GLA Guatemala: Children of the Maya™ (for Teens)
Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

GLA Guatemala: Children of the Maya™ (for Teens)

Leadership & service in Guatemala

My 16 year old daughter traveled to Guatemala with Global Leadership Adventures in the summer of 2017. The experience was life-changing. Being immersed in a Spanish speaking culture teaching children English offered the perfect balance of challenge and fun. Grace learned so much about herself, leadership and the challenges & blessings of education. She was able to compare & contrast Education system in the US with that of a small, impoverished town in Guatemala, seeing the beauty and brokenness in both systems. Grace came home more compassionate, inspired to create change in her own community and to be more courageous in her own life to help her grow. This personal growth will allow her to have more to offer those she serves & works side by side with on her next Global Leadership trip in summer 2019.

Global Leadership Adventures, 14-Day children of the Maya program

The 14-Day Children of the Maya program through the organization Global Leadership Adventures is truly extraordinary! While in Guatemala, my group of 29 other high schoolers and I taught & delivered English lessons to 200 Pre-K through 6th graders in a hectic, high energy primary school environment. Not going to lie teaching English to these kids was not an easy task. I faced great frustration that all my teaching efforts were all for nothing. Yet, my outstanding mentors helped me turn this frustration into inspiration. I began altering the lessons to be more one-on-one based, rather than trying to teach to a group of 30 kids who only speak Spanish. During my time at the primary school I utilized my Spanish speaking skills to explain the lessons to my students as well as answer their thoughtful questions. My new approach to teaching drastically changed the outcome of my lessons! I began seeing educational breakthroughs surface! One day during recess, some of my students ran up to my peers and were asking them questions like "how are you" and "what is your name"...IN ENGLISH!!! It was in this moment all my initial frustration and seemingly pointless attempts of teaching vanished. I saw the change we were making. My experience in Guatemala truly challenged and embraced my inner leader. This program taught me so much about myself and what my role in the world is. I 100% recommend this program for any high school student who wants to find their inner leader, while teaching children!

Wonderful and engaging volunteer teen experience

My daughter traveled to Guatemala with Global Leadership Adventures in June of 2017 as a 14 year old. She had an amazing experience with her service work and gaining new friendships. This trip had an incredible impact on her life to experience another country and give back her time and talent to children who needed it most. I would strongly recommend any parent considering sending their child on a volunteer program to experience what Global Leadership Adventures has to offer. Their programs and staff are extremely friendly, helpful and caring. Your child will absolutely love it.

Guatemala GLA 2016

Guatemala was a beautiful country and with the help of Global Leadership Adventures I learned more about their culture than I ever imagined. We begun the trip with a fantastic recreation of a traditional Mayan wedding, with our own students in it! It is safe to say we all got to know one and other really quick after 2 people got married! Not to mention, the service was life changing. You can fall in love with the kids on day one, I would not change my location choice or organization for the world.

GLAwesome

What struck me about GLA was its ability to bridge the wide cultural and economic gap between American teenagers and locals that care profoundly for their country and culture. GLA did an exceptional job at not only telling me why it's important to help, but showing me. It showed me who these people were at their core, what got them up in the morning, and the things they had to endure and sacrifice. I was privileged enough to play and work with them, and listen to their stories, some of which were nearly too horrible to stomach. But the more I learned, and the closer I grew to the country, the more I humbly desired to help them however I could. That is what made my GLA trip more than exceptional, and my only complaint is that I can't go back once I'm out of high school.

Love GLA

Global Leadership Adventures has brought me nothing but good experiences throughout my travels with them. I've gone to three different countries and each has been sensational. I've felt endangered and the staff were fantastic. Highly recommend for anybody look for a valuable learning and service experience abroad.