Spanish Immersion in Costa Rica - Instituto Estelar Bilingüe
Instituto Estelar Bilingue Header Image Instituto Estelar Bilingue Header Image

Spanish Immersion in Costa Rica - Instituto Estelar Bilingüe

Loved it

Beyond my expectations; I'll tell everyone I know how great the Spanish immersion and homestay programs are! Dorita and her family are very nice. I have learned life lessons by living with them that I could not learn anywhere else. They make me feel at home, and only talk with me in Spanish. The house is clean. The food is plentiful and delicious. I could not have received a better host family. I will forever appreciate my experience with them.

Fun, engaging class!

Very helpful. Merlyn was fun & engaging. Enjoyed her teaching style. Too much homework- Just kidding! :) Everyone was very helpful- glad most spoke English very well! I am recommending Estelar to everyone I know, and plan to take skype classes with Estelar in the near future.

Enjoyable experience

Teacher Ana was awesome! I so enjoyed my time here! I learned a lot. Fun and interactive. I stayed in Playa Hermosa and drove a rental car each day to class. Everyone was very helpful, and I was glad that most spoke English very well.

• Facilities

Cursos intensivos, interesantes y eficaces

Me ha gustado mucho el instituto durante esta semana y por eso volveré al instituto la semana próxima para aprender mejor. Cuando llegó a Liberia no conocía el instituto estelar, quería aprender español mejor, mejor español y fue bien recibida y los cursos intensivos son muy interesantes y eficaz. Muchas gracias al profesor y los empleados del instituto. Espero que que el instituto vaya a continuar enseñar. Buena suerte!

• Facilities

Expectations more than met!

The classes, instructor and home stay family more than met my expectations. I highly recommend El Instituto Estelar Bilingue. Walter is flexible in his methods and content of his classes. He readily changed the fixed lesson to concentrate on areas I felt I needed to practice. His flexibility and humor made the class both effective and fun.

Excellent school!

Excellent school, welcoming and super friendly teachers. They are willing to share some of their activities with you (yoga). Merlin es muy amable y me gusta que hay mucho tiempo conversar. Nunca tuve miedo hablar o preguntar algo. I have had so much fun this week. It makes learning a pleasure.
Happy to provide feedback for anyone considering coming who may have questions. I have enjoyed a number of extracurricular activities this week and look forward to more excursions.

• Facilities

I hope to return to Estelar!

I have very much enjoyed my experience at Instituto Estelar. The staff are incredibly helpful, friendly and skilled. My teachers, Merlyn and Sonia, were absolutely lovely and very competent. I learned a lot!! I hope to come back again as this feels like home now.

I was able to participate in all the activities except the language exchange with English students. Spanglish was my favourite extracurricular as I was able to meet many of the teachers who were very friendly. Mariajuana restaurante, where Spanglish Social takes place, has great food and drinks! Club A is fun ... a bit loco with kid energy, and I am happy that the Instituto is trying to help needy children learn English. I will let my friends in Canada know about the fundraising for playground equipment and hope that some may decide to support this worthwhile project! I have been fortunate to take advantage of opportunities for excursions to rivers, falls and parks that were arranged through the school with a specific Spanish guide, Offi. He is very friendly, reliable and trustworthy.

My host family was very friendly and helpful. They welcomed me in and treated my like part of their family. I had my own room with a nice big ceiling fan, which was very helpful! I met other students there and we hit if off. Luckily the family lived very close to the school, for which I was grateful as I have a bad sense of direction.

I would be happy to return to the school for another learning experience. It is great that Liberia is not far from beautiful beaches as well! Thank you to all my teachers, Ana and Bethany, for your warm welcome!! Hasta luego!

I keep coming back!

I have been to Estelar twice in the last two years. I have been very pleased with the instructors and with the amount of Spanish I have learned in my five weeks here. I highly recommend this school-they have extremely qualified instructors who teach in a fun and effective manner. Marta gave an interesting, educational and fun cooking class.

Excellent teacher

Ana is an excellent teacher. She is challenging, creative, energetic, and keeps her students engaged besides being just a good caring person. This comes from someone who has trained as a teacher,engaged in a variety of education forms, and loves learning. Many thanks, Ana and Instituto Estelar Bilingue!

Amazing immersion program!

I have just finished the one week Spanish Immersion Program and it was an incredible experience! My Spanish has improved so much in such a short time. The Spanish teacher was very charming, likeable and I never felt lost. It also helped me grow my confidence in talking in Spanish. I can take everything I have learnt and use it in real life context, which is awesome. Highly recommended!

Excellent Spanish classes

I took a series of 2-hour Spanish lessons and greatly improved my ability to have a conversation. I was at the intermediate level and needed to get to a point where I was more functional with the language. Reading and writing comes fairly easily for me, but speaking and listening do not. That's where Walter's expert teaching skills came in! I am communicating with greater ease now. Thanks!

