Global Experiences - Intern Abroad in London
Intern Abroad Global experiences Intern Abroad Global experiences

Global Experiences - Intern Abroad in London

My experience in London!

Studying abroad in London, England was by far the best decision I have made for myself, thus far! I learned so much, both personally and professionally and became more independent through my experiences. I would recommend this program to anyone that wants to live in a fast paced and exciting city, while pursuing their dream and advancing their career. If you're having second thoughts, don't worry because the staff at Global Experiences, along with the other interns are there for you every step of the way and want nothing more than to see you succeed.

Invaluable and enriching

Interning with GE has provided me with a lasting experience that will last me a lifetime. I interned with Medland Metropolis, an engineering firm in London. I've gained not only invaluable working experience with my company but also tremendous personal growth. Being so far away from home can be scary at first but I've learned to absolutely love the feeling of independence and being able to do things yourself. Your experience is what you make of it and I've learned that some of the best experiences I've had has been due to my willingness to try new things.

Before you're able to intern in London, you need to obtain a work visa and London has one of the more complicated processes in doing it. However, GE has provided very thorough and detailed instructions in doing so to make the process as less painful as possible and I'm grateful for that.

Sarah, our location coordinator in London, has been excellent in helping us ease into London in the best way possible and keeping us from developing culture shock. I couldn't have had a better coordinator as she made sure to provide us interns with a very enjoyable time in the city.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time interning for GE. The program has given me so many wonderful opportunities and helped me expand my global network. I've made so many lasting friends while I was here and the enriching culture has provided me so much insight into the world as a whole. I definitely would recommend this type of program to anyone that's even remotely interested.

London's calling!

During the fall semester of my senior year of college I had thought about living abroad again (as I studied abroad in college), and I knew I wanted to get work experience within my major. That's when I came across Global Experiences. After doing some research I made the plunge and decided to do an internship in London- and it has been one of the best decisions I've made! Who wouldn't want to live in such an amazing city? Plus you gain career experience and get to travel a bit at the same time.

Global Experiences is a wonderful program that helps you along every step of the way from pre-departure (which can get stressful no matter what), arriving in London, during your stay, and any other time you need it. They also work very hard in getting you an internship that best suits you, along with helping you land that internship. Being a psychology major, I interned for a service that provided help for young people who suffer from drug/alcohol problems. During my time with that service I learned so much from my colleagues, got to apply my degree to real life situations, and made some great connections.

Trust me, don't miss out on this wonderful opportunity! You won't regret it.

Museum intern

My internship in London was one of the best decisions I ever made. Global Experiences is by your side for the beginning and end of the program assisting you to insure you are comfortable, but throughout the middle they leave you be unless you reach out to them. You receive all the freedom you would like, regardless of the events they hold for you (which are your prerogative but entirely optional). London is an incredible city, as a museum and arts major I took advantage of the free museums and exhibitions which are never ending. Ensure that you budget to come over here appropriately, because it is an expensive city. Still, I have no regrets!

Best 3 Months of My Life!

During the spring of my senior year of college I knew that I wanted to do some more traveling and gain more experience to put on my resume before I got a "real job". I came across Global Experiences and applied and never looked back!

From a pre-departure aspect I was guided every step of the way, from visa applications to interview preparations. When I got to London, the staff on the ground made sure I was supported and were there for whatever questions I had.

Interning in London changed my life. I made some of the best friends of my life and was able to add international work experience to my resume.

Thanks, GE!

The best Summer!

I had the most amazing summer interning in London with Global Experiences! I got to work at a law firm and certainly had a professional experience that would not have been possible without Global Experience's facilitation, especially not domestically, given that I'm an undergraduate student. Living in London for two months was incredibly fun, and there was not a dull day. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything else!

Summer of a lifetime

I have always wanted to travel overseas, whether it be for work or a study abroad. I was on the fence about doing a study abroad, but then when I found out about Global Experiences, I completely changed my mind. Why not WORK overseas? Global Experiences was very helpful throughout the whole process, from getting my passport, all the way till I made it to London! They placed me in my dream job, and I could have not had a better experience. I would recommend this program to anyone who loves traveling, meeting new people of all kinds and especially someone who is looking to grow professionally and emotionally.

