GLA Ghana: Children of Africa
Global Leadership Adventures Header Image Global Leadership Adventures Header Image

GLA Ghana: Children of Africa

Ghana Children of Africa 2 Week

Everyone from the people on the plane, the GLA hired staff, and the members of the Krobo community were so welcoming and positive which was a great start to the trip. our weekly schedule typically involved brick making, elementary school teaching, playing in the park, and doing a cultural activity. This was by far the best experience I've ever had from playing with the kids, participating in local traditions, learning at the krobo girls high school, building bricks, and teaching the kids English.
The goodbyes were the only bad thing about this trip because the kids wouldn't let go and it was hard to make them do so. Ghana will forever hold a special place in my heart.

21-day children of Africa, Ghana

This past summer, I traveled to Anloga, Ghana for three weeks on the Children of Africa program with Global Leadership Adventures (GLA). In simple terms, this trip was a life-changing experience. Between the perfect balance of service, culture, and the incredible people I met, I will forever remember my time in the amazing country of Ghana. Our days began at 7 am with a delicious breakfast, then we broke into our three mentor groups to go to our schools. At Zico Primary, my mentor group’s school, we started by making bricks; these bricks would go toward building school facilities because there is an issue of overcrowding. After brick making, we taught for an hour. My two partners and I taught first graders english, science, and math. I had never taught before in a classroom setting so it was quite challenging but very fun and rewarding by the end of the three weeks. I made an incredible relationship with my students and learned a bit of Ewe, the local language, along the way. After returning from school and eating lunch, we did a variation of activities each day. For example, one day we shopped in the Anloga and Keta markets. There, we bought traditional fabric which we then brought to seamstresses who sewed clothing for us. When we returned from our afternoon activities, we ate dinner and began our evening activity. Days were packed full with lots to do and each activity had the purpose of meeting new people and learning about Ghanaian culture. Aside from the schedule, I want to acknowledge the amazing staff on site. Each mentor group has a mentor and a local staff member; there is also an international director and a local staff director. Everyone is extremely nice and approachable. They accompany you on every adventure and they are great people to get to know and talk to; they each come from such interesting and different backgrounds so make sure you get to know them! GLA does an amazing job at finding incredible staff, providing a fun, activity-packed trip, and ensuring our safety. I cannot recommend this company enough! I will never forget my experience in Ghana and will remember all of the wonderful memories I made there.

My GLA adventure to Ghana

I had a blast in Odumase, Ghana. Prior to going on this trip I thought I wouldn't get as much cultural exposure; however, on the contrary, this trip made me see a world in a new way. I put aside the myopic view on 3rd world countries and indulged in the rich culture of Ghana and their ever so happy people. This trip is by far the best decision I've made in 2016. It has taught me to be thankful for all I have and was a severely safe and friendly trip. I cannot thank my mentors enough for guiding me and my fellow peers whom might I add are still in touch with me from the journey I'll never forget.

Life changing

This past summer I went to Ghana with Global Leadership Adventures (GLA). Needless to say, it was all phenomenal. The service we did there was so much fun, teaching children and making bricks to help build a library at the school. I will never forget this trip-- I made so many friends and it was amazing being immersed in the Ghanaian culture. GLA ROCKED when we had to go through the process of planning flights and answering all of my questions. Totally would recommend going with GLA to anyone!!

Ghana Children of Africa

This summer I went to Ghana through Global Leadership Adventures. It was such an amazing experience. It opened my eyes to a new perspective of the world I had not previously seen. In the mornings we would go down to the school where we would build bricks for a new library, prior to teaching a class. The children were always so eager to learn and were appreciative of us coming. They would often come to meet us at our HomeBase to hold our hands as we went with them down to the Park to play or go to the school to teach. While we were there, we also learned about some social and global issues like girl empowerment and privilege. Other times we learned about traditional Ghanaian dances, stories, crafts, and how to cook. I made so many friends and would recommend this program to everyone. I had an amazing experience and wouldn't trade it for anything.