Great immersion experience

Spanish classes at Estelar are so much fun! Adriana is such a fun professor, always organized, and always interesting. It was a pleasure to take her class. Yelba, my host mom, was so kind and welcoming. I felt completely comfortable the entire time, and she was great about cooking and cleaning. She went above and beyond her required activities. Estelar is a great place to immerse yourself in Spanish :)

Awesome teacher

Spanish classes at Estelar are so much fun! Adriana is such a fun professor, always organized, and always interesting. It was a pleasure to take her class. Fue excelente y divertido - Adriana es una maestra professional y de calidad.

Medical Spanish program

I loved my experience at Estelar! The teachers are very professional and are very good at teaching. The staff is kind and helpful. We worked at the hospital in the mornings and took Spanish in the afternoons. It was really great. My homestay family was amazing, and my favorite volunteer activity was Club A, hands down. The hike we did was wet but fun. I definitely recommend this school if you are interested in learning English or Spanish.

An amazing week

I just completed my first week of Spanish class. I am an English teacher at Estelar, and so taking advantage of the Spanish classes was at the top of my list. This week was amazing. My Spanish is not strong and in 5 days I am so much more confident. A lot of words came back to me from high school. Lol. But best of all were the small classes with great teachers, the field trips and learning how to cook a Costa Rican favorite. I can't wait to take on this opportunity again. Gracias Merlyn!

• Facilities

Hands down, the best program!

Studying Spanish here was wonderful. The school environment is warm and welcoming, and I met a bunch of Costa Ricans who study English there. My favorite activity was Spanglish Social. Actually, I really loved volunteering at Club A too - those kids are amazing and super appreciative. I hope to go back soon, but in the meantime, I'm taking classes on Skype with my favorite teacher, Caroly. I definitely recommend this school!

Great immersion experience

This is a great immersion experience- demanding but if you want to learn Spanish- the classes and entire environment are very supportive. The teacher was very supportive of all learning styles and still managed to make it mostly conversational. Gracias, profesora Adriana!

Awesome Spanish teacher!

I had an excellent learning experience at Instituto Estelar. My teacher, Adriana, was terrific - very professional and we had at least 1/2 to one hour of conversation each class (sometimes more). I thoroughly enjoyed, and benefited from, every minute of class. The time flew by every day as class was so fun. It is hard to believe how much I learned from Adriana while having a good time. I will miss her very much.

• Facilities

From Japan to Costa Rica!

It was a great experience for me to study Spanish in the Institute for 4 weeks, and to travel various places for 2 weeks in Costa Rica. Thanks of teachers of Spanish and other stuffs in the Institute and my host family, I could enjoy the lesson and the travel. The location of the Institute has an advantage that the beaches are not far away from the Institute, 1 hour by bus. I strongly recommend the Institute to the people who love both studying Spanish and marine sports like diving.

Increased confidence in Spanish

I came here to become more proficient in Spanish and the combination of daily classes, a homestay, and the extracurricular activities have given me increased confidence in being able to converse with people. The staff is very caring, helpful and friendly - always smiling! I feel very fortunate to have had Merlyn as my teacher! She really cared about my experience and made it very enjoyable. I loved the games! She was always very prepared and helpful. We probably spoke in Spanish 85-90% of the time! She even went out of her way to go with me for lunch and for helado! I will miss her!

Welcoming and fun school

Estelar Bilingual School has made my stay in Costa Rica much more welcoming and fun. Everyone is so friendly and helpful! And the classes are well planned and very informative. After just one week I already feel an improvement in my Spanish speaking. I am very happy I made the decision to study here!

• Facilities

Great experience for everyone!

I am very willing to give a recommendation and make many positive comments. Especially for older folks who might want to study outside the US. I also want to say that the family host program, at least with Yelba, is great. I highly recommend this school as a way to learn Spanish at your own pace among other serious students; to experience life in Costa Rica as a native; live with a Costa Rican family if you choose; learn to cook and then to eat your own Costa RIcan cuisine; and, of course, do all this in a warm climate. I am an older American and can assure you, this not just a school for kids, it's a great experience for anybody and everybody.

• Facilities

Great program! I would highly recommend!

Estelar Bilingue offers comprehensive Spanish instruction with knowledgeable and dedicated teachers. The learning environment is very fun and professional. I have a home on the coast, so I did not do the homestay program. I definitely recommend this school and plan on going back for more classes!

• Facilities

Me mucha gusta the school!

My boyfriend and I spoke little to no Spanish but now we have a strong base to work with when we go on to travel other parts of Costa Rica and Central America. The food and hospitality at the homestay was incredible and we loved going to the beach with our homestay family and practicing our spanish on the weekend! A definite highlight was volunteering with Club A, working with the ninos was an absolutly incredible experience.Overall I definitely recommend this school!

• Facilities

Amazing week full of learning!

Estelar Bilingue was an amazing place to learn Spanish. I was only here for one week and learned so much, it made me able to speak basic Spanish for the remainder of my Costa Rican adventure. I would reccomend it to anybody! I think my teacher Merlyn did a great job of helping us speak basic Spanish, which is why we took this class. Also, if it is possible, I think it would be awesome if there was an opportunity to have a homestay at her house in the mountains because it is an amazing and beautiful place. Thank you for helping me learn Spanish! Hasta luego y muchos gracias.