An experience of a lifetime

This summer I decided to assert my independence and go abroad in London on my own. As an individual in a wheelchair, I was worried about accessibility and whether or not I would enjoy my time, but Global Experiences quickly made me realize that all of my worrying went to waste. London is one of the older cities so accessibility isn't as great, however my location coordinator, Sarah, was always willing to help me when I needed it.

I am a graphic designer and my internship placement was at a company that was very politically based. I was originally worried I wasn't going to like it as I am not as involved in politics, however my colleagues and supervisor were absolutely wonderful. There wasn't a single moment where they treated me any different than a full-time employee at the business and I can truly say I was always excited to go into work for the day. My internship placement went far beyond my expectations and I learned a lot of valuable information during my time there.

Global Experiences put out a handful of great events - I was able to do the day trip to Stonehenge and Bath and attended our exit orientation at the Shard. Although I wish the events were planned slightly better in the accessibility aspect, GE did as much as possible to ensure I still had a great time at both events.

I am very glad I went through with this experience because I learned a lot that I know will benefit me in the future.

GE in London was the perfect way to spend my summer.

I interned at Solace Women's Aid in London thanks to Global Experiences this summer and I loved it. My internship was perfect for me and GE was there if I needed support or help with anything, which luckily I did not. They really simplified the process of finding the internship and finding housing, and even planned a few fun social events and excursions throughout the two months I was in London with them too. If anyone is on the fence about GE, I would definitely tell them that they are legitimate and interning through them will provide immense professional and personal development.

Summer London Internship

I took a leap of faith and decided to intern abroad in London, a place I'd always wanted to go back to after visiting for the first time in 2011! I would say overall that I'm quite happy with everyone involved in the Global Experiences process! It was all exciting, and I appreciated the coaching calls and resume assistance. They made everything very clear to me and made sure I understood everything I needed to get done before coming to London. It was very easy to reach out to my program advisor for any questions and she would always be very helpful.

Our living accommodations were also excellent; the flats are equipped with everything you would ever need and it was extremely fun getting to know the other interns in such a close location to everything. The biggest plus was how close our flat was to a lot of the main attractions. There was a tube station less than a 3-minute walk and also many bus stops around the area. Our location coordinator was extremely friendly, nice and always available to chat.

I got placed at an awesome advertising agency on a marketing role involved in a lot of brand, client, and product research. My internship placement worked out perfectly and Global experiences know what they're doing when they are matching you up to a company. They always make sure you are receiving everything you are looking for so that it turns into a memorable and growing experience.

Another plus was the events that they put on for the interns. We received a welcome party to meet all the interns, multiple day trips, and an exit orientation at the Shard. I chose Global Experiences to help me along; I definitely think London is amazing and my experience could not have gone any better!

Loving the London hustle & bustle

My Fall interning in London was more than I could have asked for. I was lucky to have such an incredible internship with Jungle Creations, and make terrific friends in my program. If you're looking for a great way to live abroad, gain unmatched work experience, and have the time of your life, this program is for you.

Fall internship in London

I took the plunge and decided to intern abroad in London, a place I'd always wanted go to! I decided almost a year in advance because I wanted to be sure on the program administration and all of the small details involved. I would say overall that I'm quite happy with everyone involved in the Global Experiences process! It was all exciting, and I appreciated the coaching calls and resume assistance.

Our living accommodations were also excellent; this was the first time I have ever lived on my own and it was extremely fun getting to know the other interns in such a close location to everything. Our location coordinator was extremely friendly, nice and always available to chat.

I got placed at a cool fashion forecasting agency where I took on a marketing role involved in a lot of brand and client research. I also got to participate in the creative writing for trend descriptions which was fun! Attending a press event and photographing designer clothes was also a highlight. I had lovely team members who I will greatly miss.

Stonehenge was a blast, along with Windsor Castle, seeing Wicked and other awesome adventures. Winter Wonderland is also gorgeous near Christmas! I'm glad I chose Global Experiences to help me along; I definitely think London is amazing but also an easy place to feel isolated as there are so many people! Starting out with a small community of friends and mentors really made London feel like a place I could call home.

