Global Experiences - Intern Abroad in Milan
Intern Abroad Global experiences Intern Abroad Global experiences

Global Experiences - Intern Abroad in Milan

Discovering yourself

After 3 months of living in Italy, I can say I've fallen in love. I have studied abroad before, but this year in Milan, Italy my experience was something words can't even describe...

Internship: Yesterday as my last day at my internship, and I can say it was definitely one of the BEST and HARDEST days of my life! I never thought I could grow so close to people I had only known for 3 short months, but I did. The love and energy these people have for one another is something I've never seen before. With lots espresso shots (200 if we're counting), Italian food, and shoes, I was welcomed into the family of ASAP LTD SPA. Tears of happiness streamed down my face as I was so happy to have gotten to meet each and every person at my work. I definitely can say that I couldn't have asked for a better placement. The people at my work were my favorite part, but if we talk about the job: my job tasks, and what my company did as a whole were all in line with what I wanted to learn about for my future job, so GE couldn't have done a better job.

Global Experiences: Now to rewind and go back 3 months ago. The staff at Global Experience were just as amazing and answered each and everyone of my questions, and trust me there were a lot! The way we communicate is almost like talking to my best friends (Amy, Kristi, Rachel and Lydia). They're here to help in anyway they can, and want to make your dream careers come true. So don't be shy to talk to ask them questions, they love getting to know you and hear about your experiences.

Housing: My housing was completely new and very spacious, I was shocked since most European flats are quiet cozy. I lived right by the main metro stop, and had two grocery stores on either side of where I lived, one which was opened 24/hrs. (Funny story: my credit card company turned off my credit card for a day because they thought someone had stolen it because I went to the grocery store so at least 2 times a day.) The fresh produce, pastries, and yogurt were amazing!

Global Experience Social Excursions & Gatherings: My location coordinator Amy did an unbelievable job planning trips for us throughout our 3 months here. Each one was completely different and unique, and showed us why Italy is so amazing. If it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't have gone on any trips. She has been there for us 24/7, and has done everything in her power to give us the best experience we could possibly have. So I owe her a huge thank you!

Language School: Before we all started our internships we took a language course for 2 weeks. It was a great way to meet people from around the world, and make friends outside our internships. Our teachers did a really good job mixing up session plans, so we had lots of activities in between doing worksheets. The school also put on events for us so we could go on excursions and see what Milan had to offer. That was nice so we could still keep in touch with our friends from school.

Italia Mi Amo

Milan is a beautiful place to live, explore, and cherish, but what makes it an even better experience is attending the program through Global Experiences. I had a fashion internship while abroad and GE worked to their greatest extent to place me in an environment that catered to my specifications. I learned, grew, and was challenged throughout the summer and ultimately gained new insight on the industry and the detailed components of running your own company.

The city itself is the perfect place to get to know in a few months. A larger city with a small city feel. There are unique components of Milan that will satisfy any traveler from the countless bars and restaurants along the canals, the grand Duomo di Milano and plentiful museums, the beautifully expansive Parco de Sempione, or the shopping along Corso Buenos Aries in Lima and Loreto. You will fall in love with the city, its culture, and all that it has to offer.

One of the perks of joining GE is the fact that the program is offered to students all over the country as opposed to enrolling through your school (if they have a program like this). I got the chance to make friends with some awesome people from so many different places and backgrounds and cherished the connection with them as we all figured out how to navigate a new setting and blossom in the workplace.

Join this program and have the time of your life in Milan. It will grow you, work you, and open up your eyes to all the amazing possibilities that lie ahead. I promise you won't regret a single bit.

A great professional experience abroad!

I definitely enjoyed my time with my Global Experiences internship, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a unique 'study abroad' experience!

I was an intern in Milan, Italy for a PR and marketing agency. At first, I was nervous about this, as I had preffed a retail marketing and/or merchandising experience so I thought I would want to work in a showroom there. However, I decided to just go with it because the company seemed great to work for, and it was just a more general example of what my marketing major could teach me. This brings me to my first piece of GE advice: Be open to whatever opportunities may come to you. Maybe it’s not exactly what you had in mind, but being open to more experiences can introduce you to new passions or even further reassure you that the career path you’re on is the right one for you.

After my decision, I can honestly say that I was not disappointed at all once I began my internship. I could not have asked for a better placement after working at this agency. My co-workers were all so caring and immediately made me feel welcome, which eased another worry of mine. I showed enthusiasm everyday for the work given and they responded to that by giving me meaningful work to showcase what I could really do for them. My second piece of GE advice: I would encourage anyone thinking about going through the program to do the same and show enthusiasm as it really does pay off. You won't enjoy your work 100% of the time, but I think that definitely helps you grow and realize that this fact follows you everywhere. It's best to make the most of it! Because of this, I was able to later handle blogger collaboration negotiations, potential client presentations, website development for the agency, attend a fashion week event as a guest, and even celebrate my boss’ birthday with my co-workers on a weekend vacation to Tuscany. All of these things helped me realize that I really, and surprisingly, enjoy this line of work.

