GLA Thailand: Cultural Kaleidoscope (for Teens)
Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

GLA Thailand: Cultural Kaleidoscope (for Teens)

Gla Thailand

This was the most amazing thing ever! GLA made it so easy to sign up and get registered and they did all the heavy lifting! Everything we did was in the community, interacting with locals and some NGO’s. If you have the chance to go, you have to! It’s definitely a once in a lifetime experience. You’ll also make some of the greatest friends you could ever meet! It truly is a life changing experience.

Cultural kaleidoscope Thailand: Global Leadership adventures

This summer I was lucky enough to spend two weeks in the most amazing country with the most amazing program, Global Leadership Adventures. This program offered so much and gave me the experience of a lifetime to give back and also gain cultural insight on the beautiful Chiang Mai Thailand in Asia. What was unique about my experience was the culture shock. When I had arrived in Thailand I didn't know how to piece my emotions of happiness towards this beautiful country I was lucky enough to be in. For anyone debating on participating in this program I say do it, it gave me the culture bug where all I want to do now is go back, it made the leave so hard because the experience was so amazing. I have absolutely no regrets with this program or this trip. This had a MAJOR impact on my life post-trip, it changed my path. I know now I need to help people, I need to give back. The peace corps was something I had never looked into until now, or even global teaching for english. This trip made me look at life in a new light with a new perspective. My favorite memory on this trip was while I was teaching, I was in the back of the classroom with a student because she was ahead of the class and wanted to learn a little more advanced english. Teaching to a country that does not speak your language was extremely difficult but this student made it easy, her name was Nuan. On the last day tears filled my eyes and this student who I had made a connection with and who had touched my heart came up to me and repeated a long sentence in english, ending in "I will miss you and I love you". Hearing English words you taught come out of the student will be a memory I hold onto forever. Alongside that, every part was honestly my favorite and I genuinely recommend this program to anyone who is interested in making a change that will make yourself be the change.

Parent point of view

My daughter went on the Thailand Cultural Kaleidoscope trip this summer through Global Leadership Adventures. I have never seen her so happy upon her return. When she proposed this trip to me, I was very nervous because she would be in a new country without me or anyone she knew. However, I was reading the description of the trip and saw how much service she would be doing and eventually let her go. We spoke to each other every night and she kept telling me how amazing the trip was and that I shouldn’t worry because of how safe it was. They were very strict and secure at all times so there was nothing to worry about. To any parent skeptical of letting their child go away, you should know that my daughter did not feel unsafe at all on the trip and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. She could not stop talking about her experience when she came back, and people are still telling her how amazing it is that she was able to volunteer abroad!

Parent perspective

When my 15 year old approached me about volunteering abroad, I must say I was apprehensive. The world is changing everyday in so many unpredictable ways. However, I wasn’t raised to fear the world. I was taught to be bold and to work towards my dreams with passion. There’s so much more than the boxes we live in and we only get one chance to make the most of our time here. I can’t just send them out into the world with reckless abandon either....so I researched...ALOT....trying to find a program which I thought would help my teen develop an appreciation for other cultures. One that would help guide, without stifling creativity and would encourage growth and independence. I went through countless reviews by parents and participants of many programs. Global Leadership Adventures seemed to be a perfect. A great balance of service, culture, and adventure. From day 1, a GLA rep was available to answer any questions to help guide us through the process. We were well informed as to what would be required, timelines, deadlines....any and all of the behind the scenes stuff to make this trip a reality. It has provided a solid foundation to encourage growth for a different future. One where boundaries become blurred and opportunities are more than just dreams. There is so much to learn in this world, but many are too afraid to learn. Too afraid to promote change. Changes don’t have to be global. The children, the families, the communities our GLA teens are supporting....it doesn’t take much to inspire 1, who could then inspire 1 more. Before long, that 1, turns into countless numbers of people who have been inspired in different ways to accomplish different things. I am grateful my teen has the desire to want to do more. To help others. To take a chance on the world and believe that it can be better. GLA as been an amazing group for my teen. I hope others will see the importance of stepping outside of the box...outside of their comfort zone, and be the change.

My teen loved this program so much! There was a new found appreciation for the people and the future of Thailand! It also fueled a desire to want to do more, see more, help more, BE more! We are excitedly preparing for next summers 5 week experience!

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Truly the land of smiles

This summer, I went on the 21 day flagship program to Thailand with Global Leadership Adventures, and it was the best experience of my life. I grew so much as a person from group discussions and seeing all different walks of life in another culture. I never once felt unsafe, which was very nice. It was definitely clear that safety was the number one priority. The support we received from our mentors was amazing; they were always there for us to talk about missing family, to being scared of an activity, to personal struggles affecting you on the trip. The mentors really help to make you feel welcomed. We got to see every aspect of Thailand, from the nightlife of the markets to the daily lives of rice paddy farmers. The activities were all so much fun and had something to learn from them. The mentors are always making sure we're aware of what's going on. My favorite part about the trip, besides teaching Thai children, would be the last night of the program when we all laid out on the floor to write our bag notes and stayed up late to finish them after our final dinner. We had all grown so close throughout our 21 days and we just talked about our favorite parts of the trip and it felt like everything came full circle.