Best summer of my life

I joined the GE Summer programme this year as a psychology intern at a drug and alcohol service that is based in South London. As some background information, I am an Indonesian national who completed my undergraduate university degree in Australia. What initially attracted me to apply for the programme is the fact that GE is the only international internship provider that arranges internships in the career field of psychology (in London too, no less, as well as in Dublin and NYC). However, as I went through each stage of the (fairly straightforward) application procedure and eventually arrived in the UK myself, I learnt that there were so many more advantages to joining the GE Summer programme than just that.

Firstly, the extremely high level of care and attention that GE provides is noticeable right from the get-go. Despite being quite a seasoned traveller and expat in a few countries myself, I wouldn't have survived in London without their professional, efficient, and friendly guidance along the way, which included a personalised CV and cover letter writing workshop, a very comprehensive pre-departure seminar, as well as continuous on-site support during my stay in the UK. In addition, to me, the immensely enjoyable time that I had at my workplace also speaks volumes about the effort that goes into finding the right companies to place their interns at.

Secondly, the accommodation in which they house their interns, including myself, is located in a safe and well-connected area in London's Zone 1 (Farringdon/Clerkenwell, to be exact). Although the rooms, including bathrooms, are on the small side (a given in Central London, it seems!), all the facilities in the apartment make for a pleasant stay, such as a spacious kitchen and dining area, access to the gym, on-site laundry service, and 24-hour security.

Thirdly, GE organises many exciting social outings, which, in the time that I did the programme, included day trips to Brighton and Bath, a culinary tour of East London, a cooking class, and post-exit orientation drinks at The Shard.

To sum up, I would definitely recommend GE to anyone who would love a massively rewarding and unforgettable opportunity to grow professionally (as well as personally!). Thank you so much everyone at GE for everything!

The expat experience

If I didn't have to leave London to come back to school here in The States, I wouldn't have! I have now done two summers with Global Experiences and have had the time of my life. I've always had the need to explore, yet I knew that I needed to spend my Junior and Senior summers doing internships to prepare me for the future, so interning abroad seemed like the perfect solution. I've had great experiences both times, most significantly in my internships. I'm studying Business and Film in LA but wanted to see what the industry was like in other parts of the world, and GE found two really great internships for me. I developed skills in management, production and even video editing that I never expected and don't know if I would have if I stayed in LA. I learned so much about myself, my work and how I fit into the industry that I've even altered my career path and I'm more excited than ever about the future (which may or may not have me going back to London =]).

When you intern with Global Experiences, you get more than just the internship, you get a whole support system with you in London. It can be a little intimidating moving across the world to work in a place you may never have been before with a culture that is unfamiliar to you, but GE is really good at preparing you for the experience and helping you make the most of your time while you are there. You're with a group of people that are all going through the same thing, and you help build each other up so that you all have the best possible time. The events (such as going to Bath, Stonehenge, and my favorite, Brighton) are also geared towards helping you integrate into the local culture which is so important if you want to get the most out of your experience.

I would recommend anyone who is looking to have a unique experience working abroad to seriously consider doing this program, as finding it has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
Cheers GE!

An unforgettable experience

I had the time of my life interning in London, all thanks to Global Experiences! Everything seemed to be a dream when I was in London, due to the exceptional staff at my housing accommodation, the staff of Global Experiences who were always willing to help in any way they could to assure your feeling comfortable and happy while being there, and my actual internship placement. I couldn't have asked for a better experience in London. My internship placement was exactly what I was looking for when I applied to Global Experiences. Global Experiences were able to fulfill my needs and requests extremely well with all the hard-work they put in to making your own individual London experience the best it can be. I look forward to going back to London and starting a career there because of the positive, supportive and successful experience I had while under Global Experience's wing!

Amazing experience

Summer internship in London with Global Experiences absolutely exceeded my expectation. I have gained both professional and personal development.
I was placed in the IT department of an real estate company and was given the opportunity to write my own application under the help of my supervisor and coworkers. It was a such a valuable learning experience. Housing is AMAZING and it is totally worth the cost.
London is such a diverse city, unlike anywhere I have ever been, even though I have a diverse background myself. I would absolutely recommend anyone to give it a try. It will change your life.

