13 you still have not accepted the fact that you need to go back to a culture so much different than the one you've grown accustomed to in these 2 weeks.

GLA India: Discovering a new world

To generically say that my service trip to India this past summer was amazing is a pathetic attempt to truly capture my feelings about my experience. Never had I had such an experience over the past three weeks: from the emotional lows of being in a hospital after having a stomach illness (it's not as bad as it seems - the staff takes care of you really well) and the sluggishness of the 23 hours on the plane (no joke) to the fulfilling feelings I had every day because of the treks exploring the local cultures and just having fun with the kids. Each day presented a new opportunity for adventure: from creating and organizing what games to play with the children, seeing local temples, or shopping in the Tibetan market of McLeod Ganj, every day was filled with meaning and excitement. The staff are always knowledgeable, funny, and some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

When people ask me how my trip was, I have trouble. How am I supposed to summarize possibly the best three weeks of my life? Not only have I become more aware of global affairs and interests, but this program has deepened my love to learn new things, deepened my love to meet new peoples and cultures, and deepened my understanding about how my actions ultimately affect the world.

From this program I have been able to look at my surrounding circumstances in a new mindset. The most important lesson that I think this program has taught me is this: even in heartbreaking conditions, in the poorest of areas, in the most disadvantaged parts of the world where cell reception is more common than clean, running water and where trash cans are the streets, people still to find genuine happiness through each other. The memories I have of my GLA trip, of the people I met, of the cultures that I encountered: I will have these for the rest of my life. I can say pretty surely that I will come back to India one day, whether it be in two years or in thirty. I know I was hesitant in the beginning to go to a country clear across the world with perfect strangers; call me crazy. But hey, aren't we all a little crazy sometimes? It's taking that leap that will change your life; it certainly changed mine.

Highlight of my summer!!

I went on my first GLA program (Peru Spanish Service Adventure) when I was going into my Freshman year of High School, this previous summer I went on their Guatemala Service Adventure, and this upcoming summer I am going to their India service program. I have traveled abroad alone with other programs, but none can compare to my GLA experiences. GLA works with you to prepare the family and traveler pre-departure, and does not cease to disappoint throughout your program. The consolers I have had were amazing and all served as great mentors in my life, and the service work done has always been eye opening. GLA enables you to experience a new country in a way unlike no other, I highly recommend.

AMAZING TRIP!

Hi all! I am a Global Leadership Adventures Alumni and I had an amazing time in Peru, this past summer! I really recommend GLA! The housing experience was great! GLA Peru rented out a hotel in Cusco, for both the 2 week and the 3 week groups. I felt very safe there! I had never been to Peru, so I felt that by being there I grew, a lot! I understood much of their culture and what their lifestyles are like. The program staff were very supportive! I felt that I was able to talk to them about whatever I needed, or if I was frustrated with other students! Overall I recommend GLA to all High School age students.

Life Changing Experience-Thailand and Ghana

I can truly say that my life changed for the better upon going on 2 programs with Global Leadership Adventures. My first program was the Cultural Kaleidoscope Thailand trip. My second was the Ghana Children of Africa program. They were amazing experiences. In Thailand I learned so much about the culture and went on so many adventures while I volunteered. It was the perfect trip for me and I would love to go back. I loved Global Leadership Adventures so much that I decided to go back the following year, yet this time to Ghana. In Ghana, I worked primarily with the children and it was absolutely fantastic. Seeing their smiling faces everyday was worth the hard work. I made so many friends, who I still keep in touch with, on both programs. I would go back to either program in a heartbeat and I highly recommend to anyone who is interested to go on one of their trips. It's worth every penny and you won't regret it.

Protecting the Pacific

Although my review comes many months after my program, I can honestly look back on it as one of the best experiences of my life. The friends that I have made, the places that I remember, the people that I now know, and who know me. I went on a surfboard, I saw dolphins and a reef shark. But what's more important than anything, is the amount of people that I met with passions and dreams and ideas that are going to make a difference. I had so much fun at Global Leadership Adventures, but passion and the memories that I had are definitely what I am going to take away.