Parent perspective

My daughter went to Thailand with Global Leadership Adventures and loved it! We were hesitant to let her travel alone, but she proved to be capable, and the support GLA provided was fantastic. We felt comfortable with her safety and wellbeing, and she came home with new stories and a new excitement about the world!

Best summer ever!!

I loved traveling with Global Leadership Adventures! My service was so rewarding, and I loved working with the kids in Thailand. The country itself is so amazing, and kept me in awe the whole time. I felt safe and secure throughout my trip, and never had a worrying time, even during my travel to and from the country. The trip was life-changing, and I miss waking up in Thailand!

Global Leadership Adventures- Thailand cultural kaleidoscope

I had such an amazing experience through the Global Leadership Adventures' program Thailand Cultural Kaleidoscope! I traveled to Thailand not knowing anyone, yet I felt at home. Each student was so welcoming and eager to make new friends. My favorite part of the two weeks was definitely teaching English to the children. They were so engaged in the lessons and tried to understand, although the language barrier was a challenge. The kids were so thankful that we taught at their school and crying as they said goodbye. I also loved immersing myself in Thai culture visiting many different temples, and also volunteering at an elephant conservation. We also had a Thai cooking lesson. It was so much fun learning about new foods that are different than ones I usually eat. Besides the many different activities, the Global Leadership Adventure mentors were always so nice and helpful. They were always there for us and were willing to talk about anything. This was an unforgettable experience that I would love to repeat hopefully next summer!

The Land of Smiles

Thailand is coined the "The Land of Smiles," and with smiles also came many laughs and tears too. The respect for their culture is one like no other, and the traditions they have in Thailand are upheld by all citizens. They have a devote appreciation for Buddhism and their King and Queen. They dress conseratively, talk kindly, and live a happy and peaceful life.
Growing up on Long Island, NY, I have never been to a country like this. They appreciate everything life has to offer - including animals, especially elephants. Elephants were one of the key points that drew me to the program. I had the opportunity to bathe an elephant, and also ride one. I will never forget the tears that came with this special moment, because I had never seen an elephant in my life; yet they were my favorite animal. Aside from working with elephants, we also taught English and worked at an orphange. I had never imagined teaching first grade English in a foreign country in my life, yet, I had the opporunity to do so for a week. We were able to create special bonds with the children there, and leave making an impact on their English speaking and writing abilities. At the orphange, we painted the housing buildings a new color to make the center look nicer. I did not think though, that I would leave creating a bond with a child that would lead me to still pen-pal him to this day. While I was at the orphange, a little boy came up to me and immediately attached to me when we got there. Wherever I went, he went; wherever I painted, he painted also. It was like he was my little brother, but I knew he viewed me as a father-like figure since he had no parents. We played all the games together, ate the same food together - literally everything I did, he did as well; and I will never forget the moments we shared. Luckily, my friend had a polaroid camera with her, and on the second to last day we were there, we took two pictures and I wrote my name on his picture, and he wrote his name on my picture. When we were leaving on the last day, as the van pulled out of the driveway, he held up his picture of me at the gate. I bawled my eyes out for the next few hours. I still remember that moment so clearly, and I'll never forget it. To know I made an impact on his life, has forever impacted me. Besides doing community service, we also had the opporunity to go ziplining through the rain forest, kayaking, and take trips to local night bazaars. These were just some of the fun activities we did. Global Leadership Adventures, and the Cultural Kalediscope program in Thailand has forever changed my life, and my outlook on life. I'll never forget the three weeks I had spent creating bonds with children there, and creating new friends across the world.

• Program Opportunities

• Personal Development

Thailand Cultural Kaleidoscope

I decided that instead of having a Sweet Sixteen, I wanted to volunteer in Thailand. It was probably one of the best decisions of my life. In Thailand I learned so much about their culture. I learned about the different foods that they ate, their religion and how they prayed, and their history. I learned so much about the country and the Buddhist religion. We had 2 service sites while I was there, which was an orphanage and a home for women. We played with the children at the orphanage and helped prepare the home for the rainy season. Both were rewarding experiences that I will never forget. The element of adventure was definitely prevalent as well. We went zip lining, biking, kayaking, hiking, and we rode elephants. I loved the program and I would recommend this to anyone who is considering it. It's worth every penny and I am more than thankful to have gone on this trip with Global Leadership Adventures.