My London Experience

GE kept saying it was going to be a great experience having the opportunity to go abroad. I had this opportunity two years ago when I did a year abroad in Milan, but honestly, as much as I love and miss each one of my friends in Milan, London has my heart now. I met my best friend there. I worked 9 hrs per day, something that was quite a challenge, but the biggest one, was writing for the fashion industry. Besides the internship, which it was great, thanks H for that, my co-workers and bosses were amazing. Great people at LG, if I could go back, I will, saving money to go to the city that has everything in one place. You will never get bored, you will always meet thousands of people from different cultures and you will definitely, believe me, definitely meet people.

I went to London by myself, I'm not gonna lie, I was indeed a bit scared, 'cause English is my second language and working 40 hrs per week in an english environment was going to be a challenge, but I manage to survive and do great about it. I'm proud and happy that I had the opportunity with GE to do an internship in London. If you decide to go by yourself, do it, that's the best thing to do, 'cause you are forced to open up and meet people, 'cause it's either that or being lonely.

I was the only Latin girl in the program, and I'm proud I changed the way people think about Mexico. As you travel you meet thousands of people that will change your life and you probably changed theirs.

I'm happy I made the right decision of choosing GE! I hope you do too!
X, M

Summer 2015

I knew I needed an internship before graduating and I also wanted to do it abroad. But the thought of trying to do it all on my own was so daunting. I found Global Experiences by chance through Google. After reading reviews I decided to go for it. I'm so glad I did. GE helps you with everything you need. From the visa process to housing to finding an internship that's right for you, they have your back. The people from GE will become some great friends. The flatmates I had in London were incredible and I was really sad when I had to say bye. We bonded so quickly within those 2 months. The internship I had was a perfect fit and I was able to expand my writing and journalism skills. I grew as a professional and an adult. I wouldn't change this experience for anything!

London Calling

I always knew that I wanted to go abroad during my time as an undergrad. I didn’t know where - I just knew I wanted to immerse myself in a culture other than my own. That’s where Global Experiences comes in.

I met them at an International Careers Fair at the University of Michigan. They hooked me from the start. I went home and spent hours clicking through the pages of various internships available to choose from. Although the descriptions are quite vague, with a bit of curiosity and Google at your fingers, I was able to determine the exact location of the ‘creative writing and education’ internship in East London. I soon fell in love with the Ministry of Stories, a non-profit children’s creative writing and mentoring centre, and knew that this was the internship for me.

I think my case is a bit unusual - in that I came to Global Experiences knowing exactly what I wanted. Most people use the program to test out fields they are unsure if they’re interested in, or perhaps as a way to gauge what it is that ignites their excitement. But, if you do know what it is you want, don’t be afraid to tell Global Experiences. They will do everything they can to make sure you are successful and satisfied with everything you do. They are your personal cheerleaders. There aren’t too many times in your life where people will be there every step of the way to make sure you get what you want.

In the weeks preceding my interview with the Ministry of Stories, a GE program coordinator and I had weekly phone calls to practice interview questions, to edit my CV and cover letter, and to take a Strengths Finder test, which would ultimately describe my unique skills and translate them into a professional vocabulary. I know that this professional development will stick with me for the rest of my career, and for that I am so grateful.

Although Global Experiences is definitely not cheap, and in that case, neither is London, but the friends I’ve made, the work I’ve accomplished, the confidence I’ve gained, and the adventures that I’ll always cherish are more than worth the price. Thanks to Global Experiences and the Ministry of Stories, I have conquered more than I ever thought was possible. I’ve learned how to live and navigate in a foreign city, I’ve brought my creativity and energy to improve an organization and mission that I believe in, I’ve left my footprints in English towns that I never imagined I’d visit in my life, and have been inspired by the peers I’ve met in this programme.

Two months always seems like a long time before you leave, but once it’s over, you wonder where it all went. A helpful outlook is to remember that if you hadn’t known an end date was on the horizon, you wouldn’t make the most out of your time here in this brilliant city. London is calling…don’t miss your chance to live and love it.

