Global Collaborative 2017 - Kyung Hee University
Global Academy for Future Civilization, Kyung Hee University Header Image Global Academy for Future Civilization, Kyung Hee University Header Image

Global Collaborative 2017 - Kyung Hee University

Global Collaborative summer program 2017

Kyung Hee University Global Collaborative (GC) Summer Program is a great opportunity for students from all around the world to interact and share their ideas with each other while at the same time, immerse themselves in a different learning environment and culture. By attending classes conducted by world-renowned professors from different backgrounds (such as United Nations and CoNGO), it allows one to widen their perspectives in the rapidly globalized society. There was a variety of classes offered and I find myself spoilt for choices. We can also pick up some Taekwondo or Korean Language skills during the program!

Curriculum aside, the summer program also allows me to experience the Korean culture and society in a short span of time. Special programs such as the Seoul City Tour at the start of the program allowed me to visit a couple of sightseeing spots in a day. I also attended the Korean Culture Week that took place for a week after the end of the program. It allowed me to travel around Korea to places such as the Nami Island, Demilitarized Zone, MBC broadcasting stations as well as Carribean Bay. I particularly enjoyed the trip to the DMZ the most because it is not every day that one can get so close to North Korea.

My stay at Sehwa dormitory was also pleasant. The facilities were to my satisfaction and I did not encounter any major problems. The rooms were clean and I like how I have a bathroom in the room. The location is also very convenient as there is a bus stop right outside the dormitory and the nearest subway station is also near if we commute by foot.

All in all, it was a summer well spent at Kyung Hee University. I would encourage more people to apply for this worthwhile program to create unforgettable memories like I did.

My life at KHU

I have taken part in the GC Summer Programme 2017 held by Kyunghee University from 28th June to 27th July. It was such a worthwhile programme for me to widen my horizons and to deepen my understanding towards the Korean culture.

Kyunghee University’s campus is so beautiful because of its adoption of Western architectural style. To my surprise, the campus includes a kindergarten, a girls’ middle and high school and a boys’ middle and high school in it. Therefore, I had met people from different age groups during my school life there.

In addition, I took two courses at the university during the programme. The first one was Contemporary Korean Narratives in Film and Fiction, while the other one was Korean Language Ⅰ,Ⅱ. Although It might seem to be tiring to have classes from Monday to Friday for three consecutive weeks, it was a rewarding learning experience for me.

The film course served as a chance for me to understand more about Korean society and culture through films and fictions. I have known about the sentiments of the Koreans towards the separation of Korea, the unbalanced power between men and women in society and the abuse of violence and authoritative power in the past in South Korea. The professor required us to present our thoughts towards the films and readings in each lesson to help us exchange ideas and to discuss the social issues brought up in the films and readings.

The Korean course covered both the speaking and writing parts, but it focused more on equipping students with speaking skills. The teachers taught us how to write sentences to introduce ourselves and to describe our daily activities. We learnt about how to order food, how to talk about our plans and how to tell the doctor about our sicknesses. The things they taught were useful for us to communicate with Koreans we met in our life there. The teachers were friendly and patient, who were more like friends to us. Not only did they teach us about the course materials, but also did they recommend us to try food in other Korean cities. One of our teachers, who is from Busan, told us to try the seed-stuffed pancake (씨앗호떡). Besides, we learnt about the games that Koreans usually play with their friends, like the numbering game 3-6-9. Therefore, the Korean language course enriched my knowledge in both the Korean language and culture.

On 1st July 2017, most of the International students participating in the programme went on a Seoul City tour. We visited Gwanghuamun, the Seoul City Hall and the Namsangol Hanok Village. Although the weather was so hot that day, putting on Hanbok was still an enjoyable experience for me. In addition, the Korean culture week of our programme lasted from 22nd July to 27th July. Firstly, we travelled around the beautiful Nami Island. It is well-known for its beautiful scenery and the place for shooting one of the scenes in the Korean Drama “Winter Sonata”. Secondly, we went to Cheorwon to learn more about the Demilitarized Zone between South and North Korea. Moreover, we visited one of the Korean broadcasting stations called MBC. Besides, the University invited a newly-debuted Korean band called Honeyst to hold a mini performance for us. It was the first time for me to meet Korean idols in such a close distance.

