GLA Tanzania/Kilimanjaro: Heart & Soul of Africa
Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

GLA Tanzania/Kilimanjaro: Heart & Soul of Africa

GLA Tanzania!!

My time in Tanzania with GLA was amazing! Right after signing up for the trip I had access to webinars (informational, interactive online sessions) which really helped me to prepare for this trip. The staff was very helpful in answering my and my parents' questions about this trip, and they also have an online chat on their website which can help too! In Tanzania, the local and international staff was SO friendly and nice and it was so fun getting to know them! They made the trip even more special. The service was very rewarding, hands-on, and interactive with the locals. We did many cultural excursions like Batik painting (I am not good at art but the people there were so helpful), dancing, hiking to the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro, and going on a safari. Each and every activity we did was so fun and I learned so much! I always felt safe in and out of the home base, and the staff took extra precautions to keep us safe, happy, and healthy. The food was so good, but if somebody did not like it the kitchen staff was always willing to prepare something special. I loved every aspect of this trip and really recommend it!!

My daughter's trip

My daughter travelled to Tanzania last summer with Global Leadership Adventures, and it was the most amazing experience of her life. At first, I was very hesitant about letting her go. She had never even left the U.S. before, and now she's asking to go to Tanzania with people she has never met! She made power points explaining all the pros of her going, she texted me details about the program and the organization daily, and eventually we were driving her to the airport, saying goodbye as she left for Tanzania with GLA. Although through all of the convincing, I also wanted to get to know the program better. Whenever I had a question about anything, GLA staff was so helpful and so quick to answer. They welcome and care their students, and one thing my daughter said that made me feel so happy is that they made her feel like family. GLA was the perfect organization for my daughter.

My GLA experience

Over the summer, I traveled with GLA to Tanzania. The trip changed my life, and left so many positive impacts. In Tanzania, we were given the amazing opportunity to teach English at a local primary school in Kilimanjaro, plant trees at the school, and cement classroom floors. However, we also got to learn about the incredible culture when we went to a local coffee farm, a dance ceremony, when we walked around the market and the village, and so much more. We also were SO lucky to have gotten the opportunity to hear Jane Goodall speak, to hike part of Mt. Kilimajaro, and to go on TWO safaris!! The people of Tanzania taught me so many things, but one of the things I will never forget is to always be grateful for what you have and to always make a positive out of a negative, no matter what it is. GLA was the most amazing group to travel with as well. There was not a single moment when I ever felt uncomfortable or scared, and the directors welcomed us with open arms. Our entire group at the end of our trip we considered family. My parents were very nervous to let me travel to a far away country with strangers, but GLA made it so easy for them and reassured them that I was in good hands, and I sure was! I can not thank GLA enough for changning my life.

Bell in Tanzania

My daughter went to Tanzania this past summer. In preparation for the trip, I was impressed with the organization; nothing was overlooked! The trip was well run and left her with a feeling of accomplishment and a desire for helping more. I highly recommend this trip for any teenager since it will increased their awareness of the world while this organization keeps them safe in their pursuit.

Tanzania: Heart & soul review

My GLA experience was absolutely incredible. I was moved beyond and 2 months later I am still impacted to being more productive and active on topics that matter to me. GLA provides an affordable program thats better than what you’re expecting. During the mornings on week days we would teach English to primary school students and then play at recess with them and then do 2 hours of service which included redoing concrete in classrooms and repainting. When we weren’t at the primary school, we were learning all about the culture every day in a different way. whether that was learning about the history/political situation or the native tribes and culture. I am looking forward to doing another volunteer program with Global Leadership adventures. The program has completely changed me as a person for the better

Stubborn to surprised

My daughter begged me to go with Global Leadership Adventures to Tanzania this past summer. I was terrified for her safety to let her go across the world with a bunch of people that I did not know. I spent a lot of time researching both GLA and Tanzania and I was very happy with the results. This by no means meant that I wanted her to go. She is 17 and I know that she is responsible, but I didn't trust the rest of the people in the world. I ended up speaking to a representative from GLA and this was the first time I considered the trip realistically. My daughter is stubborn and gets it from me, so we clash on topics like this sometimes. She would pressure me everyday for months about going on the trip. She has always been into volunteering and has been interested in traveling in the past couple of years. I realized that this was a great opportunity for her, so I researched and then researched some more. I finally agreed to let her go, and I must admit that I'm glad that I did. I got to see her thrive and grow as a person. She came home thankful and she had the most genuine smile on her face in every picture she took there. I hadn't seen that much happiness since she was little. GLA is a great organzation. If your child is pressuring you as much as mine did, this is certainly the organization to trust.

Life changer

Tanzania changed me. Global Leadership Adventures changed me. From the first day of school to the first day of safari, I never stopped smiling. The GLA coordinators make the trip as easy as possible for everyone. They tell you everything you need and are always available when you need them. The local Tanzanians embraced us into their culture seamlessly. They brought us into their homes, danced with us, taught us to paint, and showed us a coffee farm. They welcomed us everyday. They gave me a reason to feel grateful. GLA provided us with amazing food, homebase, and fun! They made all of the kids on the program interact and because of it I gained a new best friend. I recommend GLA more than anything in the world!!!!! join and you will never ever ever regret it!!!!!

Two weeks in Tanzania!

I traveled to Tanzania with Global Leadership Adventures for two weeks in August 2017. I am someone who is very attached to the their friends and family, and couldn't imagine traveling with a group of strangers for two weeks abroad. As my trip neared, I thought I was crazy for signing myself up! But I wouldn't have wanted to go with any other program. Global Leadership Adventures made my trip the most amazing thing I have ever done. I made friends I still talk to and hope to see soon, and I made relationships with Tanzanians that I hope to never lose touch with. This program made me realize how incredible the world around us is, and forced me to put myself out there and engage in this wonderful world. I could not recommend this program enough. The staff and experience made me appreciate life more, and gave me a bad case of the travel bug. I'll be back, Tanzania!!

Most amazing and memorable time in Tanzania this past summer

I could not be more grateful for my time with Global Leadership Adventures over this past summer. They gave me such a wonderful opportunity to immerse myself in true African culture- every weekday we were brought to the local school and taught English to the students, played with them during their recess, and helped plant over a hundred trees surrounding their school. We also spent a nice amount of time with host families from the area that our home base was in; we walked around the town, went to their market, visited a hanging bridge, saw their homes, and interacted with the people all throughout the town. That was probably my favorite part about the whole trip. I was overwhelmed by how welcoming and kind everyone was. Everywhere you went, people would always greet you with a wide smile. Between all of the many amazing and interactive activities that GLA had planned for us, we were also given a good amount of down time at the home base. My group as a whole was rather close from the beginning- we would spend our nights out at the Gazebo playing games and finding out new things about each other. I remember one night in specific- the power went out at the home base (had been going out off and on for the past week) and a few of my friends and I just layed out on the grass and looked up at the stars. It was so peaceful. Reflecting on this journey now, there's nothing that I would've wanted to do differently (except stay longer of course:)) I went on the three week program and am so glad that i decided to do so. Two weeks would've just been much too short. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who has a desire to travel and immerse their self into a whole new world. Asante Sana (thank you very much) Global Leadership Adventures for this amazing opportunity and Nakupenda (I love you) Tanzania <3 .