Internships In Malta
Men with facepaint of France's flag Men with facepaint of France's flag

Internships In Malta

This internship showed me how to enjoy life

I’m doing an Internship as a dietitian here in Malta. I am having a great experience learning about new cultures, meeting different people and using my skills to help others. This Internship is showing me how to enjoy life instead of just working to survive. Everyday I am just so grateful to have another day in this beautiful country. I am also thinking about looking for a job here to extend my stay as I am liking it so much and meeting so many great people.

I made friends with people who attend the same gym where I am working. They invited me to have Christmas dinner at their house and it was a really great experience. It was so nice to share a meal and the holiday with such nice people from all over the world. Meeting so many friendly people here has definitely made a huge difference in enjoying my time here.

The Most Incredible Experience

After a rather turbulent landing, I returned to New York from Malta a week ago. This has been the most incredible experience - Dr. Calleja was the consummate professional, and stepped far beyond his call of duty to ensure that I benefitted as much as possible from my program. The DHIR is a very warm and friendly environment, and my colleagues could not have been lovelier. Having had this hands-on encounter with the application of public health, I feel a lot more confident about starting my MPH program at GWU in August. The friends that I made while in Malta made the experience that much greater. If there is anything that I can do for GeoVisions to promote this, such as providing feedback, please let me know, as I would be happy to do so. I collected my certificate while in Malta, but I don't know who to contact to collect the President's Volunteer Service Award (I'm going to be at my permanent address in New York until August if it needs to be mailed). Thank you for all of your support and guidance throughout this process. Going to Malta was one of the best decisions that I have made, and I will always be grateful for it. I hope that future GeoVisions interns in Malta have as fulfilling a time as I did.

Insight In Pharmacy And Healthcare Abroad

To start off, the experience I had here was overall amazing.

The process for getting set up was rather straight forward and had very little trouble sorting out alternate accommodations abroad instead of what was provided through the program package. Therefore I cannot really comment on the hostel living other than, from what I saw, it's comparable to most university dorms.

I was set up for an internship at a large teaching hospital in Malta and I learned an immense amount of clinical pharmacy while there. Everyday mostly consisted of accompanying a pharmacist on rounds with a team of doctors with any needed translations and explanations on the side. Each week would switch to a different pharmacist that I would follow and each pharmacist had a specific specialty (and the rounds reflected such), so it was well organized to cover each possible specialty area available. This experience really showed to me the responsibility that a clinical pharmacist has and how they are an important contributor to a healthcare team as well as interesting displays of various diseases and more insight in disease management.

In terms of cultural insight, I made a point to get to know the culture that drives Malta and even the idiosyncrasies of the Maltese. I made sure to ask around the pharmacy department of any recommendations of places to visit and eventually this lead to various discussions that also discussed various interesting cultural differences.

Overall, it truly was an experience that provided many insights into healthcare, the pharmacy profession, and a culture that was previously completely unknown to me.