Fruit Tree Planting Foundation Header Image Fruit Tree Planting Foundation Header Image

Help Us Plant 100,000 Fruit Trees in El Salvador!

An older woman in El Salvador

I volunteered in June of 2015 to help plant fruit trees in the area surrounding San Salvador. What a unique experience! We stayed in a hotel run by women in San Salvador. We planted in schools and co-ops in the surrounding towns. What a way to really experience a country's people and culture than by working hand in hand with them, being invited into their homes, meeting their families and being in towns that see few, if any, tourists. I watched futbol in a local bar, marched in a Environmental Day Parade, at the local food and, best of all, saw the results of previous plantings. I heard people tell of how having a local food source and the opportunity to sell the results had helped better their lives. It was truly a wonderful way to see a country and feel the satisfaction of knowing you are helping others and the environment without asking anything of them but to sustain the trees. I would recommend this chance to anyone, of any age, who wants to give back and gain real insight into a country and its people.

The gateway

This trip was the gateway to quite literally changing my life. It was the first trip I took with the Fruit Tree Planting Foundation back in 2014. I had lived and worked abroad before, yet I had never done a volunteer trip such a this one before, and boy, were my expectations met and surpassed.

For 10 days, we traveled around rural El Salvador, from the city to the mountains to the beach, planting thousands of fruit trees with hundreds of people. Afterward the plantings, we often spent time with families in their homes, sharing meals and conversations about the challenges facing their local community, their country, and the world at large. It was inspiring and challenging, and from then on I continued volunteering with FTPF an entire year, following them all over the world on projects that taught me not only about plants and trees, but about people and our world. A sincere thank you to FTPF!