This exchange programme has enhanced my understanding towards the Korean culture, and made me into a more independent person. The most worthwhile part is to meet friends from different parts of the world, like Korea, Vietnam, Singapore and Taiwan. This helps me to know more about life in other countries and to facilitate cultural exchange. I would recommend other HKBU students, who are also interested in Korean culture, to go on the GC Summer Programme held by Kyunghee University. It can be a life-changing experience!

The best memory from Global Collaborative program

Last summer, I joined a Global Collaborative Program which is held by Kyung Hee University, one of the well-known private school in Seoul. Joining this exchange program is the best decision that I have made. It is my first-time travel to Korea. It gave me an opportunity to widen my horizon, meet more new friends and have a self-development.

During the program, I took the Economics class because I have learned Economics before. Therefore, I believed that I can pick up easily. Unexpectedly, the teaching methods in Korea is totally different with Hong Kong. In Korea, the lectures are interactive. Professors tend to explain the economics through the group discussion and presentation. As a result, there are many chances for me to communicate with my Korean classmates. At the beginning, I felt nervous because of the language barrier. However, I found that Korean student are not only good in English, they are nice and helpful. They help me a lot, for instances, I have a speaking task in the Korean Language class. They help to correct my pronunciation before my actual presentation. They reduce my workload so that I can concentrate on my presentation only. At the end of the program, we have befriended already.

Apart from my Korean friends, I make friends with people from different countries, Indonesia, Singapore and China. When chatting with them, I can improve my mandarin and English skills. Besides, they introduce their cultures and life to me. All of them made my exchange program more interesting and memorable.

Besides, living in a country with an unfamiliar language and cultures is a challenge for me. I can’t read the menu in the restaurant. I can’t understand the announcement in the public transport. However, I have gain different experiences when I am getting out of my comfort zone. For example, I walked along the cycling trail with my friends although we have no idea how long is the trail and where is the destination. At the end, we have walked around five hours and feel proud of us. Apart from this, to be honest, I don’t like to eat Korean food before I go to Korea. Now, I like it because I am willing and brave to try new things. In other word, all that experiences allow me to be more open-minded.

Finally, getting out of my comfort zone helps me to develop myself. I have learned more life skills, especially time management and money management. I need to spend money in my budget. I need to schedule my time so that I can have a balance between sightseeing and my studies. Those skills not just useful in the exchange program but benefit for life.

To conclude, exchange program is a valuable experience for me. After joining the program, I have a deep impression about Korea and Korean. That feeling is totally different with travelling as I have more interaction with the local people. The program had finished already but the memory last forever. I hope that I can join this program again.

New experience

after this exchange, I have a more open view of the world. I enjoy it. I get to know people from different country, different backgrounds, different culture. thus expanding my view of the world. the professors are well equipped. Not only they are knowledgeable, they concern of our well being too.

Best experience in Korea

It was such an amazing opportunity joining the summer exchange program in Korea. Since I have never been to Korea, I felt excited before I headed to the place. Korean culture and the background of Kyung Hee University attracted me when I first saw the program on the website. I was passionate about Korean culture and the country. Also, Kyung Hee University is very popular and I would like to experience the Korean campus life and culture.

During the one-month exchange lives, I lived with a Year 2 girl who from HKBU. It’s lucky that we have been chatted a lot (haven’t met with each other yet) before the departure to get know of each other and we have already been closed together since Day 1. This was my very first time to live with a person other than my family, and it was grateful that we built friendship and had unforgettable memories.

I took Korean language and North Korea course there. First, it was really good that I could have lectures covered North Korea. The three lecturers had impressive and professional background with different academic interests in NK issues. For example, Professor Bong from Yongsei Uni taught about nuclear and military, and KHU professor gave the topic of human rights. Through the lectures, I was able to listen to the comments and ideas from the South Korean students, and how are their attitudes toward reunification. I like how professors and students shared and expressed their feelings about North Korea to foreign students. I also learned the value of Korea which is “We”. They believe Korean stay as a whole, even though SK and NK are separated. For example, Korean would say “Our school” in Korean rather than “My school” which is preferred in HK. They emphasize the concept of “We”.

For the Korean language course, it is good that my Korean language was improved a bit better. It also reminded me to study hard in future since learning a new language needs to spend regular learning effort. Our two teachers were from Seoul and Busan, therefore, it is fun that I could get to know more about the difference between these cities and their personalities. The teachers are so nice and energetic, even though they could not speak English well, but they could always create a happy learning atmosphere.