A True Global Experience

As a seasoned traveller, I wanted to seek out an internship that combined work experience with culture immersion. Enter Global Experiences.

After sifting through dozens of intern and study abroad programs, I narrowed down my hefty list to just a handful. Out of those few, Global Experiences was the first to get back to me. What surprised me about this program was that the application to participate wasn't readily available, you had to speak with a consultant first. I liked the way the consultants reached out and scheduled a one on one meeting with you over the phone instead of sending an information packet to your mailbox. From the beginning, the staff was dedicated to meeting my needs and specifications as a person seeking employment for a very specific sector of jobs. While there were over 100 interns in my summer program, I never felt like I was pushed aside. My emails during the entire process were always answered quickly and everyone was so informative.

Global Experiences assisted with everything from cover letter and resume review, to interview tips and visa advice. The staff was also able to assist me with finding a second part-time internship, after the one I really wanted was only looking for a part-time intern. I loved both of my placements and don't think I would've found either of them looking on my own.

Since we were staying in Central London, I didn't have super high hopes for the housing they would provide, but I was pleasantly surprised when the accommodation had 24/7 security staff, spacious and clean rooms, and was in a great location. I got on really well with the flatmates I was assigned, so it seems like there was thought put into that as well.

While there were set activities for us to participate in through GE, it didn't occupy every weekend. This left plenty of time to go visit other places and see what else Europe had to offer. Weekend trips included Bath and Stonehenge and Brighton, but there were also events like a networking night and a visit to the Globe Theater to watch a show.

I highly recommend this program to those who are looking for independence with structure. I say that because students that are willing to go to a foreign country by themselves for this type of experience are probably very independent, but will need a hand in sorting out all the logistics. It's hard to know exactly what visa you need and how you're going to get international organizations to look at your resume. Global Experiences provided a great balance of giving me the opportunity but still allowing me to decide whether to take it. I did take it, and I'm so happy I did.

The best interning experience I could have had...

Global Experiences provided me with one of the most fantastic experiences I could have hoped for. From the first moment I showed interest, to the last weeks of being in London, the staff were incredibly supportive, encouraging, and exercised wonderful leadership skills. At the beginning, as I began the process of applying for the program and then later for jobs, GE helped me through every step with ample amounts of patience and guidance. They listened to all of my specifications and met every single one as they began setting me up with interviews. Once I landed my internships (I was lucky enough to split my time between two), GE helped in the semi complicated Visa process and began prepping us for the major transitions we would face upon moving to a different country for the summer. Although I had been to London many times, I still found all of their advice to be extremely helpful and comforting. It's always hard to leave your "normal" for that long!

Upon arriving to London I was extremely pleased with the housing situation. Not only were the accommodations safe, neat, and clean, but my flatmates were also completely fantastic. It seemed that we were all placed together very intentionally, and we quickly became very close. They became my fast friends and joined me on many adventures throughout the summer.

To my delight, the first days at each of my internships went SO well. From day one I was completely in love with both of my placements and couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I thrived in both workplaces and gained so much one on one teaching from each of my supervisors. The internships were perfectly designed for my strengths and interests and there is no way I could have found anything that perfect on my own. GE Orientation was extremely helpful as I entered into the London working culture and the site visits they conducted professionally encouraged good communication between my supervisors and I. It was continuously evident that Global Experiences truly had my interests in mind throughout the entire summer. The London GE team was so great during my time in London and they were constantly reaching out to provide friendly and professional support.

I can't recommend this program enough for young people looking to globally expand their horizons. If you are at all interested in experiencing a career internationally, do it with GE. The placements are thoughtfully considered, the support is constant, and the experience is beyond words.

GE Summer Internship in London

Having a summer internship in London was a fantastic experience! Global experiences was the partner my University worked through, and we were introduced to their staff in the early spring before the trip. They are generally very helpful and will edit your resumes and cover letters and provide a lot of other pre departure tips and information via online portals and webinars.

You have to be prepared for the difficulties of applying for a visa, as this is one of the most stressful parts. GE doesn't manage this (rather a government agency does), but they explain how to do it and responded very quickly when I asked for help.