GLA Bali Land of Discovery

This past summer I was privileged enough to participate in GLA’s Bali Community service program through immersion in the Balinese culture while teaching local grammar school students English. GLA Bali was truly an unforgettable experience as it opened up my perspective to a culture so different than my own and allowed me to take an introspective journey on my own character. Along the way our group became a family, valuing the Balinese saying that “time is relationships” rather than the popular American phrase “time is money.” This saying “time is relationships” is so beautiful in its Balinese context that each individual is important and the relationships you create should be treated with respect, care, and love. My GLA mentors and peers indisputably embodied this phrase in that our relationships with each other and the community we impacted were lasting and meaningful in Bali and in the context of our hometowns. At home I carry the same enthusiasm the Balinese children always brought to the classroom where they were eager to learn English vocab about sports to animals. At home, I stay open-minded and curious like Bali’s rich and unique culture taught me to when I attempted the traditional dance or playing the gamelan. However I long for the same sense of adventure Bali’s unknown wonders gave me while riding elephants, scuba diving, or whitewater rafting. My GLA Bali trip was truly transformative because I brought a piece of their culture home as a part of me and the family that I made with my new friends. I will surely visit Bali again as I can truly call the culture, the community, and GLA my second home.

My Change

I am a typical Chinese girl. I said " typical" because i think a typical Chinese high school student is a student who has a lot of homework and pressure everyday and rarely go outside to see the world. I feel bored about this life, especially when i decide to study abroad and know how American students live in my age. Then i decide to see the world and practice my spoken English through GLA. I was at first very nervous because this was my first time to travel to another country alone, speaking a different language(China is not an English speaking country). I was even afraid that I can't understand people talking. However, the students and teachers are so nice and patient. Actually I am very shy. Sometimes i just sat aside listening and saying nothing. But they always wanted me to join their conversation. They may ask me "what is this like in China?" or "What's your opinion?" I felt warm. And Ghanaian people are very friendly. They greet everyone, whoever you are. We built a compost toilet, which can help about 30 people there. I was surprised by our efficiency: we used less than two weeks to build the toilet. when i knew that this toilet is the 40th toilet Dougle, our teacher who has been in Ghana for 7 years, made. I really admire him for his kindness. We also met an old grandmother who set up a school there. I was moved that so many people are helping people and doing charity in the world. They are so near me, inspiring me. That was the first time I felt i want to help someone so badly. I thank GLA so much to let me make my first white and black friends and let me go out of China alone. I hope I can go to more places and help more people.

Costa Rica - Protecting the Pacific

For this past summer, i went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks to do the GLA program "Protecting the Pacific". At first, I was extremely nervous since it was the first time I was travelling to a different country alone and that i would be with people i never met before. However now, i can say that i should have been scared of nothing since the experience was the best thing i ever had in my life. I knew that I would have a good time but i never expected falling in love with the country and being passionate of certain things. The people I have met and the accommodations have all been quite lovely and in the end, the whole group seemed like another family to me. Not to mention, the country is extremely beautiful with it's exotic wildlife and pristine beaches. Everyday was a new experience and activity that was not only fun but usually helped the community which makes it even more amazing in my opinion. We did things like paint the school walls, cleaned up beaches and whatnot. Also not to mention, activities like surfing, zip-lining and playing soccer with the local community. Cheesy as it seems, the whole trip changed my perspective on life and what I want to do in the future and I would go back if I could. I highly recommend this program for others to take it because not only do you travel to a different country but you also get to meet some of the best people ever and be immersed by a whole new culture. It's incredible.