As far as the accommodations from GE go, I was very pleased with the location of my housing, my roommates, and the socials that the program had planned for us. They definitely made it easier to connect with others, and there is absolutely no need to be worried about not finding a great group of people to spend your free time with. My third piece of GE advice: I would highly recommend getting everyday advice from your co-workers and your program coordinators. They are more than likely willing to help if you just ask, and since they live in your internship location, they can definitely tell you how the locals live which can make your time adjusting much easier! Even if they don’t know the answer right away, your program coordinators will do their best to help you- that’s what they’re there for.

Overall, I had an unforgettable summer of learning and growth with Global Experiences. I made great connections, saw some beautiful sights, and discovered new professional strengths and passions. You might be nervous to be away from home for so long or about the internship in general, but I really don’t think that should stop you from joining this program. It is different and it will take some adjusting, but I promise you that it is so so worth it. Go GE!

Fashion blogger in Milan

My experience has been amazing!
Nothing really about the internship that I didn't enjoy. If anything it was more like certain types of blog posts were less fun than others, but that's the same with any job. Writer's block was an obstacle for me when I wasn't terribly inspired by the project and I really had to kick myself in the pants sometimes to just get it done!
As for the Global Experiences parts of the internship I loved the outings, big surprise huh? Having Eleonora as our overseer was amazing, she's the best! Friend, tour guide (because she knows a lot about the places we go!), guardian angel. We were lucky to have her, she's very sweet and kind and it was great knowing if we needed something or had questions she would be very prompt with her responses.
The schooling sadly did little for me, maybe it was just my learning style didn't fit but I regret not using that two weeks to just travel. The instructors themselves were very friendly though.
Another thing, the metro card, guys this saves us so much hassle! Never get rid of this! Ever!
Talking about my internship:
When I arrived and began working with my supervisor, a fashion blogger, we jumped right into things. She had me up and running with all the log in's for her email, wordpress, pinterest, twitter, and instagram in the first few days and by the end of the first week I was keeping her calendar, researching trends, writing blog posts and going along for outfit pickups and events. I also helped her shoot a lookbook for a designer she was consulting for which was pretty cool.
Fashion week itself was a different kind of schedule altogether. Before fashion week it's all about the prep work like picking up fashion week outfits from press rooms, writing about what trends we will see in the show as well as keeping up the everyday work like shooting and writing about different outfits. We also try and lay out a tentative schedule as best we can before fashion week with the events and shows we know about before all the last minute (like 'day of' last minute) emails come in and we are scrambling to make sure they all make it on the calendar. Then it's a week of running to this show or that event, fighting for a seat amongst the seasoned fashion week photographers, and haggling with security. Exchanging pleasantries with PR, picking up press releases and goodie bags and doing all this while constantly updating twitter and instagram stories from every event you go to along the way.
After fashion week everything slows nearly to a halt for about a day or two, while we catch a breather, doing clean up work like returning borrowed designer pieces and organizing the million goodie bags with product and press releases. Then things in the writing sector take off and, because we now have so much material to work with our topic pile is overflowing, the blog post frenzy begins. So it may seem quieter because no, you aren't running around hopping on and off public transport til 8,9,10 at night, you are technically staying in but you're staying in because you have several hours, days of writing that needs to be done haha!
Working with this supervisor there's a role you don't find in a lot of work environments, she really wants you to be soaking in a learning as much as possible. It is actually a must for her, as opposed to a lot of places where it is more 'here's the work you have done by this time, oh and hopefully it will help you learn something'. No she wants you to understand what you are doing, the reason and purpose behind doing it and how to do it well.
She also gives you a lot of independence, if you have a list of events to go to, you go on your own a lot of the time, and unless told otherwise you pretty much decide which order to go to them and when. You're job is just to make sure you make it to all of them and do the job right. So an important role here is to really keep yourself on task.
Patience, perhaps stemmed from years of retail work, has helped tremendously in this line of work and in a new country. Patience with the people, patience with the public transportation system that has an agenda of it's own and is at times utterly confusing, or on strike! Patience with those who send last minute emails but fully expect you to attend their event, and those events that don't start on time by like a whole hour. Patience with the workload, and with yourself for not having more of done.
My advice to any intern: Communicate, keep yourself in line and organized and be useful! Because it will all help you in the end!

Amazing Internship Abroad

I just want to say that from the beginning to the end Global Experiences was very helpful and accommodating! I am so thankful to have joined this internship abroad program for it brought me a new worldly perspective without all the hassle of having to plan the trip on my own. My internship placement was perfect and my coworkers were all so welcoming and accommodating. If you are thinking of doing an internship or a study abroad program Global Experiences is the way to go !

Educational

Living in Milan you get a really good sense of Italian culture. The nightlife is great, the food is great and its a city that hasn't been overrun by english-speaking tourists. Going with Global Experiences was great, the building we stayed in was very modern and had a gym and cafeteria and they planned fun day trips for us to Venice, Verona and Florence and nights out for apperitivo. Their staff is incredibly kind and helpful, I would study abroad with them again in a heart beat!