The program staff in country were all very nice and there were some cool trips and events we had such as a pub meet up our first week, and trips to Brighton, Bath and Stonehenge. Most of your social experience you will have to manage on your own (including trips abroad), but I found everyone in the program was very fun and happy to make friends! I also thought the housing we were provided was quite nice, located near central London.

I was initially disappointed that I did not get to work in the sector I had been hoping to get into, but I ending up thoroughly enjoying my work experience! My boss was amazing and the staff were very nice. How much you learn and the skills you gain really comes down to your own initiative. My first few tasks were not particularly stimulating, but I volunteered for a few small projects and came up with some ideas on my own, and after that my responsibilities grew immensely! I actually think I got a better experience with the organization I worked for, than I might have had in a more traditional internship in my preferred sector.

I would highly suggest this program to anyone who wants to get work experience overseas or who can't fit a summer abroad into their time at school.

Fall internship in London

I spent Fall of 2014 in London at an amazing internship with a charity/non-profit. Although the internship wasn't originally what I thought it might be, as it didn't directly fit with my educational/work experience background (something that might happen depending on your field), it was the most fantastic and rewarding experience.

The reason I didn't rate the Global Experiences program a full 10/10 is due to a few different reasons, mostly regarding pre-departure and housing. Although the staff at the Global Experiences offices were willing to help whenever I had questions, I definitely had to keep calling them. This might have been because of how early I signed up for the program, but it was something to keep note of. Hopefully they've fixed this communication issue but if you haven't heard from them in a while, it would be best to just call them to talk about the progress of your internship placement. However, I will say that the on-the-ground staff members in London (Sarah and Amanda) were FANTASTIC. They were so friendly, fun, and helpful, and I really appreciated their time helping the intern cohort with personal and professional development.

And in terms of the housing, it was definitely an older accommodation than most other student housing in London (and different that what GE previously has used). That said, the size of the rooms are comparable to the other types of student housing. The only real problem I found with the housing was that the management was rarely of any help and only there when most interns were at work. I think that it would be better to have more lines of communication between GE and the housing office (hopefully something that they are also working on).

Overall, the experience was fantastic. The growth I experienced from my internship was more that I could have hoped for, and I met so many amazing people in London who I plan to keep in touch with for the rest of my life.

My Time In London!

Hi there, I was an attendee of the Summer 2012 London Internship Experience studying Graphic Design. There are so many highlights from my experience that I have no idea where to start. My internship position was working for a company in Teddington, England which was one of the furthest internships away. The company was called Tru SportsWear. I stayed in the Notting Hill Nido building and met some wondering new friends who were also with Global Experiences. There were about twenty of us all together. Some of my highlights was being a part of Project Moda Season 2 in going to Italy which I have never been to. Probably the hottest day of my life it about 110 degrees I would say. Other place I went to was Oxford with a friend my internship where I worked. Me and three others who I met from another internship company also asked if I would like to get a ticket to see the USA vs France first soccer match of the Olympic Games up in Glascow, Scotland. It was so much fun! Throughout my time in London, I went on the trips that GE had for us. We went to Brighton, and to the White Cliffs of Dover. I saw three other Olympic Games which were also amazing. Eight weeks wasn't long enough I wish I could have stayed a whole year and do study abroad and travel more, but my time spent in England was well worth it and thanks to GE and our representative Melissa I felt I have grown more to know who I am as a person then when I first got there.

Changed My Life

I have interned with GE in London twice, once during undergrad and again during grad school. Both experiences were different but equally rewarding. My internship placements were beyond my expectation. I still keep in contact with both of them and they are always willing to write me a recommendation. The accommodations are in a phenomenal location and are also a great place to meet other student outside of the GE program. I never had any issues with any of my internships but GE staff was always prompt in answering any questions I had; even ones as simple as where I could go for great Indian food. The location rep that I had is one of the best people that I have ever met and I have been fortunate enough to still stay in touch with her. Not only have I made lasting friendships with other interns in the GE program but I have also made several close relationships with others that I met while interning which has been great for traveling and always having a free place to stay!