Other than lessons, I also learned Korean from different aspects, the most challenging is food ordering. I like to observe people’s behavior in restaurant which help me to know more their habits and usual practices. My favorite restaurant in Korea is near the university and hall residence. One thing I liked about the place is that there are no chairs and we can sit on the floor! The food was delicious but more importantly, I made friend with a lady who works there. The lady was so kind and even though she can only speak Korean, I tried my best to communicate with her. Sometimes when she saw me to have dinner alone, she would come and chat with me. I felt so happy and warm as I never expect that. Me and my roommate even visited her in the restaurant and took photos the day before we left the hall residence.
I also had some interesting memories there. For example, me and my roommate had dinner with a Korean friend who came from Kyung Hee University. After the dinner, he brought us to a cafe which was mostly visited by international students as he mentioned. We chatted over a lot of topics, from Kdrama, Kpop, campus life, politics, food, PC clubs to Hong Kong!… which is a great opportunity to share fun things altogether.

There were so many great and joyful experiences in Korea. Although we have tight lesson schedule, I was still able to explore many new places and meet new faces which I was very satisfied. Joining an exchange tour is totally different with just going on a holiday since I could experience the campus culture there and understand culture difference between HK and Korea universities. Again, thank you for having me in the summer program.

Class there

There are many classes here, but most of them are Social Science.What I choose is Korea

Language and North Korea. As for Korean Language, we will have a grade test before starting class.However, you mustn’t prepare for it. If you know litter about Korea even just writing

your name, you will be selected to class two.Don’t worry! Books and class for two class is same but class two learns faster.Korean class include two parts, one is writing and another is speaking.You should do more practice during the class.Teachers for this class is very funny. They will also prepare the culture class for the students.And you will have a presentation for final test.

Another class I chosen is North Korea.This class is divided into three parts.Politics, Economic and Human rights.One teacher charges for one part.So you will have test every Friday and the test is writing essay.From this course, you can learn a lot data about North Korea.The teacher will also ask students to share more experience.So you can hear many funny story about North Korea and establish your own attitude towards it.

My awesome adventure at Kyung Hee University :)

I would say this Korean exchange program will definitely be one of the unforgettable experiences in my life. First of all, I really enjoy my stay at Kyung Hee University. Not only is it a renowned university in Korea, it is also a very beautiful place to visit. I finally understand why this school will be regarded as one of the most worthwhile sightseeing place to visit in Seoul after my stay there. I feel very lucky that I could have an on-campus residence in Sehwawon Hall. When I arrived at there on the first day, the staff, security guides as well as other local students were very helpful and welcoming. I am very glad that they were willing to lend a hand to me, a foreign exchange student from Hong Kong. They were very friendly and kind. Students and staff there were very nice enough to guide me around the residence hall, introducing the things around there, which made me feel very blessed. Besides, I am thankful for having a Korean local roommate. She is really nice to me who always helps me with her greatest efforts. She also went sightseeing with me as well as dining out with me, which really made me feel like home in Korea. I really appreciate that. Students in Kyung Hee University are really well-manned and kind. Therefore, I have been enjoying myself to the fullest at the university. I am extremely impressed when I saw the students’ taekwondo performance in the opening ceremony. I am happy that they have done such an awesome performance on the first day of school. It was really cool to look at such important Korean traditional arts that closely, especially when Kyung Hee University is famous for their taekwondo major. It was such a great honor to have viewed the wonderful martial arts performance done by the taekwondo society. In addition, it was really nice of the university for providing us with a school tour to show us around the whole campus, which allows me to know more about the location of each building and also the history of this university. Added to the above, having lessons at Kyung Hee University is also a blessing. I have really gained a lot from the lectures I attended there in 3 three weeks times. Professors there are very patient and caring. They are always willing to help students with any kinds of issues, including giving advice concerning travelling. When you have any questions or uncertainty, they will always come and approach you. Local students from the same classroom are also incredible. It is incredible that they are prepared to introduce Korean culture to us, for example, introducing Korean food culture to us. Besides, I also love the Korean cultural week very much. The school has planned a packed yet fruitful journey for our sightseeing such as visits to the MBC TV stations, DMZ, Nami Island and so on. It is definitely worthwhile. In short, I really enjoy my time at KHU!!!:)

It's worthy being a member of the program

I had been expecting a chance to visit Korea in person because of my great interest and curiosity about everything of this country so I was so grateful that the program provided me with the chance.

