GLA Thailand: The Elephant Village Initiative™ (for Teens)
Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

GLA Thailand: The Elephant Village Initiative™ (for Teens)

Friends of the asian elephant

Learning about the conflicts that surround the elephants in Thailand was very hard and an eye opening experience, but during my time with global leadership adventures we discussed the issue and developed an awareness about their condition. at Thai elephant home we had our home base, the accommodations there were great, and the food was amazing! the community service was centered around the elephants and the work a mahout does in Thai elephant home. we cut grass for the elephants, and built dams to help with the heavy rain season and flooding, as well as cleaned their sleeping are, feeding them and bathe them every day. the mentors made the experience fun and kept everything running like clockwork. as well as doing community service we had a lot of cool activities, we went on a tour of the jungle with the elephants, visited an interactive 3d museum, went rafting, and visited temples. we went to the nursery one day where e got to meet a 6 month old elephant named Sunday and a 1 year old name dumbo, i have a lot of fun during the whole trip but the nursery was definitely one of my favorite days. GLA is a great way to learn while traveling and doing some really cool service work. i would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in animal conservation, or who like animals and want to learn more about elephants in Thailand.

GLA Thailand: The Elephant Village Initiative review

Choosing to go to Thailand with Global Leadership Adventures was the best decision I have ever made. Everyday was a new adventure; we would do anything from teach at a high school, to bathe elephants in the river. I expanded my knowledge and views on elephant conservation, and made life long friends. I have a new outlook on my life, and I couldn't have done it without GLA!

Excellent Summer Experience

Over the summer I spent five weeks abroad through Global Leadership Adventures two of those weeks being in Thailand, and it was absolutely spectacular. After spending weeks decided which program to travel with, I ended up choosing Global Leadership Adventures because I felt as though it provided the opportunity to do the community service that I wanted to do, but also allowed the time to see the sights and landmarks. The Elephants were one of the best parts of the trip, and getting the opportunity to interact with them, and form a bond with one specific elephant was amazing. This was a summer I'll never forget, and I'm so grateful to have had this experience. I would recommend this program to any high school student hoping to do service abroad, and hope to do another trip through GLA again in the future.

Global Leadership Adventures

My daughter went on this trip this past summer. I don't think I stopped hearing about her experiences yet and it's almost November. She made amazing friends that she still contacts today. They are amazing resources as she is planning on visiting some soon. More traveling for her! The interaction with the elephants was incredible. The students fed, washed, rode, and cared for elephants in their facility and various others. When my daughter came home she never failed to remember an elephants name while reciting her entire trip on our way home from the airport. The stories and experiences were a joy to hear. Overall, an amazing experience for her and I recommend for any student looking to pursue a passion.

Global Leadership Adventures: Elephant health and welfare project

My program was a bit different from the Elephant Village Initiative considering it was new this past year (2017), however, it is a program that I highly recommend. What an amazing experience I had in Thailand! Every day we woke up to the trumpeting of elephants outside our door. Within 5 seconds of arriving at the airport, I had already seen 3 others with the same GLA shirt. Not once on this trip did I ever find myself alone, nervous, and scared. It was an amazing environment and I was so excited to meet new friends. My entire experience was absolutely amazing as I was able to interact with elephants first hand. We washed them in the river, rode them through the forest and rewarded them with yummy snacks like bananas, sugarcane, etc. They are such amazing creatures with unique personalities. I feel like each one of us found ourselves looking in the mirror interacting with the different elephants. Girly, funny, moody, enthusiastic, excited, whatever it may be, the elephants displayed so much emotion. You truly get to understand how unique each elephant is. It was an amazing experience!