Bali- The Land of Discovery

This past summer I traveled to Bali, Indonesia, and I can easily say this was the best experience I have ever had. I was honestly a bit nervous to travel halfway around the world and spend the next 3 weeks with a bunch of random high school students. I did not know who they were, what they would be like, or if they would even like me. But I am so glad I took the chance. Part of the reason I chose Bali was for a different cultural experience and to volunteer with young children. I became so emerged in the Balinese lifestyle and culture that by the time I went home to the U.S. saying "da da" instead of goodbye. The people that I met on my trip were incredible, and I am still in contact with the majority of the group. I have met some of my life-long best friends and I know we will meet up in the future. Everyday we did something adventurous; ranging from scuba diving, sunset boat ride, swimming at black sand beaches, surfing, going to an elephant safari park, white water rafting, karaoke, to visiting temples that have such significant cultural ties to the Balinese. We even participated in making offerings, praying, learning a traditional dance, wood-carving, and to play the gamelan. Everyday I think about my experience and how it has influenced my values and morals. Yeah it probably sounds cheesy saying that I came back "a whole new person", but my perspective and outlook on life has really changed ever since I returned home to the States. My favorite part was seeing the smile on the Balinese children's faces. Volunteering at a local English camp was extremely fun and the kids enjoyed our presence. We were put into groups of 4 or 5 and rotated between art, classroom, and games. I have never met children so eager and enthusiastic to learn. I don't think I could thank my GLA staff in Bali enough for the wonderful experience that they gave me. They taught me more than I ever expected to learn about myself and what is really important in life. The most important lesson was time is relationship. I hope one day I can return to Bali and be reunited with my Balinese family #YOBO (You only Bali once)!!!

Building A Sustainable World- Dominican Republic

In the beginning, when I signed up for a GLA trip, I only wanted to volunteer abroad to travel and get in some community service hours. However, the trip changed my life forever. In one of the communities we were working in, many of the children tried to help us shovel and sift sand to cement their floors. We all played with the little kids, but there was one little girl in particular who I became friends with. She was named Maddie and was around 6 years old. At some point, she pulled me aside and began to do my hair, asking her mother if she could use their hair-ties and hair brush in my hair, which her mom hesitantly complied to. Once she was finished, and we were about to leave the community for that day, I asked her if she wanted her hair tie back, but she said no and kept giving it back to me. Although this seems like just a kind gesture to some, to me it meant the world. Maddie was a little girl who had so little, and yet was so kind and generous. In this moment, I felt the need to forever give back to her and others people in similar situations. Meeting Maddie and other Dominicans was a humbling experience. I learned so much from them, along with my amazing GLA counselors who often shared stories and knowledge from their past service trips with organizations like the Peace Corps.. In 3 weeks I made life-long friends who made me laugh everyday while at the beach, hiking, cliff jumping, or just playing cards. My experience in the Dominican Republic changed what I want to study in college to International Development with a concentration in Latin America, and it changed what I want to do in the future. It was truly an unforgettable experience that I am forever grateful for.

Ghana- the story of my life-changing experience

Ever since I was 8 years old I have had this dream of moving to Ghana in order to start an organization of my own to help improve overall living conditions. Staying in Ghana made my dreams feel possible to achieve. I would never grow tired of life there. The people are so loving, the food is delicious, the views are breathtaking and the children have the biggest smiles. My volunteer group included three boys and two girls, which is a very small group for GLA considering most groups consist of 15-30 kids. Having only 4 other people in my group made me enter the experience a little nervous because I am typically a shy person. However to my surprise I broke out of my shell in the first day! My group members were hilarious and always had me laughing, Kendall and Dougall were great leaders who always were making sure we were having a good time, and the staff on site were the best people I have ever met. The GLA staff as a whole were so happy and energetic. They were so amazing words can not describe them. Not only were the local staff welcoming, the community as a whole was so loving. Children run up to you, give you hugs, high fives and always want to play with you. The elders in the town share their knowledge with you about the customs which educates you about how they live and their traditions. The town is gorgeous and Meet Me There, the lodge you stay at, is right on the beach so the view is amazing and the lagoon where we can swim after work is so refreshing.I honestly can't put my experience into words as much as I try. I can go on and on about how wonderful it was but it is something that has to be done first hand. My advice to you is to try it, you will love it, there is no doubt in my mind you will not love Ghana.