Here's a great place to study. The program has a manual for all about the courses you could choose before your application. it provides many interesting courses that anybody can find what he or she wants to learn. Personally speaking, all the teachers were enthusiastic for us and willing to help us out when I had some questions.

Here's a great place to open up your horizon. During the program, I personally made a lot of friends from all over the world, experiencing different languages, cultures and customs. Moreover, we hung out frequently to see the country by our eyes such as taking a visit to the national museum, exploring Seoul City on foot, experiencing "Hallyu" at other universities and so on.

Here's also a great place to enjoy Korean food. the cafeteria in the university has many dishes which are changed day by day. Also, near the university gate has a great amount of restaurants, coffee shops and convenience stores where also have many tasty food to be explored by yourself.

Spending a splendid summer with KHU

My one-month stay at KHU has been one of the most valuable and memorable experience in my life. Not only did my proficiency in Korean improve, my understanding towards Korean history, culture and society has gradually grown deeper. Most importantly, I made a lot of new friends, including local Koreans and overseas students from various countries. The things I learnt and the memories I embraced in this exchange programme are lifelong.

Regarding my study, the two classes I enrolled in were How to Understand Culture and Politics and Korean II. For the first class, the two professors from University of Ljubljana in Slovenia and KHU taught us various social theories with illustrations of international and Korean examples, which has broadened our vision of the world’s cultural and political issues, leading us to think in a more critical way. For the Korean class, there were two native instructors and each lesson was divided into two sessions. We learnt basic vocabulary and grammar in the first half and practised the content through reading and speaking in the second half. The class would be a perfect match for beginners and for those who are interested in the language and culture of Korea.

I am grateful for my stay and the time spent with KHU. How could I forget such lovely and precious moments in my university life?

My magical experience in KyungHee! Read more where I give details

If you want to study and experience authentic Korea, then you might like this program. The Global Collaborative Program of Kyung Hee University is one of a kind. They have great professors coming from all over the world like Slavoj Zizek whom brilliantly lectured a one of a kind class. Not to mention their own amazing faculty, like Prof. Alex (Taek-Gwang) Lee, whom shared great insights and conducted classes methodically. The school is gorgeous with its neo-renaissance architecture, truly jaw-dropping. The natural scenery on campus is a welcome break from the city that doesnt seem to sleep. You might be shocked at the living situations at first. It is a bit small and cozy, unlike superfluous Western-style dormitories. It takes awhile to get used to, but don't blame the dormitory, blame the way you were conditioned by grandiose consumerism (where everything has to be big!). Cultural immersion is a big one! Oh boy, the places they'll take you! From theatre performances like "Fanta-Stick" a musical comedy that never failed to entertain to the borders of North Korea, DMZ in Pamunjong. It wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for the brilliant Miss Yu Jungah and her team (An Heejin, Rania and others). Everyone that I've met were friendly and hospitable. Don't know how to speak Korean? No problem. All you need to know is "yeongo hal su isseu yo?" (Can you speak English?). And guess what? They can! If not, there will be a friend who does. Last but not the least is the oh, so, so, delicious food! And so cheap! You don't even have to go far, its right outside campus.

The greatest take away from this program is learning how amazingly similar we all are if only we gave each other a chance. This trip was truly inspiring and world opening to me. Although there maybe more bigger trips in my future, this one was definitely once in a lifetime.

Perfect balance of professional yet personal

My experience in the Global Collaborative(GC) summer school, at Kyung Hee University, was truly remarkable. My time was spent meeting people from all over the world and discussing our passions and theories on some of our world's greatest concerns. It was truly an enlightening time in my life. With regards to career aspirations, the GC program offered me the inspirational 'spark', and the communal support of my peers, that I felt I needed for my personal development. I feel grateful for my experience in the GC program as I know it is part of the 'foundation' from which I will look to build my life's work; solving some of our world's greatest concerns!

World-wide scholars' fantastic class!

I took the class taught by Prof.John Ikenberry in 2016.

I applied for this program after attending the briefing session held at Hong Kong Baptist University :)
This program invited amazing professors and executives of international organizations! It was amazing to meet everyone at the same place at the same time.

But the dorm was kind of old and small... but it wasn't too bad after all.

If you are interested in meeting and having a chance to chat with famous professors, I strongly recommend it!